New Light & Medium Duty News

9 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Forgive me guys, but I just can't help myself. I made this riddle up; well somebody has to be the first to come up with a joke or riddle, right?  There's a new model SUV coming out. It's a cross between an Escalade and a Navigator. Wanna guess the name?

Escalator or Escavator?

Navilade sounds like a breakfast spread….

Edited by jpd80

On 7/9/2021 at 11:13 AM, Joe771476 said:

Forgive me guys, but I just can't help myself. I made this riddle up; well somebody has to be the first to come up with a joke or riddle, right?  There's a new model SUV coming out. It's a cross between an Escalade and a Navigator. Wanna guess the name?

Escalator is the only thing that comes up... pun intended.

For the executives who don't climb the corporate ladder, because this ride is easier.

Edited by atomcat68
  • Haha 1

Well I was watching youtube videos of the terrible Surfside condo collapse, and I thought I was hearing things. But at the the 24:44 mark, the guy says, referring to the pool section that had not sunk or fallen "Yeah that pool was built Ford tough!"  With apologies to Bob R., could that be the new replacement for "built like a Mack truck?"  Well I wouldn't worry Bob, as long as Ford does not make a class 8 tandem axle tanker/pumper or a tri-axle dump, the Mack slogan is safe and still the standard!  Too bad Ford, you lose!  I'll shame them into it if it's the last thing I do!

(222) Analysis Garage Video BEFORE Condo Collapse: Water Everywhere - YouTube

1 hour ago, Joe771476 said:

Well I was watching youtube videos of the terrible Surfside condo collapse, and I thought I was hearing things. But at the the 24:44 mark, the guy says, referring to the pool section that had not sunk or fallen "Yeah that pool was built Ford tough!"  With apologies to Bob R., could that be the new replacement for "built like a Mack truck?"  Well I wouldn't worry Bob, as long as Ford does not make a class 8 tandem axle tanker/pumper or a tri-axle dump, the Mack slogan is safe and still the standard!  Too bad Ford, you lose!  I'll shame them into it if it's the last thing I do!

(222) Analysis Garage Video BEFORE Condo Collapse: Water Everywhere - YouTube

Hah Joe...Both work for me!

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

They built 1800 MDs last month

JP- Age old question..assume 600's are in that  number?  Still see very few 600's in dealer inventory around here. 

And speaking of that, my local dealer had a new Bronco parked in front so I stopped to take a look-very nice.  Also wandered over to their commercial truck area that had a very heavy spec 750 outfitted with a hook lift complete with load cover.   Unusual thing was this was a Super Cab.  So before long truck mgr wanders over.  I ask  "who bought this given its unusual spec -Super Cab with a very heavy  hook lift- and he says "no one".  I mention IMO unusual to see a super cab in that application and his answer is..."only thing I could get and I needed something for inventory- somebody like a landscaper  will find a use for the extra  seats".

This dealer usually has one or two 650/750 dumps in stock but nothing now-never seen the lot so empty.

The 750 hook lift judging by the Good Years on it was a real 33,000 lb GVW but it had a derate plate to 26,000.

the CDL issue continues to rule and guys will buy the truck with the heavy specs but take their chances and pay the overweight fines vs paying (or finding for that matter) a CDL driver.

9 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

JP- Age old question..assume 600's are in that  number?  Still see very few 600's in dealer inventory around here. 

And speaking of that, my local dealer had a new Bronco parked in front so I stopped to take a look-very nice.  Also wandered over to their commercial truck area that had a very heavy spec 750 outfitted with a hook lift complete with load cover.   Unusual thing was this was a Super Cab.  So before long truck mgr wanders over.  I ask  "who bought this given its unusual spec -Super Cab with a very heavy  hook lift- and he says "no one".  I mention IMO unusual to see a super cab in that application and his answer is..."only thing I could get and I needed something for inventory- somebody like a landscaper  will find a use for the extra  seats".

This dealer usually has one or two 650/750 dumps in stock but nothing now-never seen the lot so empty.

The 750 hook lift judging by the Good Years on it was a real 33,000 lb GVW but it had a derate plate to 26,000.

the CDL issue continues to rule and guys will buy the truck with the heavy specs but take their chances and pay the overweight fines vs paying (or finding for that matter) a CDL driver.

It has become harder and harder to sell 33K GVWR trucks to the general public.  Like you said, buy a D-Rated 26K GVWR and take your chances with DOT.  Much easier doing that than dealing with the handcuff of needing to have a CDL driver.

