New Light & Medium Duty News

I would like to know what the "official" name of the 7.3L gasser is since if they did name it "Godzilla" they would have to pay royalties to Toho Company LTD for the trademark rights to the name or buy the name outright from them.
Coyote

Hurricane/BOSS

Triton

Windsor

Cleveland

Essex

Kent

Cologne

etc, etc....

32 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

And that is my point !

Any accountant that looks at the numbers, should figure out that for a FLEET of vehicles, the gas is a big $$$ savings !

Well one key will be what do the "tree" guys do.  IIRC, an association representing  the tree maintenance industry had made some sort of official request to the manufacturers looking for gasoline power options because diesel issues associated with regen cycles were really creating problems for them given high idle hours when a truck is running all day just to power PTO operations.  Pay  attention when you see a new truck in the colors of the "big guys"-Asplundh, Bartlett etc to see what they are buying.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:09 PM, theoldwizard said:

And that is my point !

Any accountant that looks at the numbers, should figure out that for a FLEET of vehicles, the gas is a big $$$ savings !

Edit, (sorry I deleted my original post because I read your reply out of context with Bob's story.)

Ford has done a great job of selling buyers more truck than they probably need,

sounds like the guy in Bob's story fell in love with the torque of the Powerstroke

when really, all he needed was the gas 7.3.

Unless the truck is being maxed out on towing and expected to do lots of miles

a gasoline engine let's the buyer take savings up front and walk away a winner

by avoiding any problems with the diesel in service. That's a big plus for some.

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Edit, (sorry I deleted my original post because I read your reply out of context with Bob's story.)

Ford has done a great job of selling buyers more truck than they probably need,

sounds like the guy in Bob's story fell in love with the torque of the Powerstroke

when really, all he needed was the gas 7.3.

Unless the truck is being maxed out on towing and expected to do lots of miles

a gasoline engine let's the buyer take savings up front and walk away a winner

by avoiding any problems with the diesel in service. That's a big plus for some.

JP, You nailed it.  Guy can afford it and let's say he runs 15,000 miles a year.  Its peanuts to him.  And like I said, this guy is a high end builder selling big 7 figure houses.  The 7.3 was a plain jane white cab with painted disc wheels.  the 750 was a good looking truck-marketing 101.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelyD said:

Somehow I doubt that truck still has the 332 Lincoln Y-block in it.

SteelyD, what do you hear about the 650/750 these days?  Heard a rumor 2022 might be the last MY for them, but my source is sketchy.  Don't think I believe it, heard there might be a redesign for 2023.

4 hours ago, snooter said:

Be interesting to see how this shakes out with the 7.3...it will work for f250 buyers...its a fail depending on application with f350...would not even consider the 7.3 above f350....shove the dam thing in the stang for one last swan song

Huh?  It was built for MD.  It puts  out more than the Super Duty 401 and the 477.

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Somehow I doubt that truck still has the 332 Lincoln Y-block in it.

SteelyD, what do you hear about the 650/750 these days?  Heard a rumor 2022 might be the last MY for them, but my source is sketchy.  Don't think I believe it, heard there might be a redesign for 2023.

The Mediums are not going away. Saw a tandem 750 dump the other day.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, snooter said:

Be interesting to see how this shakes out with the 7.3...it will work for f250 buyers...its a fail depending on application with f350...would not even consider the 7.3 above f350....shove the dam thing in the stang for one last swan song

Would you like a 6.8 Zilla in your Mustang?

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Huh?  It was built for MD.  It puts  out more than the Super Duty 401 and the 477.

It was marketed as such..that was it...it was for f250 buyers where the volume resides....i agree it has applications but pushing it towards "tree services"  is somewhat fanciful thought...it may end up being an engine looking for a niche market above f350

9 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I wonder if a tandem Super Duty is something Ford is considering for production or was the truck you saw an owner conversion.

My  bet is the truck he saw was a tag axle-or as they are known around here, "paver special".  Never go off road but max out payload because of the dead axle versus a live axle.  And like I said, the guys in the paving business can get away with it from a traction perspective-and in particular if its an air lift.

25 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

My  bet is the truck he saw was a tag axle-or as they are known around here, "paver special".  Never go off road but max out payload because of the dead axle versus a live axle.  And like I said, the guys in the paving business can get away with it from a traction perspective-and in particular if its an air lift.

Yeah, doing that is fairly common.  That's one way to avoid paying 12% FET tax on your truck, too....buy a single axle, wait 6 months and then get a lift axle installed somewhere.  (Then you hope none of your components like the frame/trans/axles break because of overloading.)

On 10/26/2020 at 6:10 AM, twintornados said:

I would like to know what the "official" name of the 7.3L gasser is since if they did name it "Godzilla" they would have to pay royalties to Toho Company LTD for the trademark rights to the name or buy the name outright from them.
Coyote

Hurricane/BOSS

Triton

Windsor

Cleveland

Essex

Kent

Cologne

etc, etc....

Very simply it’s called the 445 Thunderjet 

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, twintornados said:

Well, since that would imply that it would be installed in a Thunderbird, that name would be highly doubtful.

Why? The 429 Thunderjet was simply the basic engine in the 385 series lineup. I think 445 Thunderjet has a nice ring to it. Especially since this engine seems to be underpinning a whole new engine family line. 

28 minutes ago, Stray Kat said:

Why? The 429 Thunderjet was simply the basic engine in the 385 series lineup. I think 445 Thunderjet has a nice ring to it. Especially since this engine seems to be underpinning a whole new engine family line. 

Which debuted in the Thunderbird...hence the name. It was not called Thunderjet in any other application install other than the Thunderbird. Every other application was referred to as 385 series, Cobra Jet, or simply by the cubic inch. I disagree on the name Thunderjet...it is a meaningless name in today's FoMoCo lineup....there are some names that need to stay in the history books.

Edited by twintornados

10 hours ago, twintornados said:

Which debuted in the Thunderbird...hence the name. It was not called Thunderjet in any other application install other than the Thunderbird. Every other application was referred to as 385 series, Cobra Jet, or simply by the cubic inch. I disagree on the name Thunderjet...it is a meaningless name in today's FoMoCo lineup....there are some names that need to stay in the history books.

Gosh well okay then. A question was posed and I gave an opinion. I take it you wouldn’t like the 1954 truck Y-block name “PowerKing” either?

I tell you what I think most of these stupid hellish or action figure names sound cheesy and stupid as well. Hellcat? Red eye? Terminator? Predator? No, no, no and no. Childish sounding names.