New Light & Medium Duty News

21 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Bob, my tree guy is indeed a Ford guy!  Loves his F750 Powerstroke!  He also has two mid-80's L9000 cranes w/Cummins  and Detroit.  Yeah Bob, I think you're right about the possible Mack demise, however I just read Mack Defense is testing trucks for US military use, so maybe to stay "American", they might keep it, for a while at least.  I finally saw my dream TV ad!  Ford bragging PROUDly about their leadership in supplying emergency vehicles!  Now we need a C9000 tandem axle pumper/tanker!

Always good to hear Joe when someone is having good experience with their Power Stroke in a 650/750.  The skeptics still remain that it is   a "pick up" motor.  Is it a bucket/chipbox or a dedicated  chip box?  As a kid I remember that tree guys had "climbing spikes" and a lot of rope.  Today it seems if a guy wants to compete he needs a crane.  There are plenty of guys around here with big time stuff- Groves, Big Nationals on tri axle chassis etc.  I should also add that every couple of weeks one of these guys  doesn't read load charts or doesn't use pads under his out riggers and he makes the six o'clock news!

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford class 6 sales have recovered to pre-covid levels, so whatever Ford is doing is working

Class 7 is only a few hundred.

Keep in mind Ford now has 2 class 6 models, that may count for some of the increase.  What was the ratio between F-600 and F-650 sales? 

12 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Keep in mind Ford now has 2 class 6 models, that may count for some of the increase.  What was the ratio between F-600 and F-650 sales? 

For what its worth, the two truck rags that cover New England (one monthly, one  bi weekly) have many dealer ads featuring their inventory, I have yet to see a dealer indicating any F-600 inventory.  Not sure where JP gets his stats but I have always been confused as to how those  numbers  are compiled- dealer order to factory, or sale off dealer lot????

Ice Capades would probably know.

43 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

For what its worth, the two truck rags that cover New England (one monthly, one  bi weekly) have many dealer ads featuring their inventory, I have yet to see a dealer indicating any F-600 inventory.  Not sure where JP gets his stats but I have always been confused as to how those  numbers  are compiled- dealer order to factory, or sale off dealer lot????

If you want to tag I.C., you need to put the "@" in front of his name like this... @ice-capades

2 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

A quick look at Ford's Vehicle Locator shows (17) 2020 F-600 Chassis Cabs within the closest 300 dealerships, furthest being 180 miles away... 1 Retail Order, 2 Stock & 14 Fleet. Oldest unit manufactured 50 days ago. Some fleet units may have been ordered for specific fleet accounts but not to be delivered until a future date. There is no F-650 inventory showing in the same search area. OTD (Order-to-Delivery) for bodies, etc. to be installed can be a month or longer plus installation time. Inventory, regardless of order type, will show in Dealer's inventory until reported to Ford as sold and delivered. There's little reason for a dealership to advertise F-600 unless they're a large dealership and have extra inventory or inventory that was ordered for a customer that cancelled for some reason. Dealers cannot cancel inventory orders once they're scheduled.

Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Bob, I have to be careful what I say these days, the info is commercially sensitive, even hinting

at the source can be bad. F-600, F-650 & F-750 are normally built to order, not dealer stock. 

It looks like F-650 has recovered and F-600 is still small sales numbers maybe 10% of that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Bob, I have to be careful what I say these days, the info is commercially sensitive, even hinting

at the source can be bad. F-600, F-650 & F-750 are normally built to order, not dealer stock. 

It looks like F-650 has recovered and F-600 is still small sales numbers maybe 10% of that.

Ice and JP- thx for responses- I'm still confused.  I always thought a "fleet" order was a "done deal"... in other words  the term "fleet" to me says it is a committed order with a customer name on it.   

I know my local dealer now has a 650 7.3 chassis, A 650 PS all set up with a 4-6 yd dump and a 750 V-10 set up with a dump.  Plus there are at least 3 650's at other dealerships set up  with dump bodies and another 650 chassis.  There were also two 750 Dumps in one of the last "rags" but new edition indicates only one so one apparent sale of a stock truck.

Sure do miss the monthly stats that HDT used to publish.

Manufacturers like Ford generally don't want that kind of sales data shared or broken down,

you're lucky to get classes 4 to 7 break down but no split on vehicles ( eg F-450 vs E-450).

A lot of that now considered commercially sensitive yet, GM has started splitting out

it's 1500s from HD and MD. I was kind of hoping that Ford and Ram would follow that.

Interesting that dealers near you have some MDs as floor stock, that is a little perculiar,

maybe there were some loose trucks available with popular configurations...

Edited by jpd80

11 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Manufacturers like Ford generally don't want that kind of sales data shared or broken down,

you're lucky to get classes 4 to 7 break down but no split on vehicles ( eg F-450 vs E-450).

A lot of that now considered commercially sensitive yet, GM has started splitting out

it's 1500s from HD and MD. I was kind of hoping that Ford and Ram would follow that.

Interesting that dealers near you have some MDs as floor stock, that is a little perculiar,

maybe there were some loose trucks available with popular configurations...

Curious why you think stock F600-F750's is such a rare thing.  I have worked for and/or with many Ford dealers over the years and many of them stock a lot of F600-F750 trucks.  Here are some examples:

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/195835213/2021-ford-f750-sd

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/197741581/2021-ford-f750

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/194805915/2021-ford-f750

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/196524707/2021-ford-f750

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/28632733/2019-ford-f750-sd

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/190170903/2021-ford-f750

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iamweasel said:

Curious why you think stock F600-F750's is such a rare thing.  I have worked for and/or with many Ford dealers over the years and many of them stock a lot of F600-F750 trucks.  Here are some examples:

Context.

