New Light & Medium Duty News

On 3/2/2023 at 8:22 AM, Bob Rosadini said:

Speaking of dropping things, Ford  Authority today says that the flex fuel option will  no longer be available.

Sounds like part of the further plan to "save Ford" right out of business.?

Yes I know, I don't have all the facts and I'm sure the stock answer will  be .."the option had little volume, therefore...."

But as I see it, it was  engineered in to the truck so the issue is... it was a PITA from a scheduling issue?

I just saw a Ford Explorer not-yet -in-service police cruiser heading back to the outfitter's location and it said FLEX FUEL but it was emanating a slightly unpleasant odor.

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Wow-wonder what those batteries weigh??  Truck is a good looking improvement in any case.

I would guess a lot!  Probably why the truck is based on the 19,500# GVW NRR and not the NPR.  Interesting it will be available with 3, 6, or 9 battery packs.  Buyer can tailor the truck to their own GVW and range needs.     

In other news, anyone hear about the new 'Elite Commercial Service Centers'?  Supposedly (at least according to 'Automotive News' and 'FordAuthority') Ford dealers with sufficient commercial business are being asked to invest in this new program to the tune of $9-15M to provide dedicated service facilities to commercial customers.  Ford will assist dealers $250,000 to $300,000 to build the required 24 large service bays, provide 5+ mobile service vans, and stay open 72 hours per week.  There seems to be nothing in this about making new commercial trucks more available or shortening delivery times, nor any mention about Ford's problems with backordered replacement parts (BTW, I have been waiting for a catalytic converter since October...).  Coming from a fleet perspective, I don't see much chance of success for this program.  I don't see many dealers going for it in the first place and there will be little chance the operation will be cost-competitive, particularly considering the cash outlay the participating dealers will have to front.  Sure, a lot of fleets will use it for warranty, but after that good luck.  And we know how generous Ford is to dealers when they perform warranty work.  

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

In other news, anyone hear about the new 'Elite Commercial Service Centers'?  Supposedly (at least according to 'Automotive News' and 'FordAuthority') Ford dealers with sufficient commercial business are being asked to invest in this new program to the tune of $9-15M to provide dedicated service facilities to commercial customers.  Ford will assist dealers $250,000 to $300,000 to build the required 24 large service bays, provide 5+ mobile service vans, and stay open 72 hours per week.  There seems to be nothing in this about making new commercial trucks more available or shortening delivery times, nor any mention about Ford's problems with backordered replacement parts (BTW, I have been waiting for a catalytic converter since October...).  Coming from a fleet perspective, I don't see much chance of success for this program.  I don't see many dealers going for it in the first place and there will be little chance the operation will be cost-competitive, particularly considering the cash outlay the participating dealers will have to front.  Sure, a lot of fleets will use it for warranty, but after that good luck.  And we know how generous Ford is to dealers when they perform warranty work.  

7m..For sure I think they are smoking something..I think it said they were looking at 120 sites?  Might work in the biggest metro areas but like here in Mass, even Boston proper doesn't have the volume I would think to justify that kind of investment.  There are probably 4 or 5 Ford Pro dealers scattered around the two beltways -Rt 128 and 495.  Who would want to send their trucks into Boston when the existing dealer network works.  Listen to the radio traffic reports from like 6AM to 9 AM and then like 3PM to 6PM-brutal.  Oh and staffing for 72hours a week?  Yes the "synergism" factor sounds good with a high volume operation.  But from a customer convenience perspective, I think more widely located operations works best.

The one good thing I got out of  the article was the bays had to have 14ft doors.  I might be reading too much in that but it says to me they are NOT just looking at Transits.  And in any case, they are not going to justify I would think that kind of investment with the current product mix.  Class 6 and 7 will have to be a part of that hence the 14' doors.  I look at what is happening at Amazon.  Initially, the majority of vans were Promasters.  Then I started seeing DRW Transit 350's with boxes.  Now I'm seeing more and more Hino'swith 24/26 ft boxes.  Almost seems like the familiar pattern where distribution operations start out with smaller equipment and then the economics of putting more on the trucks raises its head.

But again I'm sure Ford knows best?

Here is another interesting article from 'FordAuthority':

https://fordauthority.com/2023/03/most-ford-driveshafts-arent-being-purchased-by-car-shoppers/#comments

I'll bet that 75% of those 300 driveshafts are for the F-650, 750, and F53.  Thing is if Ford wants to be a big player in commercial trucks they are going to have to accept some complexity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

Here is another interesting article from 'FordAuthority':

https://fordauthority.com/2023/03/most-ford-driveshafts-arent-being-purchased-by-car-shoppers/#comments

I'll bet that 75% of those 300 driveshafts are for the F-650, 750, and F53.  Thing is if Ford wants to be a big player in commercial trucks they are going to have to accept some complexity.

Just read the article.  My first thought, the complexity  is for a reason..as you point out 650/750 is a good example.  Looking at one of the650/750 spec sheets there are 31 wheelbase lengths.  Within those WB's  I  would have to believe for example that a 182" WB in a 650 at 26,000 GVW with a gas engine is probably not the same shaft assembly as a 182" 750 with  37,000 GVW and a Power Stroke.  Ford's speech writers probably did not research the subject that thoroughly.  and using drive shafts as the example if they want to simplify, I would think they run the risk of compromising the spec- one way or the other.  If they err on the lesser side, durability/claims will suffer.  If they err on the heavy side, they are leaving money on the table.

