New Light & Medium Duty News

A few odds and ends- I am finally seeing 7.3L F-650's around, local muncipality bought a few.  My local Ford Commercial (Pro?) dealer has a few F-550's in stock, but no 650's or 750's.  Galpin doesn't have any 650's or 750's either.  There is a contractor that I help with vehicle and equipment purchases and he is looking ordering new class 6-7 trucks.  Trying to get him to look at an F-650 (if a local dealer ever gets one in stock) but he is leaning towards the new Isuzu/Chevy LCF with the Cummins.  Those trucks were supposed to have been out last fall but got delayed (surprise?) and are just coming out now.  Talked to one of the big Chevy Commercial dealers near here (Rotolo) and the commerial sales guy said they are seeing a lot of interest in the 6500/7500 LCF now that it's offered with the 6.7L Cummins.    

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Why is it taking Ford so long to utilize and adapt the Class 1 thru 5 sheet metal/styling.  Would the chassis need that much modification and be too costly?  I think sales would increase dramatically.

You mean on the 650 and 750?  Because they are still using the basic 1999 steel cab on those trucks.

7 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Why is it taking Ford so long to utilize and adapt the Class 1 thru 5 sheet metal/styling.  Would the chassis need that much modification and be too costly?  I think sales would increase dramatically.

No different than Ford Medium Trucks from their past...

Fifth generation (1967-1979)

image.thumb.png.cfc036dae64176b1f948af87dd8e577d.png

Sixth generation (1980-1999) Same cab with updated nose

image.thumb.png.152e97449e3222305a97007160522369.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

While I agree it'd be nice and make sense from an economies of scale standpoint, I don't really see it increasing sales dramatically.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 11:15 AM, 7Mary3 said:

You mean on the 650 and 750?  Because they are still using the basic 1999 steel cab on those trucks.

Yes, but usually the mediums caught up maybe 5 years -- 10 at the most --  later after the class 1 thru 5's.  How long has it been now, 15 to 20 years?

8 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Yes, but usually the mediums caught up maybe 5 years -- 10 at the most --  later after the class 1 thru 5's.  How long has it been now, 15 to 20 years?

Remembering that thes trucks are basically underwater without Ford engines, transmissions and differentials.

Ford wants to keep them but the conditions are only very basic changes, swapped in the 7.3 but kept the 6R140.

This is not beating down of Ford, just a reality of them doing business without being expansive on range.

If you add up F650, F750, stripped chassis, and E-series the volume rivals that of Volvo plus their Mack brand or International. Those manufacturers think it's completely normal to have a cab or three and a selection of powertrains, etc. for those volumes and they're making a profit doing it. Ford needs to think of medium and heavy trucks as a sub-brand like Bronco and give them a new cab every couple decades and add Cummins, Allison, etc. to the options list- With transaction prices of over $100K Ford can turn a profit at these lower volumes and enhance the Ford brand while they're at it. 

2 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

If you add up F650, F750, stripped chassis, and E-series the volume rivals that of Volvo plus their Mack brand or International. Those manufacturers think it's completely normal to have a cab or three and a selection of powertrains, etc. for those volumes and they're making a profit doing it. Ford needs to think of medium and heavy trucks as a sub-brand like Bronco and give them a new cab every couple decades and add Cummins, Allison, etc. to the options list- With transaction prices of over $100K Ford can turn a profit at these lower volumes and enhance the Ford brand while they're at it. 

Good luck with that, would love to see but enough time following Ford to know that they’re not interested in expanding their upper F Series  or even new E Series for that matter……Maybe approaching BEVs are causing them to hold off instead of spending on more ICE versions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 6:54 AM, Joe771476 said:

Anybody see the Ford TV ad featuring Ford-based ambulances among other vehicles?  Or was I dreaming?

Saw it Joe..but they better use it while they can....Ram seems to be doing well in that market around here. One guy told me Ford lead times are a big issue...although can't see why Ram would not have similar issues.

On 5/21/2022 at 10:13 AM, Bob Rosadini said:

Saw it Joe..but they better use it while they can....Ram seems to be doing well in that market around here. One guy told me Ford lead times are a big issue...although can't see why Ram would not have similar issues.

Baltimore City has been Ram for the past few years.  Seems that around here (Metropolitan Washington/Baltimore region) Freightliner is the big winner. 

Some interesting news: Turkey wants to invade Syria, not sure how that would affect -- if at all -- Ford Otosan.  Bluebird Bus is expanding into commercial EV class 4 thru 5 chassis. VW coming out with a Scout EV pickup, I'm assuming Scout because they own International now?  So if VW can make EV pickups competing with Ford, then Ford should reciprocate and build class 8 trucks!  Right?  Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

Edited by Joe771476

On 5/25/2022 at 6:46 AM, 7Mary3 said:

Yes,  VW got the 'Scout' name from Navistar when Traton bought them.  Brilliant move if you ask me, VW can have a full range of BEV trucks and SUV's under the Scout name.   

First vehicles are planned for 2026?

https://www.motor1.com/news/588164/vw-scout-brand-dealers-want-answers/

Volkswagen Group will establish a new brand in the United States focused on adventure vehicles. If everything goes as planned, the so-called Scout marque will become official later this year and in 2024, we will see the first prototypes of an SUV and a pickup truck. The final production models should hit the market in 2026, though it seems that not everyone is as excited about the new brand as Volkswagen is.

According to a new report by Automotive News, the National Automobile Dealers Association and several state associations reached out to Volkswagen of America asking questions about how the new brand will be marketed and retailed in the United States. More precisely, the dealers' associations wanted to have guarantees that any marketing plan won’t violate state franchise laws, according to the online publication. 

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

First vehicles are planned for 2026?

https://www.motor1.com/news/588164/vw-scout-brand-dealers-want-answers/

Volkswagen Group will establish a new brand in the United States focused on adventure vehicles. If everything goes as planned, the so-called Scout marque will become official later this year and in 2024, we will see the first prototypes of an SUV and a pickup truck.

I predict that after 5 years, it will be folded into VW much like Scion was folded into Toyota.

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

I predict that after 5 years, it will be folded into VW much like Scion was folded into Toyota.

Yes I tend to agree, VW Dealers are already asking questions about how the new brand is supposed to function.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1