New Light & Medium Duty News

8 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Amazon around here mostly runs large Transits, but lately I have been seeing a lot of Isuzu NPR's.  Don't know how much of their fleet is owned by them or contracted.  I guess a lot of their own vehicles will be dumped in a few years when they electrify. 

NPR's?  Boxes?? that says to me they are getting desperate to get vehicles when they resort to putting box trucks into that service vs step vans.

2 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

NPR's?  Boxes?? that says to me they are getting desperate to get vehicles when they resort to putting box trucks into that service vs step vans.

Yeah, I was thinking that as well.  Unless they are for specific large deliveries. 

13 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Yeah, I was thinking that as well.  Unless they are for specific large deliveries. 

Not sure if it is BS  but I had heard they were buying used vehicles  to satisfy demand.  Can you  believe they have 800 DC's.  They  built a huge one near my sister's house in Bloomfield CT.  Put access road between two active corn fields.  I'll bet it has 100 doors.  Signs up  throughout area..."Drivers ignore GPS, follow signs".  Plus someone told  me they are looking to put up another one in close proximity.  This is like between Hartford and Springfield -former tobacco fields.

Are we shocked?  Each container ship that  arrives from China has what? 15,000 containers???

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Not sure if it is BS  but I had heard they were buying used vehicles  to satisfy demand.  Can you  believe they have 800 DC's.  They  built a huge one near my sister's house in Bloomfield CT.  Put access road between two active corn fields.  I'll bet it has 100 doors.  Signs up  throughout area..."Drivers ignore GPS, follow signs".  Plus someone told  me they are looking to put up another one in close proximity.  This is like between Hartford and Springfield -former tobacco fields.

Are we shocked?  Each container ship that  arrives from China has what? 15,000 containers???

This is also why service industries and transport sectors have grown over the decades while  manufacturing jobs have declined, there are just to many jobs linked importation and an delivery of goods. All those vehicles need efficient roads and railroads and depots, so much infrastructure.

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

This is also why service industries and transport sectors have grown over the decades while  manufacturing jobs have declined, there are just to many jobs linked importation and an delivery of goods. All those vehicles need efficient roads and railroads and depots, so much infrastructure.

No argument.  I myself fear we have as a result, lost too much of our manufacturing base.  Again I must draw on my years but when I began my career, in the Northeast my company had  5 facilities that blended industrial lubricants-like hydraulics and gear oils for initial fills, cutting oils etc.  And much of this went out in bulk (tank truck) vs. drums, pails. Today there is one in that same geography.

Granted some of that loss is a result of improved manufacturing efficiencies I would imagine but the bulk?  The Industry is gone.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2021 at 9:25 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

I think they've been desperate for vehicles for quite some time. Like I said, they've been using rental vehicles out of Texas around here. (Fun fact: Lincoln, NE, is closer to us than Austin, TX.)

54 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Good news for Ford production last month, producing over 94,000 F Series but only 1,000 F650/F750

all figures posted in ice cappades’ inventory thread......

Complete vehicles or missing chips?  I thought F150 production was down last month due to chip shortages.

8 hours ago, slemke said:

Complete vehicles or missing chips?  I thought F150 production was down last month due to chip shortages.

Nope, there’s a pause this month.

Last month, Ford  produced over 61,000 F150s and over 33,000 Super Dutys, over 32,000 Explorer.

there’s only a small number of F Series being built without ECUs, those will be held until the ECUs are available and shipped to dealerships to be fitted. There should be little if any impact.

This month is telltale that Ford would rather slow production than build too many vehicles without ECUs.

and if it’s any consolation, GM produced 50,000 less vehicles than Ford did last month,

so things could have been a whole lot worse than they are...

Edited by jpd80

WELL Paccar drops  the other shoe.  New Petes class5-7.

Peterbilt Unveils New Medium Duty Models

April 7, 2021  by Heavy Duty Trucking Staff

The new Model 537 and Model 548 are built upon a brand-new customizable chassis and multiplex electrical architecture. - Photo: Peterbilt

The new Model 537 and Model 548 are built upon a brand-new customizable chassis and multiplex electrical architecture.

