New Light & Medium Duty News

14 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Thats wrong.  GM Wentzville still builds Express/Savanna passenger and cargo vans.  Cutaway van chassis production was farmed out some years ago to Navistar.  The Express/Savanna will be replaced by a full size BEV van in two years, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Navistar picks up production, at least on a limited basis.   

Well, it was an old article...and it did say "might". I guess they decided against it, but wait...did they send some versions to Navistar?? Or did it end when Traton took over...
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/06/gm-inks-deal-to-outsource-some-commercial-van-production-to-navistar/

Edited by twintornados

On 8/13/2022 at 3:32 AM, jpd80 said:

RMC has some more figures coming for July, your suspicion of F550 sales reduction due to F600 rebranding could be correct, the drop in YTD Class 5 sales kind of corresponds to the YTD sales of F600 (estimated split out). RMC’s charts are pretty neat and allow us to see stuff like that….a lot of those estimations are good detective work but I love the effort  he puts into sleuthing out  those figures.

For sure-great job.

• Like 1

I posted this shot before of a friends LTL.  At the time he owned 3 JD locations and in addition to this which he bought from one of his customers who bought it new an d used it to haul silage.  It was one of two tandem tractors he had.

Well he sold the business-the sad fact as to how dealerships are being acquired by Mega dealers-be they cars , trucks, construction eq. etc.  In any case he kept this to haul his toys-into tractor  pulls.  In any case, no matter where he goes he is stopped by guys who say..."Please take my phone number if you ever decide to sell it."

D8EBB36E-BEBE-42C9-ABA7-6123F9FE7FD7.heic

Bryan's LTL 9000.jpeg

• Thanks 2

No, sure haven't.  All I have heard so far is 2024 650/750 production starts 01/30/2023 and the order bank opens 11/14/2022, so we should hear all the details in a couple of months. 

I really liked the 6R140 Torq-Shift 6 speed, it's a good reliable heavy duty transmission.  

8 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

No, sure haven't.  All I have heard so far is 2024 650/750 production starts 01/30/2023 and the order bank opens 11/14/2022, so we should hear all the details in a couple of months. 

I really liked the 6R140 Torq-Shift 6 speed, it's a good reliable heavy duty transmission.  

And  wasn't 650/750 the only thing that was using it.?  If so I hope that wasn't the "driver" to  make the 10 spd. "work".....what always scared me was the 10 speed I believe does not weigh much more than the 6 speed.  Then again I'm old school..." 10 speeds has to have more components than a 6 speed...plus bigger case etc etc."

But like I said, they have to  have a ton of data on 10 speed failures given the number on the road so I would hope their confidence level is high and it is not just a perceived cost savings associated with parts commonality.

The 6R140 is currently in the E-series, 650/750, and F53 chassis models.  A big part of Farley's plan is to reduce the number of different ICE's and related major components to maximize 'Ford Blue' profits, so we may be seeing the beginning of the phaseout of the 6R140.

Keep in mind these new generation 10 speed automatics really do not have significatly more internal components than 6 or 8 speed transmissions.  All these new transmissions use compound planetary gear sets like the Ravigneaux type and adding 'gears' is sometimes just a matter of using what is already there in a different combination.  In normal use these 10 speeds very rarely shift through all 10 speeds sequentially, usually they skip around quite a bit for the most appropriate gear for load and speed.  In a sense it's a bit like the old 5X4's and Mack twin-stick's I know you are familiar with.

This a good video explaining how you can get so many different ratios out of a Ravigeaux planetary:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

It’s based on a heavy duty version of the ZF 6HP26 gearbox, so light/heavy versions should fit within similar housings. New base model single turbo  2.0 diesel Ranger has 6R80 auto, not sure if any other 6R versions still exist…

Edited by jpd80

On 9/5/2022 at 1:25 PM, 7Mary3 said:

The 6R140 is currently in the E-series, 650/750, and F53 chassis models.  A big part of Farley's plan is to reduce the number of different ICE's and related major components to maximize 'Ford Blue' profits, so we may be seeing the beginning of the phaseout of the 6R140.

Keep in mind these new generation 10 speed automatics really do not have significatly more internal components than 6 or 8 speed transmissions.  All these new transmissions use compound planetary gear sets like the Ravigneaux type and adding 'gears' is sometimes just a matter of using what is already there in a different combination.  In normal use these 10 speeds very rarely shift through all 10 speeds sequentially, usually they skip around quite a bit for the most appropriate gear for load and speed.  In a sense it's a bit like the old 5X4's and Mack twin-stick's I know you are familiar with.

This a good video explaining how you can get so many different ratios out of a Ravigeaux planetary:

thx for info-never heard of Ravigneaux before but plenty of info on the "net".  Planetary rear axles for sure but have the picture now

JP-  and what are the ratings on the ZF you mentioned??

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

thx for info-never heard of Ravigneaux before but plenty of info on the "net".  Planetary rear axles for sure but have the picture now

JP-  and what are the ratings on the ZF you mentioned??

6R80 is basically a copy of 6HP26 but with dampner

6HP19 is a lightweight version used 2.0 EB Falcon and 6HP32 is the heavy duty version of the 26 with with a bigger input shaft (6R140?)

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

6R80 is basically a copy of 6HP26 but with dampner

6HP19 is a lightweight version used 2.0 EB Falcon and 6HP32 is the heavy duty version of the 26 with with a bigger input shaft (6R140?)

