New Light & Medium Duty News

A redesigned E-Transit will share the same platform as a redesigned F-150 Lightning in 2026 (and be built at Ohio Assembly):

https://fordauthority.com/2023/01/next-generation-ford-e-transit-should-arrive-in-2026-report/

Meanwhile, the ICE Transit will carry on as is through 2030:

https://fordauthority.com/2023/01/ice-ford-transit-production-will-continue-into-2030-report/

So the E-Transit will be BOF?

On 2/17/2023 at 12:20 AM, 7Mary3 said:

The P-30 cut-away wasn't.  The cab was borrowed from the G series van, but it had a composite tip front front end.  Kind of like the later TopKick/Kodiak:

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/cc-cohort/cohort-pick-of-the-day-lazy-daze-class-c-rv-on-chevy-g30-hd-chassis-why-didnt-all-big-vans-have-tilt-hoods/

So they took the unibody G van cab and placed it on a truck frame?

I wonder if the same can be done with the Transit cab...

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 12:59 AM, bzcat said:

Seems like a strange article to be writing about van sales and exclude Sprinter. 

GM's sales increase basically tracked Nissan's decline. If you want a thirsty V8 in your van, you only got one place to go now.

I'm really curious about the E-series update posted up thread.

Mercedes doesn't report their numbers.

IICR, first they merged their Metris numbers and Sprinter numbers together.

Then they stopped reporting them altogether.

5 hours ago, zipnzap said:

A redesigned E-Transit will share the same platform as a redesigned F-150 Lightning in 2026 (and be built at Ohio Assembly):

https://fordauthority.com/2023/01/next-generation-ford-e-transit-should-arrive-in-2026-report/

Meanwhile, the ICE Transit will carry on as is through 2030:

https://fordauthority.com/2023/01/ice-ford-transit-production-will-continue-into-2030-report/

So the E-Transit will be BOF?

The second gen Lightening is supposed to be a clean sheet design. 

Maybe it will go on an improved 1st gen Lighting platform?

1 hour ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

The 5 liter Cummins V8 may yet find application(s), The 903 V8 flopped in big trucks but found a home in military vehicles.

Is Cummins 4.2L inline-6 still around, and was it ever used in vehicles?  I think it may be related to the 2.8L inline-4 that GM used in the diesel Express until recently.  Most common application I have seen for the 4.2L was (or has been) Mercruiser marine, but not sure about vehicles.  Seems a good size for lighter applications requiring less than 6.7L Cummins.

It’s why Ford passed on the 4.4 V8 Lion in F Truck and why Ram tested Cummins 5.0 V8 in the 1500 but couldn’t get better than 23 mpg. Something about the combination of highway fuel economy and benefits when towing just doesn’t add up for the OEMs and I just don’t think it’s what most of the market wants….

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

It’s why Ford passed on the 4.4 V8 Lion in F Truck and why Ram tested Cummins 5.0 V8 in the 1500 but couldn’t get better than 23 mpg. Something about the combination of highway fuel economy and benefits when towing just doesn’t add up for the OEMs and I just don’t think it’s what most of the market wants….

JP..Ram tested the 5.0??? Nissan had it for a while but it did not last long.  As to rick's comment on small Cummins, per their website they  have two 4 bangers, a 3.8 and a 2.8 but looks like Euro only.

3 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

JP..Ram tested the 5.0??? Nissan had it for a while but it did not last long.  As to rick's comment on small Cummins, per their website they  have two 4 bangers, a 3.8 and a 2.8 but looks like Euro only.

Yes, they did their own testing but couldn’t get more than 23 mpg highway so shelved the whole thing.

The heavy half ton was a rabbit hole Ford, GM and Ram just couldn’t justify, Nissan proving the point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I recall when these engines were first discussed in press almost 20 years ago.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/0612dp-new-cummins-v6-and-v8/

Original engines tested were 4.2L V6 and 5.6L V8 which shared same 94 mm bore and 100 mm stroke with 2.8L inline-4.  Apparently the 5.6L V8 was destroked from 100 mm to 90 mm to reduce displacement from 5.6L to what became 5.0L V8.

