New Light & Medium Duty News

On 8/20/2019 at 8:15 AM, jpd80 said:

This is possible and I wonder if it signals a potential F700 with a class 8 variant add on like  F750 has now..

Class 8 is a whole-'nother-ballgame !

The only reason Ford got into Class 6 and Class 7 was that they had "in house" powertrains that helped the profit margin.

1 hour ago, theoldwizard said:

Class 8 is a whole-'nother-ballgame !

In the context of my discussion,

There is a version of F750 that technically fall into class 8 but it's like 7 to15 sales a month.

The only reason Ford got into Class 6 and Class 7 was that they had "in house" powertrains that helped the profit margin.

All I was suggesting was a consolidation of F650 and F750 to a new F700, much in the same way that the new F600

will be an extension of F550.......I have a feeling that the new F600 will take a lot of F650's current gas sales but,

in the end those buyers get to decide what trucks they do and don't want...

Edited by jpd80

23 hours ago, jpd80 said:

In the context of my discussion,

There is a version of F750 that technically fall into class 8 but it's like 7 to15 sales a month.

I did not realize that Class 8 "technically" starts a 33,001 lbs !  That must be why you see some Class 8 tractors with only one rear axle.

23 hours ago, jpd80 said:

All I was suggesting was a consolidation of F650 and F750 to a new F700, much in the same way that the new F600

will be an extension of F550.......I have a feeling that the new F600 will take a lot of F650's current gas sales but,

in the end those buyers get to decide what trucks they do and don't want...

Concur !

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Thanks 1

I did not realize that Class 8 "technically" starts a 33,001 lbs !  That must be why you see some Class 8 tractors with only one rear axle.

Concur !

The 750 is available with a 23,000 lb rear and up to a 14,000 lb  front axle which when equipped with correct tire ratings gives a GVW of 37,000 lbs.  By definition a class 8.  However, these  trucks do  not get reported as class 8 sales.  Likewise in the old days when GM was still building the 6500-8500 "mediums", they did the same thing-even offering tandem rears-but they never reported class 8 sales figures.

Anyone have any clue as to  how that "works"??  Vehicle has a plate that says it meets spec for class 8, but manufacturer does not report sale as a  class 8

As for single axle class 8 tractors, just a case of no need for tandem axles in a lot of applications as while GCW may be high, the combination doesn't scale out with typically more than 23,000 lbs on the drive axle.

• Thanks 1

I posted these a few pages back...

Ford Heavy and Medium Duty Sales for July 2019

Vehicle..........  07-19.....07-18........%........7Mth-19.....7Mth-18..........%
Class 4 ............ 1,820 ......2,457 ..–25.9........15,256 .......19,317 .........–21.0
Class 5 .............4,081 ......3,946 ......3.4 .......30,891 ........29,828 .............3.6
Class 6 ............ 2,672 ......2,005 ....33.3 .......14,994 ........12,015 ...........24.8
Class 7 ................205 ........185 .....10.8 .........1,263 .............966 ...........30.7
Class 8 ..................15 ............7 ...114.3 ..............74................72 .............2.8
Ford ................8,793 ....8,600 ......2.2 ......62,479 .......62,198 ............0.5

They do go to the effort of identifying Class 8 sales but I don't think Ford  would brag

about it as  it's just a combination of parts that puts the F750 as kind of an F800.

As discussed here over and over, you need +8  or 9 liters to be effective in CL 7 & 8

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

I posted these a few pages back...

Ford Heavy and Medium Duty Sales for July 2019

Vehicle..........  07-19.....07-18........%........7Mth-19.....7Mth-18..........%
Class 4 ............ 1,820 ......2,457 ..–25.9........15,256 .......19,317 .........–21.0
Class 5 .............4,081 ......3,946 ......3.4 .......30,891 ........29,828 .............3.6
Class 6 ............ 2,672 ......2,005 ....33.3 .......14,994 ........12,015 ...........24.8
Class 7 ................205 ........185 .....10.8 .........1,263 .............966 ...........30.7
Class 8 ..................15 ............7 ...114.3 ..............74................72 .............2.8
Ford ................8,793 ....8,600 ......2.2 ......62,479 .......62,198 ............0.5

They do go to the effort of identifying Class 8 sales but I don't think Ford  would brag

about it as  it's just a combination of parts that puts the F750 as kind of an F800.

