New Light & Medium Duty News

On 3/14/2023 at 7:00 PM, iamweasel said:

Without pics means it didn't happen!  Did you see it out back parked between the Unicorn and Bigfoot?  :)

No, it was parked next to the Starship Enterprise! And that DOES exist!  Or it will someday! Hopefully Class 8 will exist again!

• Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 7:00 PM, iamweasel said:

Without pics means it didn't happen!  Did you see it out back parked between the Unicorn and Bigfoot?  :)

No, it was parked next to the Starship Enterprise! And that DOES exist!  Or it will someday! Hopefully Class 8 will exist again!  By the way, Big Foot does exist...it's blue, a Ford and has four huge wheels!

Well, throughout all this ongoing turmoil at Ford I am NOT presently hearing any rumors of the 650/750's demise.  Maybe they are making a bit of money on them, and/or someone sees these medium trucks as a necessary part of 'Ford Pro'. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Well, throughout all this ongoing turmoil at Ford I am NOT presently hearing any rumors of the 650/750's demise.  Maybe they are making a bit of money on them, and/or someone sees these medium trucks as a necessary part of 'Ford Pro'. 

I'm going to my nearby CT DOT garage which is near where I saw the F750, but I never actually saw it pull into the facility. We'll see if I was seeing things and I'll also try to find out how many were purchased AND to see if the DOT went to Ford, or if Ford offered some for trial testing.  Would they do that?  They would if they were smart!

3 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

I'm going to my nearby CT DOT garage which is near where I saw the F750, but I never actually saw it pull into the facility. We'll see if I was seeing things and I'll also try to find out how many were purchased AND to see if the DOT went to Ford, or if Ford offered some for trial testing.  Would they do that?  They would if they were smart!

As I've posted before Joe, MA DOT has them- my bet is they are 650 or 750's with derated plates so a non cdl can drive them.  Not like the old days-in particular when the Turnpike Authority ran their own show they had L-9000's that were BIG spec trucks.

23 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

As I've posted before Joe, MA DOT has them- my bet is they are 650 or 750's with derated plates so a non cdl can drive them.  Not like the old days-in particular when the Turnpike Authority ran their own show they had L-9000's that were BIG spec trucks.

gee, I don't remember seeing your post saying MASSDOT had them. So can they carry a fully loaded sander?

I just saw the most confounding TV ad for Audi. Now I know Audi is part of VW, and VW and Ford have a joint venture agreement where VW will sell rebranded Ford Transits.  But why would an Audi commercial show 20 Ford Transits with the blue oval in full view? It's insane!  Why show a competitor's vehicle? 

Edited by Joe771476

Ford's agencies can be just as dumb, any tractor in a Ford ad should be a Ford tractor but I've seen tractors in Ford ads that weren't even blue. The real pros in ad production get every detail right, for example only Case IH tractors from related company IVECO will appear in Ram ads. Heck, Stelantis even offers classic IH red as a Ram color option!

57 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Ford's agencies can be just as dumb, any tractor in a Ford ad should be a Ford tractor but I've seen tractors in Ford ads that weren't even blue. The real pros in ad production get every detail right, for example only Case IH tractors from related company IVECO will appear in Ram ads. Heck, Stelantis even offers classic IH red as a Ram color option!

Ram also offers 'New Holland' blue too!  Why?  Because New Holland is part of CNH as well.  No such thing as a Ford tractor anymore, the Ford agricultural legacy belongs to CNH.  

Edited by 7Mary3

14 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Ram also offers 'New Holland' blue too!  Why?  Because New Holland is part of CNH as well.  No such thing as a Ford tractor anymore, the Ford agricultural legacy belongs to CNH.  

Not only an ag legacy, but Ford did well in the industrial market.  Still plenty of 555 FordTLB's in service in my area.  I had a friend that was a sales guy at a Deere dealership-yellow machines- and he told me once he lost an account to Ford he never got it back.  I remember a front page WSJ article many years ago that was on the world tractor market.  It mentioned the traditional big players.."the green, red and tan/orange machines-=Deere, IH, and Case...but a new player in Blue was on the scene"..or words to that effect.  It then went on to discuss Ford's growing market share throughout the world.

At that time I think Romeo was the main tractor operations plant in the US and and Basildon (sp?) in England supplied Europe??  But then after all that effort  to become a world player, someone got the idea...."tractors were not a part of Ford's core business".   I  think Henry would have disagreed.

