New Light & Medium Duty News

6 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

And add the decision to not offer the 7.3 with an air brake option.  Supposedly 7.3 is such a heat generator, air piping would be a problem.  I would imagine the Ford Pro Division -or whatever the name "du jour" is-has a "director of excuses".

Correct

It’s much easier to find reasons to not do something than to press ahead and overcome those perceived issues. They just don’t want to implement industry standard equipment and brands ( beaten to death)

The main focus is and always has been to avoiding spending money where perhaps the brass see it as counter to maximising profits on smaller build numbers.

Some 2024 F-650/750 info:

10 Speed Torq-Shift transmission will only be available with the 6.7L Powerstroke, the 7.3L gas engine continues with the 6R-140 (a combination I really wish was available in the F-350).

Air brakes finally listed as an option for the gas engine.

Tractor package seems to have disappeared.  I never saw one anyway...

No other changes that I can see as of yet.  

14 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Some 2024 F-650/750 info:

10 Speed Torq-Shift transmission will only be available with the 6.7L Powerstroke, the 7.3L gas engine continues with the 6R-140 (a combination I really wish was available in the F-350).

Air brakes finally listed as an option for the gas engine.

Tractor package seems to have disappeared.  I never saw one anyway...

No other changes that I can see as of yet.  

7m-good info.  good news on air brake option for 7.3.  Having grown up in the "general contractor " world,

these guys typically own class 6/7 trucks as a tool in the furtherance of their business-which is building...they might need a load of backfill, or gravel or mason sand or they might have to hook the tag trailer up to move a skid steer, TLB etc.  Saving $10 g with a 7.3 in a 33,000 lb 750 WITH air to the rear to safely pull a 10 ton tag is a requirement.

I wonder if the decision to not offer 10 spd  with 7.3 is a supply constraint.

How about it Ice Capades...any chance we will see '24 order guides soon?

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The ‘24 MDs are already on Ford.com well, the straight frame version is and the 7.3 + 6F140 continues 

but air brakes are now an option on 7.3 straight frame and 7.3/6.7 ProLoader ( bottom of page under specs)

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/f650-f750/models/f650-sd-gas-straight-frame/

Great.  about time on the air brake availability with 7.3.

56 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

It was a humorous reference to a typo in jpd's post--a 6F140 would be a FWD transaxle, rather than the 6R140 that they actually have. 

thx guys- I usually don't pay attention to  the trans chatter- Remember, I'm of the C-6 era?

On another point 7M had referenced he thought tractor option was gone.  Looks like that was a correct call as I saw no reference to  that -unless a typical oversite on whoever puts the "filtered" abbreviated specs they post on Ford website.

If true however, as I had mentioned, frequent use for a class 7 is to pull a tag trailer...with air brakes.  the tractor option provided a nice pod that attached to dash with parking brake and tractor protection valves as well as air gauge and a "spike'" to apply just trailer brakes. Without that option, another PITA addition a buyer will  have to go through.  And I think "air/electric to frame end" in the past was a stand alone option as well making it easier for the buyer/body supplier.

As for 7m's comment that he has never seen a 650/750 tractor in any case- I think I saw one on the road!

But another missed opportunity.  Most of the beverage big guys-Coke and Pepsi at least here in Northeast use class 7 tractors with  side loader single axle beverage trailers.  The 750 PS/Torque shift could handle that service -a diminishing load and closest thing to P & D service when all the carriers in the old days used Fords, GMs and Internationals in that service.  Probably head of Ford Pro said..."tractors?-Ford sold that ag business a long time ago-don't need that"?

Something I've noticed... We don't have Kroger grocery stores here, but we do have Kroger grocery delivery, and they seem to be exclusively using Transit-based box trucks. I'm presuming they're chassis cabs, what with the refrigeration and all, but I guess they could be cutaways. 

Edited by SoonerLS

Must watch TV: COZI TV channel is airing a 50th anniversary of the TV show "Emergency."  Randolph Mantooth has aged a little bit better than Kevin Tighe. Sorry Kevin! Anyway, remember the old Crowns that LA County Fire used? Then they bought 60 Ward LaFrances so WLF donated one for the TV show so Universal didn't have to steal one out of the barn somewhere for shooting. The yellow Chevy or GMC ambulance was so hated by a director, that he had it intentionally destroyed in an accident in one episode. It's being restored. I suspect the hospital staff got top billing because they were veteran actors, while Mantooth and Tighe were newbies. Nothing to do with Ford you say?  Check out the Crown link below for Ford references. The LaFrance brothers were responsible for the Ward LaFrance and American LaFrance. The latter was very popular here in New England since they were built in Elmira New York. I can't understand how they went out of business and later the brand was revived by Freightliner but not for long. Randolph Mantooth is interviewed while sitting in front of a Ford  F450, probably a first attack or rescue vehicle. 

Crown Firecoach - Wikipedia

Ward LaFrance Truck Corporation - Wikipedia

9 hours ago, twintornados said:

Loved the show....even if they drove a Dodge.

Jack Webb produced 'Emergency', and he was a stickler for details.  When the County of Los Angeles started their paramedic program, they used the many Dodge D-300 rescue squads they had in their fleet.  So, Universal Studios bought a new Dodge and had it outfitted with the same body and equipment the County used for the show.  The pumper originally was an older Crown Firecoach borrowed from the County's reserve fleet, but later when the County bought new Ward LaFrance pumpers (and the show was a big hit $$$) Universal bought their own Ward.  Story was they paid for one additional truck on the County's order. 

L.A. County was a big Chrysler customer but by the late 70's they started buying Chevy C-30's for paramedic squads.  They had Ford F-350's in the 90's but went back to Dodge (Ram) in recent years.