As discussed here over and over, you need +8  or 9 liters to be effective in CL 7 & 8

JP  And the good news here is class 6 and 7 are posting better numbers vs. last year.

Still nothing to brag about but positiver in any case.  The 7.3 again will be a huge boost IMO.  And in particular if they make propane /cng more of a factory option.

Again we  can't hold our breath on a diesel /trans combo beyond Powerstroke/Torqueshift.

By the way, HDT does not post any class 8 figures  for Ford.

• Like 1

Hino news

Just one day after Hino Trucks held the grand opening of its new manufacturing facility in Mineral Wells, W.Va., it celebrated another milestone – the 20,000th truck delivery to Penske Truck Leasing (PTL). 

In a ceremony held at the plant to commemorate the delivery, members of Hino Trucks, including President and CEO Shigehiro Matsuoka were on hand as Hino Motors Ltd chairman Yoshio Shimo presented the key to the 20,000th truck to Roger Penske.

“Hino is an important supplier of trucks to our leasing and rental business”, said Penske Truck leasing Chairman Roger Penske.  “I am honored to accept delivery of the 20,000th truck produced by Hino in the United States on behalf of Penske Truck Leasing and would like to congratulate the entire team at Hino on the achievement of this significant milestone.”

The 20,000th truck is a 2020 model 268A a part of Hino’s line-up of Class 6 & Class 7 conventional trucks that have garnered an industry reputation for providing the lowest cost of ownership in its class.  Hino’s 268 model is specifically well suited for the lease and rental market segment where Hino has grown to 10% of the market. The 20,000th truck will be a part of Penske Truck Leasing’s commercial rental fleet.

“This has been a landmark week in the history of Hino Trucks. We have officially opened the doors of our new 1 million sq ft manufacturing plant, and are commemorating a milestone delivery to our longstanding partner Penske Truck Leasing. They continue to guide and support our growth in North America and we look forward to continuing to provide them with best in class trucks,” said Matsuoka.

Hino takes another big step.

With a new plant, those modest sales/leasing numbers will climb for sure, it's a real mark of confidence

to fund long term infrastructure and manufacturing facilities. I bet Penske has been instrumental in

showing Hino just how many potential customers are out there.

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Hino takes another big step.

With a new plant, those modest sales/leasing numbers will climb for sure, it's a real mark of confidence

to fund long term infrastructure and manufacturing facilities. I bet Penske has been instrumental in

showing Hino just how many potential customers are out there.

JP, No hard proof but I was told by someone who is often quoted in a lot of the fleet rags that Roger P has had something to do with the Hino distribution network.  Not surprising that he has 20,000 of them in service.  

Then again I have never heard anyone with direct experience have anything bad to say.  Again, as they are currently diesel only, the 7.3 should do a lot  to give Ford at least one edge over Hino.

4 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

JP, No hard proof but I was told by someone who is often quoted in a lot of the fleet rags that Roger P has had something to do with the Hino distribution network.  Not surprising that he has 20,000 of them in service.  

Then again I have never heard anyone with direct experience have anything bad to say.  Again, as they are currently diesel only, the 7.3 should do a lot  to give Ford at least one edge over Hino.

Hino = Heavy duty Toyota, they have good name internationally as reliable trucks.

Penske Truck Leasing is in all effect Hino's dealer network hiding in plain sight,

don't know if it's an exclusive deal but Penske should move to make sure it

remains that way...

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Hino = Heavy duty Toyota, they have good name internationally as reliable trucks.

Penske Truck Leasing is in all effect Hino's dealer network hiding in plain sight,

don't know if it's an exclusive deal but Penske should move to make sure it

remains that way...

Suspicions confirmed-thx  And Roger is not known for being involved in bad deals

• Like 1

We won't know for 12-24 months, but sales of Ford Class 6 and 7 will be "interesting" compared to previous years once the new powertrain is launched.  I keep hearing there is "pent up demand" for a large gas powertrain in Class 6 and 7.  We shall see !

Word in the RV industry is that the F53 will not get the new powertrain until spring of 2020, meaning they will be built as 2021MY units.  Anyone heard when the E-Series will launch the new powertrain?