Each month, Ford sells between 1500 and 1900 class 6 trucks, class 7 is barely 200.

Across 3,000 Ford dealers, that's not even one truck a month. 

In relative terms, you'd be lucky to find more than 200 examples of '21  F650/F750s

around dealerships nation wide.

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Context.

Each month, Ford sells between 1500 and 1900 class 6 trucks, class 7 is barely 200.

In relative terms, you'd be lucky to find more than 200 examples of '21  F650/F750s

Forget there being 3,000 Ford dealers as the majority can't sell above a F-550.

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Context.

Is anyone else surprised that the new 7.3L gas has not  increased sales significantly ?

I thought for sure fleets would jump on this as the "total cost of ownership" is much less.

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

Forget there being 3,000 Ford dealers as the majority can't sell above a F-550.

There are at least 6 dealers inside I-495 loop in eastern Ma that have 650/750's on floor. Five of them are traditional  Ford dealers who are  now "commercial " dealers and one is a heavy truck dealer that  started as a Ford Heavy Truck store-I believe they were called "dealer development"- that transitioned to Sterling/Ford mediums, then when Sterling folded, they became Navistar/Ford.  A family business that within the last year sold out to a multi location Navistar dealer.  Their latest ad shows two 650's, plus 550s and a JV 19,500 International.

Interesting if you open the TruckPaper ads 'Weasel posted, just look at inventory shots in background.  That Cheseapeek  Ford 750 dump is a well set up truck-right down to "coal" chute in gate.  Amazes me that dummies around here will stock a dump without such a feature.  Shows you these guys have never worked in construction?.  Also if you scroll through pix of that truck note..It  has  a 25,999 plate-but a 12,000 front, 23,000 rear.  I believe there is a "derate" option so  I  assume that is it... Save on the FET, but if you want to "run heavy  and take your chances at the scale", have at it?

1 hour ago, theoldwizard said:

Is anyone else surprised that the new 7.3L gas has not  increased sales significantly ?

I thought for sure fleets would jump on this as the "total cost of ownership" is much less.

I have yet to see a 7.3L powered 650 or 750.  Commercial truck sales are off a bit around here.  

10 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Context.

According to www.commercialtrucktrader.com there are 1,503 new F600-F750 trucks available for sale:

F600 = 16

F650 = 689

F750 = 757

Now I get that a majority of Ford dealers are not real commercial truck dealers, but I do think these are stocked at dealers in fairly decent numbers nationwide.  (Not to mention many "selling" body builders stock them for sale, too, so not all of the available inventory is sitting on a Ford dealer's lot.)

2 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

Are we sure that it hasn't increased their share?  From what I understand, Ford's share increased significantly a year or two ago due to the gas motor.  I know many Freightliner dealers are asking for a gas option for the M2.  :)

2 hours ago, iamweasel said:

According to www.commercialtrucktrader.com there are 1,503 new F600-F750 trucks available for sale:

F600 = 16

F650 = 689

F750 = 757

Now I get that a majority of Ford dealers are not real commercial truck dealers, but I do think these are stocked at dealers in fairly decent numbers nationwide.  (Not to mention many "selling" body builders stock them for sale, too, so not all of the available inventory is sitting on a Ford dealer's lot.)

OK there's more than I expected but as '21s go, there's still under 500 F650s and 400 F750s.

What I'd like to know is how long are they staying on dealers lots, I wonder if F750 sales are

about to kick up...

Clearly in the past month or so, dealers have gotten plenty of fresh 21 stock but the F600s

are still light on the ground. The latest sales figures I have was for September and that was

significantly up on August....good signs that Ford is getting out of the gloom?

2 hours ago, iamweasel said:

Are we sure that it hasn't increased their share?  From what I understand, Ford's share increased significantly a year or two ago due to the gas motor.  I know many Freightliner dealers are asking for a gas option for the M2.  :)

Sales of F750s are in the low hundreds, even before the pandemic.

10 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

You my recall I posted pix of a 650 chassis that was at a local dealer that had a 7.3..  Looked like an 84" CA that would be typical for a dump application. I had stopped in as I was curious as to how a 7.3 looked from a serviceability question.  I'm of same opinion as you and figure this motor will be a homerun with a large percentage of class 6/7 buyers.  I mentioned this to the commercial sales guy and he said he had a guy drive buy the dealership- saw trucks on lot and stopped in.  A true "cold call".  Guy was a high end residential builder-around here that means north of a million. Dealer also had a 750 Power Stroke-ready to go with body.  Long story short, after driving both, the guy paid $15,000 more for the 750.  He liked the "diesel power"-as well as it had air brakes and was black, Alcoas and a lot of chrome..  Now this is a guy that IMO could really get by with a 7.3.  A truck like that is more of a convenience rather then a front line unit that runs 8 hours a day.  But again, money was no object.

10 hours ago, iamweasel said:

I guess the question is has the 7.3L been selling better than the 6.8L V-10.  Hard to make an accurate comparison considering the economy at the moment. 

6 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I guess the question is has the 7.3L been selling better than the 6.8L V-10.  Hard to make an accurate comparison considering the economy at the moment. 

Last month's class 6 sales were greater than Sept 2019 but that's because people were waiting for the 7.3.

So looking at Sept 2018, sales were down slightly but considering current circumstances, quite encouraging.....