New Light & Medium Duty News

23 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

But I would have to assume the weight of the hydrogen tank

The hydrogen tanks are, as I understand it, usually made of composites (IIRC, there are/were some fuel cell vehicles which use(d) exchangeable cells to speed up refueling), so I wouldn’t expect them to be particularly heavy. Lithium-based batteries sized for vehicles are usually quite heavy, so I’d expect a fuel cell vehicle to have a significant weight advantage. 

2 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

The hydrogen tanks are, as I understand it, usually made of composites (IIRC, there are/were some fuel cell vehicles which use(d) exchangeable cells to speed up refueling), so I wouldn’t expect them to be particularly heavy. Lithium-based batteries sized for vehicles are usually quite heavy, so I’d expect a fuel cell vehicle to have a significant weight advantage. 

For reference only, below they compare new FCEV CR-V to PHEV and HEV.  It may help a little in judging fuel cell powertrain total vehicle weights.

“Honda explained that in conceiving the e:FCEV it borrowed as much as it can from the European-spec CR-V Plug-In Hybrid, including its thermally managed lithium-ion battery pack, its inverter, and its electric motor. In all, the plug-in fuel-cell version weighs essentially the same as the plug-in hybrid and about 500 pounds more than the CR-V Hybrid—likely around 4,300 pounds.“

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1142702_2025-honda-cr-v-efcev-test-drive-review

In case of Nikola truck, the Fuel Cell version still carries significant lithium battery capacity, plus weight of fuel cell and fuel tanks.  Given their history of being reprimanded for inaccurate weight claims, I’m not sure I’d take anything as correct unless it came directly from a scale.  Regardless, it would appear an FCEV should weigh close to a BEV variant, more or less, depending on BEV’s battery capacity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

THx..I guess I'm thinking they would be same as a CNG tank...A flammable gas