New Light & Medium Duty News

6 hours ago, barney9014 said:

Thanks for posting that!  I thought I saw a picture of an F53 chassis somewhere that was NOT finished in the standard black E-coat, and there it is again.  Heard a story about that.  Some years ago, a big package delivery outfit with brown trucks got tired of having to replace their 'package cars' because of chassis corrosion, and told their suppliers they wanted the whole chassis galvanized or they wouldn't buy them.  2 chassis manufacturers figured out how to get it done (wasn't cheap or easy), one said forget it.  So, for the next several years guess who didn't sell 'Brown' any chassis?  Looks like someone in Dearborn done seen the light!

Also, I wonder about the mention of the CNG/LNG prep package.  If I am reading that right, it indicates that the 7.3L can be configured for gaseous fuels.  First time I have seen that mentioned, and on the Super Duty trucks CNG/LNG prep is only offered on the 6.2L.

Edited by 7Mary3

On 1/1/2020 at 7:58 AM, SteelyD said:

No use posting on here. This thread is reserved for the truck experts to show off their supposed knowledge of all except Ford.

Not quite sure what your point is.  This has been a very active  thread ever since Joe"76" started it.  And it seems to me there are a lot of frequent posters who all bring some different perspective on the subject.

I note you recently indicated you are employed by Ford in Power Train engineering. Great- hopefully without putting yourself in jeopardy you can provide some insights that many of us are lacking.

One thing for sure, I would say most people who  frequent this sight are passionate about Ford-and Ford trucks in particular.  Make that "big" Ford trucks. 

And most respect the other guys opinion.

Just returned from Myrtle Beach with the RV.  Cursing up I-95, I passed PJ's Truck Bodies in Dunn, NC.  Several trucks were there waiting to be completed.  What I saw there, granted, I didn't take time to stop, but from what I could see on the road driving by were mostly F-350 through 550's50's waiting to be completed.  There were some Avon Lake 650/750s there, not sure of the mix and a few of the new GM/Navistar MDs there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hwyman3 said:

Just returned from Myrtle Beach with the RV.  Cursing up I-95, I passed PJ's Truck Bodies in Dunn, NC.  Several trucks were there waiting to be completed.  What I saw there, granted, I didn't take time to stop, but from what I could see on the road driving by were mostly F-350 through 550's50's waiting to be completed.  There were some Avon Lake 650/750s there, not sure of the mix and a few of the new GM/Navistar MDs there.

Don't drive angry.....lol

• Haha 1

Ford those suggesting that a second smaller gasoline engine be added to F Series  after

the  6.2 V8 ends in a few years time, I refer to 2020 E Series with 7.3 V in two power levels.

This would seem to be Ford's future plan to simplify power trains by offering different power

levels of the same engine in commercial vehicles.

4 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Ford those suggesting that a second smaller gasoline engine be added to F Series  after

the  6.2 V8 ends in a few years time, I refer to 2020 E Series with 7.3 V in two power levels.

This would seem to be Ford's future plan to simplify power trains by offering different power

levels of the same engine in commercial vehicles.

I wonder if the lower power rated engines yield better MPG's.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I wonder if the lower power rated engines yield better MPG's.

More than likely, at first I thought it was just some sort of load dependent rating but  it seems to be

more akin to better fuel efficiency using the same engine. So I wonder if F250/F350 end up with a

base 350 hp  7.3 engine that's more capable (better torque curve)  than the 6.2 it replaces.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

US chassis cab. 2019 versus 2020.  They’ve made the transit a little more muscular looking. Subtle changes in front cap. 
https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit-chassis/models/chassis-cab/

09B01120-3C8D-4ED2-B5FE-F6CDF7C7A5F9.jpeg

3CFD1677-E83B-4AED-BEC7-FEA92B3105A7.jpeg

Edited by barney9014

Wow, nice piece of hardware!  I don't see any truck/commercial application for it (still too small, 4 valve DOHC useless, probably too expensive), but this will make a lot of Mustang owners very happy.  Would be nice in a reborn Lightning or maybe that 5.0L Ranger Raptor.  

3 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

Holy fisheye, Batman! For the love of Pete, take a step back and go to a more neutral zoom level!

It’s a HP part for big effort drag racing, I can't see a single application for commercial vehicles,

hence my jest regarding a Medium Duty Ranger....

Sometimes my sarcasm is a bit hard to spot but yeah,  I've been saying over and over

that there's no need to replace the 6.2 with another engine...

Edited by jpd80

32 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

It’s a HP part for big effort drag racing, I can't see a single application for commercial vehicles,

hence my jest regarding a Medium Duty Ranger....

Sometimes my sarcasm is a bit hard to spot but yeah,  I've been saying over and over

that there's no need to replace the 6.2 with another engine...

I'm thinking you meant to quote a different post? I was just commenting on the wide-angle distortion in the video that made the block look like a scale model...

• Haha 1

That iron block is a pretty big deal. The loomnum coyote block is reliable to about 800ish HP whereas the old iron 5.4 blocks (and 4.6 to a lesser extent) were good to 1200+ and is a big reason the very fastest mod motor powered cars and still running 5.4 derivatives.  Block availability and hp capacity is currently one parameter the LSx has it all over the coyote so it's good to see Ford addressing the issue.

Hopefully Ford can find a use for the iron block in some trucks. If for no other reason than I can find them in a junk yard in ten years ?

On 1/3/2020 at 5:11 PM, twintornados said:

I wonder if the lower power rated engines (especially in the E-Series) yield better MPG's.

My gut says it is NOT related to MPG !  More likely it is related to packaging (they need to modify the intake or exhaust manifold in order to "fit the hole") and/or a heat issue.  Ride shutgun in an older E-series with a modular engine and you feet get warm after awhile !

I do know there is a lot of interest in the Class A and Class C RV market for the new powertrain.  The V10 was reliable, but fuel economy wasn't great.  Many consumers complained that to make power, you had to spin the engine up to pretty high RPM.  The engine could take it, but the drivers were concerned (noise), especially if you lost momentum going up hill and the transmission had to downshift an extra gear.