New Light & Medium Duty News

On 11/11/2020 at 6:09 AM, twintornados said:

Whether you agree of disagree with the conclusions drawn here and speculation therein, there are some really cool looking COE's in the video.

Being a 35 plus year veteran of running 48 states and Canada; I can agree with most of what was said. I started my first driving job in the early 80's (not legal as I wasn't 21 yet) driving a 1967 Diamond Reo C-990 conventional pulling a 32' coal bucket from NC to KY and back to get coal for a hospital generator. That truck had a 238 hp Detroit with a 13 speed transmission.

In the mid 80's, I drove a 1978 International 4670 Transtar II COE with a 290 Cummings and a 10 speed. That truck I blame for my back issues. I ran that one 37 eastern states. 

Early 90's, I was running a 1989 Freightliner 8664T coe with set back axle. I ran it 48 states and was the first truck I drove with power sterring. I still own that truck.

Mid 90's, I bought a 1991 Kenworth T-600B. It has a 425 hp CAT 3406 (now 475 hp) and a 13 speed. I also still own that truck. 3,000,000 miles plus, and it's more reliable than the 2019 International LT that I lease.

My years in COE trucks did a lot of damage to my body. Running 125k-150k a year sitting on top of the front axle will beat you to death. The 89 has air ride cab (air bags that connects the rear of the cab mount to the frame), but still rides rougher than the KW.

I only have the cab over for getting into tight spots locally (and sentimental reasons) and would NEVER consider running a COE over the road again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Really good news for Ford last month with over 5,900 class 5 sales and back over 2300 class 6 sales.

Whatever Ford is doing, they should just keep going while commercial sales are buzzing.

Good news JP-and again, big question is how many of those class 6 sales were F-600's and how many were 7.3's.  ??

On 11/19/2020 at 11:35 AM, 351cid said:

Being a 35 plus year veteran of running 48 states and Canada; I can agree with most of what was said. I started my first driving job in the early 80's (not legal as I wasn't 21 yet) driving a 1967 Diamond Reo C-990 conventional pulling a 32' coal bucket from NC to KY and back to get coal for a hospital generator. That truck had a 238 hp Detroit with a 13 speed transmission.

In the mid 80's, I drove a 1978 International 4670 Transtar II COE with a 290 Cummings and a 10 speed. That truck I blame for my back issues. I ran that one 37 eastern states. 

Early 90's, I was running a 1989 Freightliner 8664T coe with set back axle. I ran it 48 states and was the first truck I drove with power sterring. I still own that truck.

Mid 90's, I bought a 1991 Kenworth T-600B. It has a 425 hp CAT 3406 (now 475 hp) and a 13 speed. I also still own that truck. 3,000,000 miles plus, and it's more reliable than the 2019 International LT that I lease.

My years in COE trucks did a lot of damage to my body. Running 125k-150k a year sitting on top of the front axle will beat you to death. The 89 has air ride cab (air bags that connects the rear of the cab mount to the frame), but still rides rougher than the KW.

I only have the cab over for getting into tight spots locally (and sentimental reasons) and would NEVER consider running a COE over the road again.

Well 351 you are a "roadie" for sure. As this is as Ford site, and as Ice-Capades shared his Corn Binder photos I had to dig through my archives and find this shot of me from 53 years ago.   My cab over experience was about 4 days when my "regular" tractor, a White 4564 was down and replaced by a "Canary", as we called Ryders back in those days.  This  1967 WT-1000 "road tractor"had a NH-250 Cummins, and a RT-910 Roadranger.  And driver features? uh check out the ash tray!  And that big hub on that front axle?  That was "power steering " in the form of a center point steer axle. But as a Ford "guy", I had died and gone to  heaven!  Back then 5 axles was good for 73,280 lbs. 

Can you imagine telling a guy today he was going out even at that weight with 250 HP!  I'm sure 351 as you ran a 238 6-71 you can relate-and you were probably doing 80,000 by then in early 80's08D102A2-FB5A-4B40-A126-927CF90DA846_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.63b56637215e33bd5a11c245612dfc13.jpeg

Ford WT-1000 copy.jpg

• Like 1

My dad had a "Square Body Ford" in the mid 70's. I believe his was a '75 WT-9000. His had a 335 hp Detroit and was considered pretty fast for its day. In 1977 we were coming down a mountain in NC when the brakes on the trailer failed. My dad screamed at me to grit my teeth as hard as I could...when we hit the run-away ramp I understood why. That was the day that white Ford with blue & red stripes went to live with God; but we survived...albeit in a lot of pain and headaches for days.