Photo: Peterbilt

Peterbilt Motors Co. unveiled their new Model 537 and Model 548 trucks, designed for the Class 7 and 8 segment, during a live video event on April 7. The trucks are now available for order, with deliveries starting in July.

The new Model 537 and Model 548 are built upon a brand-new customizable chassis and multiplex electrical architecture. The trucks deliver seamless body builder integration allowing customers complete customization to spec their truck to fit their needs, Peterbilt officials said.

Two hood options are available for the trucks: a vocational three-piece Metton hood featuring a stationary grille with full through rail; and a three-piece SMC aerodynamic hood for maximum visibility.

Both hood options can use a variety of vocational and front engine power take-off bumpers to fit different applications. The bumper is front mounted to the chassis with a drop-and-go feature for self-locating. Bumper options include two finishes (chrome or painted), three bumper light mounted options (headlight, daytime running lights or fog), two radar options, two tow options (two tow loops or center tow), and two license plate mounting locations (center or offset).

The Model 537 and 548 offer wide or standard track axles featuring wheel cut angles for a shorter turning radius. - Photo: Peterbilt

The Model 537 and 548 offer wide or standard track axles featuring wheel cut angles for a shorter turning radius.

The Model 537 and 548 offer wide or standard track axles featuring wheel cut angles for a shorter turning radius and mono-leaf or taper-leaf front springs rated from 8,000 up to 20,000 lb. The rear suspension is available with a taper-leaf or air leaf suspension rated from 12,500 to 40,000 lb. depending on a single or tandem drive configuration. The AWD option features a new offset bowl design to offer the lowest possible cab height.

Inside the Cab

A 2.1 meter cab is 8 inches wider inside than the previous generation cab and has room for three adults to seat comfortably, company officials said.

Stair-style steps and knurled grab handles make getting into the trucks easy. The best-in-class

Interior features include 4.6 cubic feet of storage space, three cup holders and a dash layout with available space for optional gauges, switches and ram mounts.

The trucks feature an all-new instrument cluster, featuring an analog speedo and tachometer with a high-resolution, seven-inch digital display which relays key information. - Photo: Peterbilt

The trucks feature an all-new instrument cluster, featuring an analog speedo and tachometer with a high-resolution, seven-inch digital display which relays key information.

The trucks feature an all-new instrument cluster, featuring an analog speedo and tachometer with a high-resolution, seven-inch digital display which relays key information. Drivers are able to toggle through menu cards on the digital display utilizing the new multi-function steering wheel and the display navigation knob. The digital display is deeply integrated into the electronics of the truck with key information like system check, trip summary, power take-off functions, advanced driver-assistance systems and tire pressure monitoring systems all displayed through the menu cards.

Additional Models For Non-CDL Holders

Peterbilt also unveiled its new Model 535 and Model 536 trucks, which are designed for the Class 5/6 non-CDL lease and rental markets.

The trucks feature a robotically-assembled aluminum cab with a width of 2.1 meter, a floor height of 40.5 inches and a roof height of 74 inches.

Ingress and egress is improved with a 3” lower cab height, stair-style steps and knurled grab handles. The all-new, self-closing doors feature larger windows for increased driver visibility and three opening positions. The Bumper to Back-of-Cab measurement can be either 107” or 109” and the trucks offer excellent maneuverability with a turning radius of 51 feet, officials said.

Options available on the Model 535 and Model 536 include two hood lengths, two roof heights, composite and steel bumpers, as well as multiple options of fuel and DEF tanks.

Paccar TX-8 Transmission

Peterbilt announced the all-new Paccar TX-8 Automatic transmission and updated Paccar PX engines are available for order with the new medium-duty lineup.