I personally like inline-6 configuration and wondered why Cummins did not modify the marine 4.2L inline-6 which also shares same 94 mm bore and 100 mm stroke.  I’m sure length is an issue, but if 6.7L inline-6 fits in HD RAM pickups, the 4.2L can’t be that much too long.  There must be other considerations making an upgraded 4.2L I-6 a non-starter.

49F12F72-BF7D-45CB-B2F8-DB6DCF7EE132.thumb.jpeg.ca27932a0baf131d097f35b3f74c32ff.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

I recall when these engines were first discussed in press almost 20 years ago.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/0612dp-new-cummins-v6-and-v8/

Original engines tested were 4.2L V6 and 5.6L V8 which shared same 94 mm bore and 100 mm stroke with 2.8L inline-4.  Apparently the 5.6L V8 was destroked from 100 mm to 90 mm to reduce displacement from 5.6L to what became 5.0L V8.

I personally like inline-6 configuration and wondered why Cummins did not modify the marine 4.2L inline-6 which also shares same 94 mm bore and 100 mm stroke.  I’m sure length is an issue, but if 6.7L inline-6 fits in HD RAM pickups, the 4.2L can’t be that much too long.  There must be other considerations making an upgraded 4.2L I-6 a non-starter.

49F12F72-BF7D-45CB-B2F8-DB6DCF7EE132.thumb.jpeg.ca27932a0baf131d097f35b3f74c32ff.jpeg

And the reason why  a 4.0-5.0 diesel in a half ton pickup wasn’t a high priority because (A fuel prices were low and (B emissions costs with diesels increased making them a premium price and

(C harder to justify over pointing to an already available HD2500 truck

On 2/20/2023 at 2:55 AM, silvrsvt said:

The second gen Lightening is supposed to be a clean sheet design. 

Maybe it will go on an improved 1st gen Lighting platform?

The article states that the next-gen Lightning is coming out in 2025.

Then the E-Transit will be built on top of whatever that's based on.

3 hours ago, zipnzap said:

The article states that the next-gen Lightning is coming out in 2025.

Then the E-Transit will be built on top of whatever that's based on.

Lighting is TE1 platform. 

E-Transit will not use TE1 for sure. Ford already said TE1 will not make it to Europe. Ford hasn't said much about which platform next gen Transit will use but the new Transit Custom that was just revealed (ICE and EV) uses the current FWD version of the Transit platform. I think as long as Ford is still producing ICE Transit, they will stick with the existing platform. The first clean sheet E-Transit will come when the ICE van market is finished... that won't happen for a while. 

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2022/09/12/all-new--all-electric-e-transit-custom-from-ford-pro-is-set-to-s.html

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2022/11/22/ford-pro-reveals-all-electric-e-tourneo-custom-multi-activity-ve.html

Edited by bzcat

3 hours ago, zipnzap said:

Can't they just simply redesign the firewall?

They might be able to, but it would likely be expensive.  The impression I get is that the F-650 and 750 are hanging by a thread generating little or no profits on small volume, and the only reason they are still around is because some 'Ford Pro' dealers like selling them.  The trucks do have a little niche to themselves being the lowest cost class 6 and 7 trucks on the market.  Thus, it would be very hard for Ford to justify spending any money on these trucks.  A universal E series-medium duty F series cab sounds like a good idea but I can't see Ford spending much money on it.     

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

BTW, looks like the E series is only getting a minor refresh:

https://fordauthority.com/2023/02/ford-e-series-refresh-spotted-testing-for-first-time/

In other news from the same source, they are reporting the 'economy' version of the 7.3L will be dropped from the E series.  My guess is it will be replaced by the 6.8L.

7Mary3, there may be more to this E-Series update than a minor refresh if the wheels and tires being tested on that E-450 are any indication.

Tires looked narrow to me, and zooming in on picture confirmed they are 215/75R17.5 (Conti Hybrid), which have much higher load capacity (roughly 1,000 pounds higher per tire or more).  Tire diameter is about the same as the SRW E-Series, so shouldn’t require a lift or different fenders like the old E-550 needed.