So, the theory goes that as demand for the 6R140 drops off, Ford can just opt for a ZF built transmission instead of building it themselves.

34 minutes ago, twintornados said:

So, the theory goes that as demand for the 6R140 drops off, Ford can just opt for a ZF built transmission instead of building it themselves.

No because ZF stopped building the 6HP a few years ago when the 8HP became popular.

The 6Rs are low enough volume to be worthwhile to keep without having to do changes to the 10R.

Edited by jpd80

I don't know if I've posted these photos before, but I was at the dealership earlier and shot these photos of the Dealer Principal's Super Duty and horse trailer that travels all over the country and parts of Canada for Arabian competitions and shows. I don't remember what year this F-350 DRW Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab is. The trailer is 35' I believe. The "W.N. Ben Samir" reference is to the former U.S. National and World Champion Arabian that was purchased from Wayne Newton's ranch in Las Vegas as a wedding present to his wife. 

Sanford Farms_2022-09-07_01.jpg

Sanford Farms_2022-09-07_02.jpg

Sanford Farms_2022-09-07_03.jpg

Sanford Farms_2022-09-07_04.jpg

Sanford Farms_2022-09-07_05.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Driving by a post office the other day, I saw a strange vehicle.  So I drove into the lot -- it was a Sunday -- and Mercedes has snuck in a deal for a bunch of Metris vans. Right hand drive but small.  Supposedly it's an interim plan before the USPS gets the real replacement for the ubiquitous cube shaped LLV (long life vehicle) we've seen for decades. That vehicle was a smart design. Introduced around 1985, it had right-hand drive, aluminum body, mirrors covering every angle, all sliding doors so they don't stick out into traffic, and a turning circle of a dime all on a Chevy S10 engine/chassis.  It was pretty much bullet-proof for 30 years!  Yes they're having problems with them now, but an almost 40 year run ain't bad!  I can't seem to pin down the details of the supposed Ford/Oshkosh joint venture. Last article I've seen was in 2021.  Any design that doesn't meet the LLV specs is just a waste of money!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2022 at 7:29 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Heard that for MY 24, the 10 speed will be going into 650, 750 Power Strokes.  No clue why only Power Strokes- maybe an availability problem???  Guess they have enough 10 spd  experience in 550 to push it up to class 6, 7.

7m- you have a good network, any word?

I just saw on another forum talk of a new 10R180 transmission coming for the High Output 6.7L Powerstroke.  Maybe that transmission will go in the 650 and 750.

Production of the 2024 F-650 and 750 starts on 01/30/2023.

4 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I just saw on another forum talk of a new 10R180 transmission coming for the High Output 6.7L Powerstroke.  Maybe that transmission will go in the 650 and 750.

Production of the 2024 F-650 and 750 starts on 01/30/2023.

7m...Could be..my source said .."10- spd"  but no mention of an upgrade  to existing version...we should see an order guide pretty soon..

What did you think of Cannises presentation on the connectivity issue?  I was a skeptic thinking they had just very basic stuff but perhaps there sophistication is a bit better.

But the competition just gets tougher-in particular F'liner.

On 8/21/2022 at 10:43 AM, Bob Rosadini said:

I posted this shot before of a friends LTL.  At the time he owned 3 JD locations and in addition to this which he bought from one of his customers who bought it new an d used it to haul silage.  It was one of two tandem tractors he had.

Well he sold the business-the sad fact as to how dealerships are being acquired by Mega dealers-be they cars , trucks, construction eq. etc.  In any case he kept this to haul his toys-into tractor  pulls.  In any case, no matter where he goes he is stopped by guys who say..."Please take my phone number if you ever decide to sell it."

D8EBB36E-BEBE-42C9-ABA7-6123F9FE7FD7.heic

Bryan's LTL 9000.jpeg

Acquistions by mega companies is happening all over. Two boatyards in Portland CT have been here for several decades. I had been noticing over that period that perhaps hundreds of boats never seemed to move.  Well a company called Birdon that refurbishes Coast Guard vessels took them over and word has it they notified the boat owners to pay back storage and/or remove them.  Hardly anybody responded so they're being scrapped as I understand it!  Another example of waste.  There are boats being made right now in factories that eventually will be used infrequently and just gather dust in the end.

On 9/20/2022 at 11:41 PM, Joe771476 said:

Driving by a post office the other day, I saw a strange vehicle.  So I drove into the lot -- it was a Sunday -- and Mercedes has snuck in a deal for a bunch of Metris vans. Right hand drive but small.  Supposedly it's an interim plan before the USPS gets the real replacement for the ubiquitous cube shaped LLV (long life vehicle) we've seen for decades. That vehicle was a smart design. Introduced around 1985, it had right-hand drive, aluminum body, mirrors covering every angle, all sliding doors so they don't stick out into traffic, and a turning circle of a dime all on a Chevy S10 engine/chassis.  It was pretty much bullet-proof for 30 years!  Yes they're having problems with them now, but an almost 40 year run ain't bad!  I can't seem to pin down the details of the supposed Ford/Oshkosh joint venture. Last article I've seen was in 2021.  Any design that doesn't meet the LLV specs is just a waste of money!

Basically, Ford is supplying stripped chassis transit to Oshkosh who supply the body and final fit out. The contract was sent out for tender years ago before the full impact of electrification was understood. A stripped e Transit could theoretically be supplied if required…….