The 8-speed Paccar TX-8 automatic transmission features the latest technology, Peterbilt officials said. The transmission monitors changes in road grade, vehicle acceleration, torque demand, weight and engine load to keep the truck in the most fuel-efficient gear. The transmission delivers automotive-like shifting with up to 5% better fuel economy, they said.

The Paccar TX-8 incorporates an Auto Park Lock safety feature that automatically engages the park lock should a driver forget. Next, a Twin Torsional Damper enables early first gear lock-up for smoother shifts and faster acceleration. Finally, the Mechatronic unit and Transmission Control Unit are combined into one unit within the oil pan for ease of service.

The all-new Paccar TX-8 automatic transmission and updated Paccar PX engines are available for order with the new medium-duty lineup. - Photo: Peterbilt

The all-new Paccar TX-8 automatic transmission and updated Paccar PX engines are available for order with the new medium-duty lineup.

Peterbilt’s new family of medium-duty trucks is also equipped with Paccar’s updated line of PX engines that will see longer oil and fuel filter service intervals and fuel economy improvements. The updated PX-9 also logs higher torque ratings in the 260, 350 and 360 horsepower versions as well as a lower torque drop-off speed.

In addition, existing Paccar powertrain components will be rebranded to align with the newest member of the family. All PACCAR transmissions will take on the TX designation with the 12-speed being renamed the TX-12. The PACCAR 40K drive axle will become the PACCAR DX-40 and the vocational 20K front steer axle becomes the FX-20.

PACCAR is full of themselves.  Love how Paccar tries to claim all these "proprietary" components are on their trucks when in reality they are just re-naming things that other companies built for them.  (PX6 is a Cummins B6.7, PX9 is a Cummins L9, their TX transmissions are built by Eaton, etc.   Heck, even when you do get an actual Paccar component like the MX engine you are still saddled with a Cummins aftertreatment system that goes with it.)

• Like 4

15 hours ago, iamweasel said:

PACCAR is full of themselves.  Love how Paccar tries to claim all these "proprietary" components are on their trucks when in reality they are just re-naming things that other companies built for them.  (PX6 is a Cummins B6.7, PX9 is a Cummins L9, their TX transmissions are built by Eaton, etc.   Heck, even when you do get an actual Paccar component like the MX engine you are still saddled with a Cummins aftertreatment system that goes with it.)

I guess the question is...what manufacturer today doesn't do that.?  Is it safe to say F'liner is closest thing today to a truly vertically integrated company?  

Now If I look at the build sheets on the three Macks (B Models) I have owned that is another story?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, iamweasel said:

You mean to say that they don't have Allison transmissions?!?! How on earth do they sell ANY trucks without that trans???

4 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I guess the question is...what manufacturer today doesn't do that.?  Is it safe to say F'liner is closest thing today to a truly vertically integrated company?  

Now If I look at the build sheets on the three Macks (B Models) I have owned that is another story?

Bob, it will be interesting to see if a serious challenge to Ford’s class 3,4,5,6 sales sparks them into action,

pit may not care much about class 6 & 7 but I bet they’ll watch any new competitors very closely, especially 

if they come with well known engines, transmission, axles brake systems, would that make folks switch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Bob, it will be interesting to see if a serious challenge to Ford’s class 3,4,5,6 sales sparks them into action,

pit may not care much about class 6 & 7 but I bet they’ll watch any new competitors very closely, especially 

if they come with well known engines, transmission, axles brake systems, would that make folks switch.

Jp no doubt-now that Paccar is into class 5, if Ford can sell into class 4 and 5 with the same "wrapper", how long will it take the Paccar dealers to petition for lighter axles, springs etc.  From the dealer's perspective a sale is a sale and from Paccar's perspective they will look at "economy of scale"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

PACCAR is really the only one who re-brands engines and transmissions like that.  You buy a Mack/Volvo with a Cummins and they call it a Cummins.  Same goes for International.   It would be one thing if the PACCAR version had some design changes or tweaks to it but that isn't the case.  The PX engines are the exact same engines, built at the same factory, as the B6.7/L9 engines - just painted different colors.  I've been to the plant in Rocky Mount, NC several times and you see them side by side going down the line.  

