New Light & Medium Duty News

Maverick?

Back to Avon Lake, will that plant become the home of all Ford BEV's, like what GM is doing at Detroit-Hamtramck?  

Could a large (UPS sized) delivery van be the upcoming 'not as we know it' medium duty? 

Edited by 7Mary3

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

It was on the previous page.

HRG

EQpD8WsWkAASBlw.jpg

6 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Look at the product in the right upper corner:

EQpD8WsWkAASBlw?format=jpg&name=medium

Thanks for posting the picture. I couldn't see it on previous page as it just showed the embed code instead as I quoted above.

When was this photo released by Ford? Interesting to see that big vehicle on upper right as been discussed here. I do wonder if that vehicle is European-only as the vehicles shown are also European as with the: Transit Custom and Tourneo vans, Fiesta and Focus, Mondeo wagon, and Puma vehicles. There is the Mach-E which I'm guessing are Ford's vehicles to be sold in Europe as part of their electrified plans. So I'm wondering why the vehicle at upper right would be thought as new vehicle to be built at OHAP? I thought it was the two BEVs as recently announced by Ford as discussed also here. So I'm rather intrigued to see what that vehicle is as well as the upcoming announcement. I am pretty sure we'll hear at the Work Truck Show in a few weeks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

Thanks for posting the picture. I couldn't see it on previous page as it just showed the embed code instead as I quoted above.

When was this photo released by Ford? Interesting to see that big vehicle on upper right as been discussed here. I do wonder if that vehicle is European-only as the vehicles shown are also European as with the: Transit Custom and Tourneo vans, Fiesta and Focus, Mondeo wagon, and Puma vehicles. There is the Mach-E which I'm guessing are Ford's vehicles to be sold in Europe as part of their electrified plans. So I'm wondering why the vehicle at upper right would be thought as new vehicle to be built at OHAP? I thought it was the two BEVs as recently announced by Ford as discussed also here. So I'm rather intrigued to see what that vehicle is as well as the upcoming announcement. I am pretty sure we'll hear at the Work Truck Show in a few weeks.

Picture was released yesterday by Ford Europe during the Euro launch of the Mach E

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

Now that is big news as far as Ford is concerned.  Too bad Landi-Renzo can't partner up with Manning Equipment to do the installs at their Avon Lake facility.  Pretty expensive to build a truck in Ohio then send it to Calif. for modification then ship it back east???

2 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Now that is big news as far as Ford is concerned.  Too bad Landi-Renzo can't partner up with Manning Equipment to do the installs at their Avon Lake facility.  Pretty expensive to build a truck in Ohio then send it to Calif. for modification then ship it back east???

Big news but not unexpected.  Landi currently converts 6.2L and 6.8L F series to CNG, with both of those engines going away they had to switch to the 7.3L.     

20 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

For those that are wondering, RNG is "poop fume" power primarily, but also from landfills and waste water treatment plants!!! never heard of it before...interesting indeed.

In addition to operating on compressed natural gas (CNG), the engine will also be able to utilize renewable natural gas (RNG). RNG fuel is organic-based and is carbon net-negative when used by natural gas trucks. RNG provides a 70% reduction in greenhouse gases versus gasoline or diesel. 

6 minutes ago, twintornados said:

For those that are wondering, RNG is "poop fume" power primarily, but also from landfills and waste water treatment plants!!! never heard of it before...interesting indeed.

So that old joke of "save gas, fart in a jar" isnt a joke anymore.

• Haha 1

Well I guess my observations here in New England don't pan out according to nationwide sales figures.  I see a lot of Ram Promasters and not many Chevy Express but Chevy has impressive sales along with the GMC version.  Sprinter sales are dismal!  E-series aren't bad considering it takes a backseat to the Transit.

2019 US Passenger Car Sales Figures by Model | GCBC

Edited by Joe771476

I just saw for the first time in my entire life a Dodge/Ram Eversource (formerly Connecticut Light & Power) utility truck!!!!   They used Ford light, medium and HD trucks for decades until Ford dumped the heavies in 1997. Everybody wants a piece of Ford in class 3 thru 7 and they're taking it!  Time for Ford to take somebody else's action!  Ford needs to diversify into heavy truck, bus (including school buses, city mass transit buses and interstate motorcoaches) and fire apparatus........NOW!!!   If they don't want to sell cars, then let's get going!   Return to the glory days when the Ford C-series was the most popular commercial chassis -- heck probably the most popular including custom chassis!  Team up with Rosenbauer maybe.  I know Pierce is supposedly still using Ford diesels in one of their pumper apparatus lines, but Pierce is owned by Oshkosh I believe.  The Bluebird Bus Co. was born in a Ford dealership.  If Bluebird could share components with Ford mediums, big dollar savings could be had.  Bluebird Vision buses are using a Ford/Roush propane set-up already. But electric-wise, Bluebird is using a Cummins electric set-up.  Ford should buy Bluebird and leave it alone (and I mean LEAVE IT ALONE) , except when Ford gets a suitable electric drivetrain, dump the Cummins. These school buses go from around $80,000 to $150,000.  City mass transit buses and interstate motorcoaches go for around $400,000.   How can you justify that kind of money for an engine/chassis, basically a metal box with windows, and some seats??!! Fire trucks go from $500,000 for pumpers to $1 million for ladder trucks!  These guys are making a ton of money because I don't care how much shiny paint, chrome, diamond plate, electronics and hydraulics are in these fire trucks, they aren't worth that money.  The reason why they get these prices is because they don't sell that many so they have to pad the price to make it worth opening the factory doors every day!    Same for buses.  It's like the old adage, you can sell apples for a million bucks a piece and it's going to be a tough sell, but you only have to sell one!!!  Check out the links below.  By the way, you don't see that much chrome and diamond plate on fire apparatus in other parts of the world.

