New Light & Medium Duty News

8 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

By the way, is Ford shutting medium duty operations at Avon Lake, while the other mfrs. are still pumping out mediums?  Not too smart!

Do not know if it is smart or not, but they are not an essential facility, and ordered shut down by the OH dept of Health.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 10:25 AM, SteelyD said:

Hmmm! Haven't brought any with me at Ford Powertrain Engineering lately.  FYI The profit center for the 7.3 is F Super Duty. The Med Duty as you know it has a short life.

Even if medium duty does have a short life, this is good news:

https://www.truckinginfo.com/354833/2020-medium-duty-truck-of-the-year-ford-f-650

Pretty good considering there is not much new other than the 7.3L.  I might be in the market for a medium duty (rollback car carrier) and I hope the F-650 is still around if/when I am in the market.  Also hope by that time the 650  has the current aluminum Super Duty cab on it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Even if medium duty does have a short life, this is good news:

https://www.truckinginfo.com/354833/2020-medium-duty-truck-of-the-year-ford-f-650

Pretty good considering there is not much new other than the 7.3L.  I might be in the market for a medium duty (rollback car carrier) and I hope the F-650 is still around if/when I am in the market.  Also hope by that time the 650  has the current aluminum Super Duty cab on it.

But they really need air brakes for the gas option.   Can't understand why  that is such a big deal to incorporate NOW .

56 minutes ago, twintornados said:

From what I've read, the 2021 line will be offered in Q4....

That is correct.  My point was  why the delay?  If you  have the same axles and brakes on a 650 or 750 that is powered by a PS, you can get air on those axles.  Same chassis with the same axle package but the 7.3?.."nope-take a number" -next model year.

Would like to know the rationale behind that.  Some regulatory BS?  Stopping test certifications???

13 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

What are we talking about, "medium duty has a short life"?

That was in reference to SteelyD's post on 12/30/2019.  His exact phrase was "Med Duty as you know it has a short life".  He never elaborated and since I believe he may be a Ford employee, he may not be able to.   

Edited by 7Mary3

This lead to a little edit of my previous post:  

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2020/04/16/ford-announces-changes-to-automotive-operations.html

In the paragraph on Ted Cannis's new duties, there is this:

"This new business aligns functional areas to deliver holistic customer solutions and optimizes operations to improve ALIGNMENT WITH  POTENTIAL PARTNERS".

Wonder what that means! 

Edited by 7Mary3

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2020/04/16/ford-announces-changes-to-automotive-operations.html

"This new business aligns functional areas to deliver holistic customer solutions and optimizes operations to improve ALIGNMENT WITH  POTENTIAL PARTNERS".

Wonder what that means! 

Maybe Ford  needs a new MAN in its life.......

14 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Maybe Ford  needs a new MAN in its life.......

Don't think it would be MAN or Scania, they are Traton now and are being spun off of VW.  Their eyes are on Navistar.  That is unless they have given up on Navistar and are looking for someone else.  But I doubt that.

2 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Wonder what that means! 

7m3 posted a similar message on another site in which he suggested Cannis's remarks suggested  things would not "end well" and this was my response to that....

"Is  this what you are saying  won't end well???......This new business aligns functional areas to deliver holistic customer solutions and optimizes operations to improve alignment with potential partners .  

Perhaps you are right.  Unfortunately in the age of  "Hackett speak" you just can't escape buzzwords.  I'm hopeful it refers to alignments with perhaps those who provide further integration with maybe load sharing, dispatch centralization etc  , stuff like that.

One thing that will show promise is the fact that two regional guys for commercial truck, one North America, one Europe will be reporting to the same guy.  Maybe we will see some further  reliance on Ford Otosan who for quite a while now has been referred to  as "Fords heavy truck design center" or some similar description.  So  far seems like we have never seen evidence of that in the US..Maybe that will change for the better.

One frequent poster here who is a Ford annuitant has frequently said an assignment to commercial trucks is the kiss of death as far a career path is concerned.  The fact that commercial vehicles is featured in  this announcement says that perhaps that is not the case for sure."