To Twintornados, PACCAR offers an Allison transmission, too, just as they always have.  I suspect the Allison will be a majority of their sales in medium duty even though the TX is "standard."   All it takes is one mouse click to replace the TX with the Allison when ordering a truck.  Simple...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Jp no doubt-now that Paccar is into class 5, if Ford can sell into class 4 and 5 with the same "wrapper", how long will it take the Paccar dealers to petition for lighter axles, springs etc.  From the dealer's perspective a sale is a sale and from Paccar's perspective they will look at "economy of scale"

I think Ford is still in the box seat for scales of economy although Ford’s total US sales in class 4-7 is like 10k-12k

and that includes those   E-Series sales as well

Well here is an interesting bit of news from Bloomberg that as of yesterday was not covered by the WSJ.  The good news  IMO is that an EU government has finally said  "NO"! to a Chinese take over attempt.  Note this deal is supposedly valued at $3.6 billion.  Seems like a good deal assuming the engine business would be included.

Just think-if Farley really thinks commercial vehicles are that key, what a way to be a player for sure.  And just think maybe Ford could even get back into the tractor business with blue tractors again as well as Ford's former competitors...Case and IH!   $3.6 billion-what is that? The price of the next recall?

Calm down boys-just wishful thinking on this old guys part?

Agnellis End Iveco Talks With China FAW as Italy Opposes

Bloomberg  /  April 19, 2021

The billionaire Agnelli family’s CNH Industrial NV ended talks to sell its Iveco SpA truck and bus unit to China FAW Group after the Italian government signaled it would oppose the deal.

CNH abandoned the talks because the Chinese automotive group didn’t present an acceptable offer for Iveco. Italy’s government had signaled its opposition to CNH selling to a Chinese company and later praised the decision to pull out of the talks.

Shares of CNH dropped as much as 4.7% in Milan, their biggest fall since January and the largest decline on the Stoxx 600 index. The stock is trading ex-dividend as of Monday.

“Inevitable weakness of the stock today is an opportunity to buy,” broker Equita Sim wrote in a note Monday, saying an eventual on-highway business spin-off “represents a catalyst to remove the holding discount.”

Italy’s government had been following the negotiations closely, “because it considers the production of heavy vehicles to be of strategic national interest,” said Economic Development Minister Giancarlo Giorgetti. Rome is prepared to help ensure that production remains in Italy, he said.

Instead of selling the Turin, Italy-based company, CNH now plans to accelerate “deployment of ever-more sustainable transport solutions and infrastructure, in line with the EU’s Green Deal ambitions.” That confirmed an earlier report by Bloomberg that plans for a deal with the Chinese company had been scrapped.

The decision was also welcomed in France, with Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire noting that he and Giorgetti have worked together to protect European manufacturing.

CNH had been in talks with FAW since last year, and it rejected an initial proposal from the Chinese company valuing the business at around 3 billion euros ($3.6 billion). The talks were conducted amid growing opposition to Chinese ownership from leading politicians.

Prime Minister Mario Draghi said on April 8 that he backs extending state protections for businesses, after revealing that his government recently blocked a Chinese takeover of an Italian semiconductor company.

Matteo Salvini, leader of the rightist League party -- the most popular force in Draghi’s broad coalition -- said last month that the administration must protect Iveco as a strategic asset.

CNH in 2019 announced it would split off its agricultural equipment business from commercial vehicle operations, though the plan has been delayed by the pandemic. A sale of one of Europe’s most iconic truck makers could shake up the sector as well as attract domestic criticism of the Agnelli family.