Blue Bird Corporation - Wikipedia

Electric School Buses

3 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

I just saw for the first time in my entire life a Dodge/Ram Eversource (formerly Connecticut Light & Power) utility truck!!!!   They used Ford light, medium and HD trucks for decades until Ford dumped the heavies in 1997. Everybody wants a piece of Ford in class 3 thru 7 and they're taking it!  Time for Ford to take somebody else's action!  Ford needs to diversify into heavy truck, bus (including school buses, city mass transit buses and interstate motorcoaches) and fire apparatus........NOW!!!   If they don't want to sell cars, then let's get going!   Return to the glory days when the Ford C-series was the most popular commercial chassis -- heck probably the most popular including custom chassis!  Team up with Rosenbauer maybe.  I know Pierce is supposedly still using Ford diesels in one of their pumper apparatus lines, but Pierce is owned by Oshkosh I believe.  The Bluebird Bus Co. was born in a Ford dealership.  If Bluebird could share components with Ford mediums, big dollar savings could be had.  Bluebird Vision buses are using a Ford/Roush propane set-up already. But electric-wise, Bluebird is using a Cummins electric set-up.  Ford should buy Bluebird and leave it alone (and I mean LEAVE IT ALONE) , except when Ford gets a suitable electric drivetrain, dump the Cummins. These school buses go from around $80,000 to $150,000.  City mass transit buses and interstate motorcoaches go for around $400,000.   How can you justify that kind of money for an engine/chassis, basically a metal box with windows, and some seats??!! Fire trucks go from $500,000 for pumpers to $1 million for ladder trucks!  These guys are making a ton of money because I don't care how much shiny paint, chrome, diamond plate, electronics and hydraulics are in these fire trucks, they aren't worth that money.  The reason why they get these prices is because they don't sell that many so they have to pad the price to make it worth opening the factory doors every day!    Same for buses.  It's like the old adage, you can sell apples for a million bucks a piece and it's going to be a tough sell, but you only have to sell one!!!  Check out the links below.  By the way, you don't see that much chrome and diamond plate on fire apparatus in other parts of the world.

Electric School Buses

Blue Bird would be the logical choice, if Ford were to buy a bus manufacturer.  They are the last of the big 3 in buses not currently owned by a truck manufacturer (Thomas is owned by Freightliner, IC (the old Ward and AmTran) is International.  The only change I would make at Blue Bird would be to start using the F-650 chassis as a basis for the Vision bus (Blue Bird's conventional).  

As for Ford partnering with Rosenbauer, I really don't see that happening.  Fire Apparatus on commercial chassis are slowly becoming extinct.  For one, the apparatus manufacturers are more interested in selling their own chassis, much greater profit margin.  Second, every department these days wants you to build their truck, not them buying yours.  Everything is pretty much custom built anymore.  Third, the NFPA guidelines for apparatus has further pushed commercial chassis out of the market.  Finally, there has been a huge consolidation in the apparatus market.  REV Group already owns E-One, KME, Ferrara, and they just bought Spartan ERV.  REV also has 8 different Ambulance builders.  In the days when the Ford C-Series ruled the fire engine market, the apparatus builders weren't building their own chassis (except for Mack who exited the fire market in the early 90s).  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Electric School Buses

Joe-was that Dodge a bucket truck?  Been a long time since I have seen a Dodge in the Lancaster Altech facility awaiting a bucket install.

I would spec cummins in heavy duty or on the outside detroits..the PS is fine in f500 for a paramedic rescue truck..u see any v8 diesel in tractors?...there is a reason for that......ford can build fire trucks but i would urge caution if they are even contemplating such matters...they are individually spec'd even by volunteer depts and built to what they want down to how compartments are layed out...its not a one all take all approach....we cant even buy individual options anymore without paying for there package add-on garbage and we expect ford to build one off tankers, aerials and pumpers?....the bus idea i like if the 7.3 could be used...that should be looked at along with getting lincoln in its own assembly plant

8 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I read somewhere that the new (2021?) 650/750's will have composite cab doors.  Anyone heard the same?

No-but if true that suggests a completely new cab.  Can't believe they would mess with doors on existing cab- unless of course composite doors then go on all SD cabs-which might be the case. 

As I've said before-let's see what shows up at Work Truck Show in a couple of weeks.   And again, when I see the number of dealers around here that have added Commercial sales people as well as started stocking 650/750's (I imagine there is some service qualification level that must be met to do that--$$$) we just might see a renewed effort.

12 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

No-but if true that suggests a completely new cab.  Can't believe they would mess with doors on existing cab- unless of course composite doors then go on all SD cabs-which might be the case. 

Disagree.  They could easily outsource the doors or build them at one of the plants already stamping aluminum.  Forget any kind of FRP.

Actually, for the small weight savings, why would the do it at all ?