How many people started "driving"  as a very young kid-as did I- on a Ford tractor?   And as a college kid working his way through school I graduated to  a Ford TLB.  For sure tractors were a part of Ford's legacy.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

How many people started "driving"  as a very young kid-as did I- on a Ford tractor?   And as a college kid working his way through school I graduated to  a Ford TLB.  For sure tractors were a part of Ford's legacy.

1947 or 48 8-N was what I learned on.  Was the only tractor on my grandfather's ranch.  After he passed, it eventually was stolen because of the remote location and nobody living on the property.  But now my dad has acquired 20 ford tractors from the late 40's to the 50's including a couple Jubilees, an 801, a 901, 2 Awesome Henry V8 conversions, and the rest are all 8-N's.  Don't think he has any 9-N's.

• Like 1

Giving Ford's tractor heritage to competitor IVECO/FCA was as much a travesty as was giving Ford Heavy Truck to competitor Daimler. Three decades later "Ford tractor" is still the second most frequent "tractor" search, surpassed only by "John Deere tractor".  I too learned on a 600 series Ford when I worked at a Mercury dealer in the 70s, was a great tool to pull out the Capris and Cortinas with the wide tires that got stuck in an inch of snow on the lot. Still love the N series and expanded my infatuation to the Shibauru built Ford diesel powered AWD compact utility tractors. Now that I've got a country "estate" I needed a tractor, but couldn't find a Ford compact at a decent price, New Holland dealer was overpriced on a new one too, and I ended up with a Deere 1023E- Damn good tractor but wish it was Ford blue!

On 3/31/2023 at 10:17 PM, 7Mary3 said:

Hope I didn't speak too soon:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ford-plans-dramatic-reductions-product-complexity-exec-2023-04-05/

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

All they are talking about are consumer products...simplifying the packages and what not on products it makes sense to do so. Just as an example, the Escape has a couple different ST line trims which is stupid.

11 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

All they are talking about are consumer products...simplifying the packages and what not on products it makes sense to do so. Just as an example, the Escape has a couple different ST line trims which is stupid.

They’ve been saying this for years then they only make minor changes.    Escape trims are just stupid.

● EscapeBase(100A) AWD/FWD. 1.5
● EscapeActive(200A) AWD/FWD. 1.5/HEV
● EscapePHEV(700A) FWD PHEV
● EscapeST-Line(300A/301A) FWD/AWD 1.5/HEV
● EscapeST-LineSelect(400A/401A) AWD 2.0/HEV
● EscapeST-LineElite(500A/501A) AWD  2.0/HEV
● EscapePlatinum(600A/601A) AWD/FWD  2.0/HEV

I would cut it to this

● EscapeActive(200A) FWD. 1.5
● EscapeST-Line(300A/301A) FWD/AWD 1.5/2.0/HEV (2 trim levels)
● EscapePlatinum(600A) AWD/FWD  2.0/HEV

• Like 3

12 hours ago, akirby said:

They’ve been saying this for years then they only make minor changes.    Escape trims are just stupid.

● EscapeBase(100A) AWD/FWD. 1.5
● EscapeActive(200A) AWD/FWD. 1.5/HEV
● EscapeST-Line(300A/301A) FWD/AWD 1.5/HEV
● EscapeST-LineSelect(400A/401A) AWD 2.0/HEV
● EscapeST-LineElite(500A/501A) AWD  2.0/HEV
● EscapePlatinum(600A/601A) AWD/FWD  2.0/HEV

I would cut it to this

● EscapeActive(200A) FWD. 1.5
● EscapeST-Line(300A/301A) FWD/AWD 1.5/2.0/HEV (2 trim levels)
● EscapePlatinum(600A) AWD/FWD  2.0/HEV

That is ridiculous.  Why not dump the Escape altogether and build more Bronco Sports? 

Investors shouldn't be running a company. Ford brass should be. Ford Tractor and Class 8 L-series were both sold to increase shareholder value! It decreased!!! This is a must watch. And in my opinion he's 100 percent correct! 

(205) Ticked Off Vic: Wall Creek. If you watch this, you'll understand. - YouTube

Edited by Joe771476

On 4/6/2023 at 9:35 PM, 7Mary3 said:

That is ridiculous.  Why not dump the Escape altogether and build more Bronco Sports? 

Couple of reasons-

The Escape is bigger overall, has a hybrid and appeals to different customer then the Bronco Sport. 

Not everyone wants an Escape with an Otterbox case on it ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

Interesting video. Thanks for sharing. The 'Frame' channel uploader made a mistake in the description by saying that it was Toyota instead of Ford. lol

How are those grilles and side markings attached? Are they snapped in or are they using adhesive?