Reply  Reply All  Forward
  • Like 1

It sounds like the the Chinese offer was only for the truck business.  The Agnelli's will probably eventually unload Iveco.  $3.6B does not sound like a lot, but whoever buys it will have to make very significant investments in Iveco to make it 'sustainable'.  No doubt that is why CNH is announcing they will make investments to Iveco with that goal as it will make Iveco more appealing to a potential buyer.                                                               

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

It sounds like the the Chinese offer was only for the truck business.  The Agnelli's will probably eventually unload Iveco.  $3.6B does not sound like a lot, but whoever buys it will have to make very significant investments in Iveco to make it 'sustainable'.  No doubt that is why CNH is announcing they will make investments to Iveco with that goal as it will make Iveco more appealing to a potential buyer.                                                               

It was-CHN was I guess part of another  spin off attempt-just trying to hype up any old timers here who turned over dirt with an 8N or dug holes with a four stick Ford backhoe as I did?

So clueless as to  Iveco being non-"sustainable"  I  thought they were in step with the rest of the euro crowd???

• Like 1

There are a lot of companies talking up their 'sustainability' plans but don't have the cash to see them through.  So, they look for partners or are spun off.  Time to move was 5 years ago.

CNH and Iveco were spun off together from Fiat.  Now CNH is looking to spin off Iveco.  Did you know you can still order a new Ram HD in 'New Holland Blue' right from the factory?  Kind of embarrassing if you ask me......  

Ford made backhoes?  No, those were gardening tools!  Sorry, couldn't resist.  I used to like that little Ford loader though, very handy before skid-steers became the 'thing'.   I used to work on Davis backhoes back in the day, those things were brutes.  Case eventually bought Davis and their designs were sold as Case backhoes for many years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

There are a lot of companies talking up their 'sustainability' plans but don't have the cash to see them through.  So, they look for partners or are spun off.  Time to move was 5 years ago.

CNH and Iveco were spun off together from Fiat.  Now CNH is looking to spin off Iveco.  Did you know you can still order a new Ram HD in 'New Holland Blue' right from the factory?  Kind of embarrassing if you ask me......  

Ford made backhoes?  No, those were gardening tools!  Sorry, couldn't resist.  I used to like that little Ford loader though, very handy before skid-steers became the 'thing'.   I used to work on Davis backhoes back in the day, those things were brutes.  Case eventually bought Davis and their designs were sold as Case backhoes for many years. 

c'mon 7M- I know you are pulling my chain.  Yes very early Ford bakhoes-mounted on 8N's were after  markets-either Shermans or Wain- Roy.  I think  Wain- Roy was the first.. " spindly" would be best word I could think of to describe those  hoes.  I think these took  the place of a lot of cemetery workers?

But in the end, they had evolved into a competitive integrated loader/backhoe-the 555/655.  I had a friend who was a salesman for a "yellow" Deere dealer.  He would always  say once he lost a sale to Ford, he would never get the customer back. And there are plenty of them still working in this area.

The Ford I ran while going to school was an 840/41? that had a 14' Ford hoe.   Tractor was unique as it was 4WD-which in early/mid 60's a rarity other than big buck Dynahoes.  It had an Elanco  driving front axle and a 4 speed gear transmission with a shuttle stick-nothing quick- had to stop before reversing but that little 4 banger (232 CI?) would dig. Also while the loader was pretty much integrated to tractor, the hoe could go on or off in about five minutes-which was frequent switching from hoe to a York rake.

I knew I  had a picture...This beauty is NOT what I ran but I took this at a truck show (Ballston Spa NY) a few years ago.  This is an Elanco  driving front axle on an 841.  There  was a PTO on left side of trans and output shaft made a 90 degree turn to the driveshaft that ran to front axle-not exactly a low maintenance set up but if my memory is correct there was some sort of sheer pin arrangement.

386A47DA-6909-472A-A043-FF438810675D.jpeg

On 4/19/2021 at 9:21 PM, iamweasel said:

To Twintornados, PACCAR offers an Allison transmission, too, just as they always have.  I suspect the Allison will be a majority of their sales in medium duty even though the TX is "standard."   All it takes is one mouse click to replace the TX with the Allison when ordering a truck.  Simple...

Simple...but at extra cost which is why most fleets won't "mouse click" it.