Now I should clarify my comment as I  guess I've had a long day?as in my post I referred to a "Ford annutitant"....right church wrong pew- this is the site where that reference is appropriate.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

Don't think it would be MAN or Scania, they are Traton now and are being spun off of VW.  Their eyes are on Navistar.  That is unless they have given up on Navistar and are looking for someone else.  But I doubt that.

I know, I was just piling on top with the automotive equivalent of Tinder

Swipe left. ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I know, I was just piling on top with the automotive equivalent of Tinder

Swipe left. ?

But then again, should a Navistar deal not happen......  And, there has been deafening silence since Traton made an offer for NAV a few months ago. 

• Thanks 1

..." to deliver holistic customer solutions "  Years ago we called statements like that bafflegarb, designed to sound like you know more than the next guy without saying anything to commit yourself to anything. Why not just say "we want to provide the right product for the customer that provides excellent performance at a reasonable total cost and make money doing it".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lfeg said:

..." to deliver holistic customer solutions "  Years ago we called statements like that bafflegarb, designed to sound like you know more than the next guy without saying anything to commit yourself to anything. Why not just say "we want to provide the right product for the customer that provides excellent performance at a reasonable total cost and make money doing it".

"Hackett Speak".....some in the business press will applaud his bold vision.   And the stock will stay in the ash can!  but Ifeg, you must understand, this press release was written by the same people that highlighted the importance of an air compressor on 650/750 chassis as it could be used to "power horns and seats"!  The same people who featured the "tractor" option on a 750 for "towing".

But I know- I'm old ?

2 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Funny how they put this reorganization report out Thursday afternoon and announced a $2B surprise loss today (Friday).  As they say, timing is everything!  It will be interesting to see what the stock does on Monday.  

Ford stock rose 3.64% today (Friday).  Actually beat the S&P and Dow averages.

8 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Funny how they put this reorganization report out Thursday afternoon and announced a $2B surprise loss today (Friday).  As they say, timing is everything!  It will be interesting to see what the stock does on Monday.  

Closed at 5.12 today, up 3.64%.  But should it surprise anyone that all automotives are in ash can?  GM closed at 22.48, up 7.71%

On 4/9/2020 at 5:13 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

That is correct.  My point was  why the delay?  If you  have the same axles and brakes on a 650 or 750 that is powered by a PS, you can get air on those axles.  Same chassis with the same axle package but the 7.3?.."nope-take a number" -next model year.

Would like to know the rationale behind that.  Some regulatory BS?  Stopping test certifications???

If you look at this slide-show, there is a picture of a 7.3L with a compressor on it.  It could not have taken too much effort to attach an air brake compressor like that!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/how-tos/slideshows/ford-updates-its-best-selling-commercial-truck-lineup-609367

Bad news in Transport Topics mag. Class 7 sales rose 10% mostly due to Paccar's sales increase, class 6 plunged 44%, mostly due to Ford's 49% drop!  I'm seeing a ton of Paccar home fuel oil trucks that used to be Fords and Internationals.  Hey it's so easy to downsize for Paccar or anybody who makes class 8.  

13 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

If you look at this slide-show, there is a picture of a 7.3L with a compressor on it.  It could not have taken too much effort to attach an air brake compressor like that!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/how-tos/slideshows/ford-updates-its-best-selling-commercial-truck-lineup-609367

agree- looks like "110" is the bracket and the tensioner is  what looks like rod going down to block/pan with an oil line attached to it?  Or was there some sarcasm in your comment?.  In any case can't imagine what the big deal was.  You design a new power plant for medium duty and and an air compressor is viewed as an after thought?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Bad news in Transport Topics mag. Class 7 sales rose 10% mostly due to Paccar's sales increase, class 6 plunged 44%, mostly due to Ford's 49% drop!  I'm seeing a ton of Paccar home fuel oil trucks that used to be Fords and Internationals.  Hey it's so easy to downsize for Paccar or anybody who makes class 8.  

Joe- just drove in local Jer-dan distributor this AM.  Must be 10 + new Hino's ready to go and 5+ Paccars also ready for pick up.  And you are right about the Paccars in home heat.  These guys don't seem to hesitate to spend the money.  given seasonal nature of home heat, they will have them 10+ years.  Still quite a few LN-8000's in this neck of woods.

I wouldn't get excited right now though about any sales stats.