We won't know for 12-24 months, but sales of Ford Class 6 and 7 will be "interesting" compared to previous years once the new powertrain is launched.  I keep hearing there is "pent up demand" for a large gas powertrain in Class 6 and 7.  We shall see !

Word in the RV industry is that the F53 will not get the new powertrain until spring of 2020, meaning they will be built as 2021MY units.  Anyone heard when the E-Series will launch the new powertrain?

Well, since the 6.8L V10 is going to be discontinued, I would say when the big hand hits the "S" and the little hand hits the "OON". Ford actually has four stripped chassis...F53 and F59 as well as E-350 DRW and E-450 DRW can both be had as a stripped chassis.

Edited by twintornados

2 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Bob, that dealer is at Newfield Street, Middletown CT.  I think it's Jukonski, but not sure.  They've been selling Hino and Isuzu for a while now.  Hey I saw a tandem axle Blue Diamond medium!

OK- I thought you were referring to a dealer that sold NEW Fords as well as the "imports".  Yes I see Junkowski's ads in TBG and the Post.  They frequently have have used 650/750 in their ads- I think sometimes these guys get auction trucks to offer more variety.  Then again I like to think that is where they came from rather than dissatisfied Ford owners who traded in for brand X.

Any "tandem" Bluediamond or OAP 650/750 you see is a tag/pusher axle not a live tandem.  My son sent me a shot the other day of an OAP 750 dump with about a 12' dump on it.  Paving company.  Popular idea as they typical don't need the benefits of a live tandem-just have to meet the weight laws and a tag axle lets them do that-as well as pick up some braking ability

• Like 1

9 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

The majority of F650 sales are in fact 6.8 V10s so it will be very interesting to see just how many of those customers

go to the lighter F550 based F600 (7.3 V8 + 10AT) versus stay with the improved F650/F750 (7.3 V8 6AT).

At present, Stripped chassis production is roughly 1,100 builds a month, so given that production of new

SD/MD begins in late November, then stripped chassis change over 3-4 months later is entirely believable.

Edited by jpd80

22 hours ago, twintornados said:

Well, since the 6.8L V10 is going to be discontinued, I would say when the big hand hits the "S" and the little hand hits the "OON". Ford actually has four stripped chassis...F53 and F59 as well as E-350 DRW and E-450 DRW can both be had as a stripped chassis.

I understand all of that, but I am wondering if the new powertrain will result in a serious sales jump.

I follow some RV forums and the IS a lot of "pent up demand" there for Class A and Class C chassis with the new engine and transmission but the word is that Class A manufacturers won't get any of the new combo until spring of 2020.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

I understand all of that, but I am wondering if the new powertrain will result in a serious sales jump.

It will because it's going into all Super Dutys as well as the Medium Dutys.

I follow some RV forums and the IS a lot of "pent up demand" there for Class A and Class C chassis with the new engine and transmission but the word is that Class A manufacturers won't get any of the new combo until spring of 2020.

Correct, production of 7.3 and new SDs isn't starting until November, they will need  3-4 months of dedicated 7.3 supplies

until Ford can think about supplying other manufacturers, plus there will be about 3 months supply of 6.8 V10s to use up.

Edited by jpd80

On 8/26/2019 at 7:39 AM, theoldwizard said:

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

It will because it's going into all Super Dutys as well as the Medium Dutys.

Correct, production of 7.3 and new SDs isn't starting until November, they will need  3-4 months of dedicated 7.3 supplies

until Ford can think about supplying other manufacturers, plus there will be about 3 months supply of 6.8 V10s to use up.

You both realize that the 6.2L will still be available in F250/F350....I do not know if 6.2L will be the "standard" engine in E-Series with 7.3L being optional or if Ford will make E-Series a "one engine choice" model only. 

4 hours ago, twintornados said:

You both realize that the 6.2L will still be available in F250/F350....I do not know if 6.2L will be the "standard" engine in E-Series with 7.3L being optional or if Ford will make E-Series a "one engine choice" model only. 

Yes, the only thing changing in E Series is 7.3 for 6.8, I expect the 6.2 to continues in current applications alongside the 7.3.

Not sure if F53 & F59 will be 7.3 only as in just replacing 6.8 or whether 6.2 will also be offered