18 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Sounds like the Ford heavy truck dealers that Ford abandoned when they got out of heavy truck making...

One big difference, when they got into exclusive "heavy truck stores", I believe they were heavily financed by Ford as a "dealer development program".  A lot of the locations I was familiar with here in the Northeast were all a common structure..one design that they all had.  And I can bet in 1969, the dollars that Ford invested was a lot more than the 250,000 to 300,000 they are willing to "invest" today.  

A wlld guess,  a 14' overhead door today with a decent R value and and an electric opener is probably north of 5G...so 24 x 5000 , $120,000 buys the doors!

I've noticed that- All the old Ford Truck Centers had a whole row of tall doors and boxy 60s shape. The old Boyer Ford was a small version of that, the other one I'm familiar with is Midway Ford in Kansas City. Read up on them and turns out they were originally a factory owned store- Perhaps that explains the common design themes too.

1 hour ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

I've noticed that- All the old Ford Truck Centers had a whole row of tall doors and boxy 60s shape. The old Boyer Ford was a small version of that, the other one I'm familiar with is Midway Ford in Kansas City. Read up on them and turns out they were originally a factory owned store- Perhaps that explains the common design themes too.

Correct..I think Ford built them and then the dealer would over time pay down the "loan" or investment.

I submitted this in another thread, but it's time for Ford to team up with/buy Bluebird and then they could offer in-house power trains such as gas, diesel, propane and electric. When parents see the blue oval on a school bus transporting and protecting their children, it will translate into more pickup and SUV sales!  International/IC and Freightliner/Thomas do not get this same benefit because there are no Freightliner and International BRAND pickups and SUV's!  Get it? It's called marketing! It's a win-win for Ford!

On 3/10/2023 at 10:04 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Correct..I think Ford built them and then the dealer would over time pay down the "loan" or investment.

For the "Dealer Development" stores, yes, that's generally how it worked.

Ford, just like many of the other OEM's, have detailed architect drawings of what a store would look like depending on the lot size.  You have a 5 acre lot build Version X, you have a 10 acre lot build Version Z, etc.

9 hours ago, iamweasel said:

For the "Dealer Development" stores, yes, that's generally how it worked.

Ford, just like many of the other OEM's, have detailed architect drawings of what a store would look like depending on the lot size.  You have a 5 acre lot build Version X, you have a 10 acre lot build Version Z, etc.

This brings back memories.  Not sure of date but timeframe was like 66/67 and I was assigned to a terminal in Buffalo.  The new Ford heavy truck dealership (Bison Ford) held an open house at their new facility.  This was before the Louisville era so the featured trucks were Super Dutys  (F, FT), N's, C's and W's.  Just as you described the same "cookie cutter" design over the next few years showed up in a lot of Northeast cities.  There were plenty of established dealers who still sold heavies out of their existing facility but these new locations were part of Ford's plan to  become a serious player.

OMG! I just saw a CT DOT F750 -- I'm assuming it's NOT an F650 -- dump/plow truck!  I did, I really did!  First time since 1997!  Of course the previous generation L-series were still around for a while.  The CT DOT never bought the Sterlings since Freightliner was pushing that brand.

3 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

OMG! I just saw a CT DOT F750 -- I'm assuming it's NOT an F650 -- dump/plow truck!  I did, I really did!  First time since 1997!  Of course the previous generation L-series were still around for a while.  The CT DOT never bought the Sterlings since Freightliner was pushing that brand.

Joe get pictures..rare breed!

On 3/13/2023 at 6:15 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

This brings back memories.  Not sure of date but timeframe was like 66/67 and I was assigned to a terminal in Buffalo.  The new Ford heavy truck dealership (Bison Ford) held an open house at their new facility.  This was before the Louisville era so the featured trucks were Super Dutys  (F, FT), N's, C's and W's.  Just as you described the same "cookie cutter" design over the next few years showed up in a lot of Northeast cities.  There were plenty of established dealers who still sold heavies out of their existing facility but these new locations were part of Ford's plan to  become a serious player.

One of the older Ford dealers in Los Angeles was City Ford near down town.  Sometime in the early 70's they opened up a medium/heavy truck facility on Alameda Street on the industrial side, a few blocks away from the GMC factory branch and a big International dealer (and a short distance from the Los Angeles Mack plant, but that's another story).  The showroom, offices, and parts departments were on the south end, the rest was a row of large service bays with doors on both ends.  It may have been one of those Ford specific designs, pictures of that service facility actually appeared on the back of several Ford truck sales brochures.  City Ford eventually bit the dust but the truck dealership lived on as Alameda Ford Truck.  By the late 80's it became the Alameda Truck Center, a Volvo/WhiteGMC dealer along with Ford (the GMC dealer had moved to Sante Fe Springs).  That too went under but eventually it reopened for a while once again as a regular Ford dealer when Sopp Chevrolet of Huntington Park aquired a Ford franchise.  Sopp closed it's doors around the time of the banking crises in the late 2000's, and since then the building has been 'repurposed':

https://goo.gl/maps/nK1CWAGhqm3BKwBT7

Edited by 7Mary3

On 3/14/2023 at 7:00 PM, iamweasel said:

Without pics means it didn't happen!  Did you see it out back parked between the Unicorn and Bigfoot?  :)

Yeah I know, I might have been hallucinating!  It was white with an orange stripe down the side which is their new paint scheme.

• 2 weeks later...