Ford may not be thinking of taking E-Series all the way to 19,500-pound GVWR as with previous E-550,  but that they are testing much higher-capacity tires and wheels is interesting.

D0A42233-4C66-42DE-9E2F-ACC843B056BA.thumb.jpeg.b20ad0d174a96162951f6a81e9b84fb2.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:25 AM, Bob Rosadini said:

Just a thought if anything would be done, and if Ford is SERIOUS about commercial trucks, I would think a new cab structure that provides a new 650-750 cab structure that would also be utilized for the E would make sense.  As GM did years ago but in reverse-they used the van cab structure for their class 6 and 7's.

A cab with common components would eliminate a cab as well as offering good opportunity for better visibility in 650/750, perhaps a bit better BBC, and more room to make it more competitive with F'liner, International and the Paccars.

A fraction of the dollars that will be spent on Formula 1?

Yeah Bob, and when I first saw that Van cab as a medium, it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen!  BTW, is there a sale on Broncos?  Last weekend on my Sunday 20 mile trek, I saw a dozen or more new Broncos!  What gives?

Edited by Joe771476

11 hours ago, Rick73 said:

7Mary3, there may be more to this E-Series update than a minor refresh if the wheels and tires being tested on that E-450 are any indication.

Tires looked narrow to me, and zooming in on picture confirmed they are 215/75R17.5 (Conti Hybrid), which have much higher load capacity (roughly 1,000 pounds higher per tire or more).  Tire diameter is about the same as the SRW E-Series, so shouldn’t require a lift or different fenders like the old E-550 needed.

Ford may not be thinking of taking E-Series all the way to 19,500-pound GVWR as with previous E-550,  but that they are testing much higher-capacity tires and wheels is interesting.

D0A42233-4C66-42DE-9E2F-ACC843B056BA.thumb.jpeg.b20ad0d174a96162951f6a81e9b84fb2.jpeg

Good catch!  Still has 8 lug wheels and judging by the negative camber, looks like it has 'Twin-I-Beam'.

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Good catch!  Still has 8 lug wheels and judging by the negative camber, looks like it has 'Twin-I-Beam'.

Yes, but if upgrade includes adopting F-350 components, as an example, the 8 lugs would go from 6.5-  to 7.87-inch bolt circle.  I do not know if that would help in increasing GVWR, since F-450 that goes up to 16,500 pounds uses 10 lugs.  I can’t tell bolt circle differences from picture.

Do you happen to know how high GVWR can go on E-450 before Ford would call it an E-550?  I though Class 4 went up to 16,000 pounds, but see F-450 listed at 16,500 pounds?

43 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Yes, but if upgrade includes adopting F-350 components, as an example, the 8 lugs would go from 6.5-  to 7.87-inch bolt circle.  I do not know if that would help in increasing GVWR, since F-450 that goes up to 16,500 pounds uses 10 lugs.  I can’t tell bolt circle differences from picture.

Do you happen to know how high GVWR can go on E-450 before Ford would call it an E-550?  I though Class 4 went up to 16,000 pounds, but see F-450 listed at 16,500 pounds?

Not sure how much it effects weight capacity, but the superduty wheels are hubcentric vs lug centric for the older pattern. Might be some gain there with the hub holding the wheel instead of the lugs.

5 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Not sure, the current E Series tops out at the 450 model and I think the GVW is about 14,500#'s.  Those wheels are hub-centric, notice the lug nuts with the attached washer.

• Like 1

Another possible minor difference between current E-450 and the one in Ford Authority picture is that the overall width at rear axle seems a little narrower, though it’s difficult to tell from a picture taken at an angle since it can be an optical illusion.  However, since tires are 10 mm narrower each, it makes sense overall width could be significantly narrower; even if same track width is maintained. 

Ford Specs show E-450 rear track is 2.3 inches wider than that of E-350, and on picture the rear wheels do not extend out beyond what appears to be a relatively narrow body (by comparison to cab).   For some applications this could be a plus.

D39FB82F-CDE1-4A30-BFDC-7E92C58ACCBB.thumb.png.070631fb0a331e16b2dcb23c07c4bc8b.png