2 hours ago, iamweasel said:

It has become harder and harder to sell 33K GVWR trucks to the general public.  Like you said, buy a D-Rated 26K GVWR and take your chances with DOT.  Much easier doing that than dealing with the handcuff of needing to have a CDL driver.

Hah-and what is harder, finding one who knows what a clutch pedal is.  No sure how widespread this is  but in Mass. if a person takes  his CDL road test on an automatic, his license carries an automatic trans restriction.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:49 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Hah-and what is harder, finding one who knows what a clutch pedal is.  No sure how widespread this is  but in Mass. if a person takes  his CDL road test on an automatic, his license carries an automatic trans restriction.

They started doing that in my state, too.  Definitely helped speed up the movement towards automatics in just about everything.  

Medium Duty is nearly all automatic

Sleepers are nearly all automated

Vocational trucks (dumps, cranes, etc) are 90% automatic and rising fast

Daycab tractors are still a mix of transmission.  Lighter duty on-highway trucks and fuel haulers are mostly automated transmission.  Only things like loggers, heavy-haul, etc, still primarily use manuals.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Ford will again have an early MY for the 650/750.  Initial ordering for the 2023 MY 650/750 starts 10/13/21 with production beginning 1/17/22.  Not sure why Ford continues to start the MY so early for these models.  No word on changes for the 2023's, other than air brakes for the gasoline engine versions may finally be available.

Not much information out yet on the 650/750's competition for next year.    

41 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

Looks like Ford will again have an early MY for the 650/750.  Initial ordering for the 2023 MY 650/750 starts 10/13/21 with production beginning 1/17/22.  Not sure why Ford continues to start the MY so early for these models.  No word on changes for the 2023's, other than air brakes for the gasoline engine versions may finally be available.

It will be interesting to see if that grows sales or just cannibalises existing sales or brings in new buyers

On 8/3/2021 at 5:23 PM, 7Mary3 said:

Freightliner starts the 2023 models on the first business day in January 2022.  Been that way for several years for them.

When I was working at Ford Motor Co we were slowly moving model years up when we could.  It was all about profit and revenue, as those two things typically increase with each model year.  When looking at a given calendar year, if you have a choice of:

• Option 1= 2022MY from Jan-May at $X revenue and Y% profit and 2023MY from June-December at  ($X+2%) revenue and (Y%+2%) profit -OR-
  • Option 2 = Moving Job 1 up a couple months and doing 3 months at the lower 2022MY #'s and 9 months at the higher 2023MY numbers

Obviously Option 2 will yield better #'s for the 2022 calendar year.  

• 3 weeks later...

Volvo Trucks to acquire JMC Heavy Duty Vehicle Co Limited. - Press Release 23rd August 2021

Volvo Trucks acquires heavy-duty truck manufacturing operation in China Volvo Trucks has agreed to acquire JMC Heavy Duty Vehicle Co., Ltd., a subsidiary of Jiangling Motors Co., Ltd., which includes a manufacturing site in Taiyuan, Shanxi province, China, for an amount of RMB 0.8 billion (approximately SEK 1.1 billion). The objective is to start production of the new heavy-duty Volvo FH, Volvo FM and Volvo FMX trucks in Taiyuan for customers in China from the end of 2022. Volvo Trucks has been active in the Chinese market since 1934. During the last couple of years, the strong growth of logistics services, including e-commerce, has led to a surge in the sales of Volvo trucks in the country. In 2020, more than 4,500 heavy-duty Volvo trucks were imported and delivered to customers in China. In line with the long-term Volvo Group strategy, Volvo Trucks is therefore expanding its business operation in China. “We are committed to shaping the future of sustainable transport solutions. With our long standing presence in China, we are growing our sales, and we are expanding our strong network of sales and service points together with our private dealer partners. Over the last couple of years, we have seen a fast development of the logistics markets and an increasing demand for our premium trucks and services. To meet the demand from Chinese transport operators, the time is right for us to establish a regional value chain with our own heavy duty truck manufacturing in China,” says Roger Alm, President Volvo Trucks. The operations in Taiyuan will include stamping, welding, manufacturing of cabs, painting and the final assembly of Volvo trucks. After investment, within a few years, the plant will have the capacity to produce 15,000 Volvo trucks per year with the potential to increase the capacity further. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.

On 8/25/2021 at 4:53 PM, 7Mary3 said:

Good move for Volvo.  I wonder what this means for Otosan as they have now lost access to both the South American and Asian markets.

?? How so?  JMC had nothing to do with Otosan did it?  And were they at all involved with the Cargo production in Brazil?  If anything Ford's decision to abandon SA if anything makes an Otosan presence easier I would think.

Seems to me their concentration is Middle East and EU