3 hours ago, 351cid said:

My dad had a "Square Body Ford" in the mid 70's. I believe his was a '75 WT-9000. His had a 335 hp Detroit and was considered pretty fast for its day. In 1977 we were coming down a mountain in NC when the brakes on the trailer failed. My dad screamed at me to grit my teeth as hard as I could...when we hit the run-away ramp I understood why. That was the day that white Ford with blue & red stripes went to live with God; but we survived...albeit in a lot of pain and headaches for days.

ouch-you remember how many "bushels" you had on board?  Be thankful the runaway ramp had been built.

7 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

ouch-you remember how many "bushels" you had on board?  Be thankful the runaway ramp had been built.

We were hauling Gerber baby food out of Asheville. We were always heavy back then. Tandem axle tractor, so probably grossing 75k or more.

16 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

It was ordered as a Retail order.

And this is the "sweet spot" that F600 sits in...my local Ford store is not a commercial truck dealership per se...no F650/750 models on the lot (Big Lithia dealership about 12 miles away for that) but here sits this F600 as a retail order.....

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

Speaking of ‘tweezers,

I see that Ford  has increased F150 max towing again to 14,000 lbs.

Should they be looking at a heavy half ton that sits just above that

8,500 lbs GVWR but has an EBV6 for good non towing fuel economy?

Or have I got it pants on backwards?

14 hours ago, twintornados said:

And this is the "sweet spot" that F600 sits in...my local Ford store is not a commercial truck dealership per se...no F650/750 models on the lot (Big Lithia dealership about 12 miles away for that) but here sits this F600 as a retail order.....

TT

I think if he has a 600 on the lot he IS a commercial dealer- I didn't think dealers could sell above 350 if they were NOT "commercial" dealers

How about it Ice Capades???

6 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

TT

I think if he has a 600 on the lot he IS a commercial dealer- I didn't think dealers could sell above 350 if they were NOT "commercial" dealers

Ford Dealers can sell up through F-550's. Above that you have to be a commercial dealer. It takes a big commitment financially and years to establish the commercial business along with a staff that knows and understands the commercial business.

7 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

TT

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

Ford Dealers can sell up through F-550's. Above that you have to be a commercial dealer. It takes a big commitment financially and years to establish the commercial business along with a staff that knows and understands the commercial business.

He has a smattering of 450's and 550's....the big Lithia dealership up on the main highway has cutaways, chassis cabs and 650/750's on their lot.

On 11/25/2020 at 4:37 AM, ice-capades said:

thx -dealer near me -one that has the 650 7.3 where I took pix, hired an experienced guy to head up commercial effort as they never had anything above a 350 in the yard.

On 11/24/2020 at 8:24 PM, jpd80 said:

Speaking of ‘tweezers,

I see that Ford  has increased F150 max towing again to 14,000 lbs.

Should they be looking at a heavy half ton that sits just above that

8,500 lbs GVWR but has an EBV6 for good non towing fuel economy?

Or have I got it pants on backwards?

I think you'd have to be out of your mind to put more than 10k behind a half ton anything.  Same deal at about 20k behind a F350/3500 DRW.  Any more than a trailer about 2x the weight of the truck and things start getting dicey over every bump.  Yeah yeah gooseneck/5th wheel helps, as do sway control systems, and fully integrated braking systems.  But it's always safer and a less stressful drive in a proper size truck.  Factory tow ratings on class 1-3 have gotten insane due to the spec wars on consumer pickups. 

If you've got a big trailer, buy the proper size truck to tow it with!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

I think you'd have to be out of your mind to put more than 10k behind a half ton anything.  Same deal at about 20k behind a F350/3500 DRW.  Any more than a trailer about 2x the weight of the truck and things start getting dicey over every bump.  Yeah yeah gooseneck/5th wheel helps, as do sway control systems, and fully integrated braking systems.  But it's always safer and a less stressful drive in a proper size truck.  Factory tow ratings on class 1-3 have gotten insane due to the spec wars on consumer pickups. 

If you've got a big trailer, buy the proper size truck to tow it with!

Amen- and they all do it with ads showing a 350/3500, maybe a 450/4500 pulling a tag trailer with a full size loader back hoe.  Typically a sensible combo would be a 750- or anything bigger than 26,000 GVW and with air brakes