• Custom Search

BORG

2014 Ford Fusion Changes (adds 1.5L EcoBoost engine, Cooled Seats, Heated Wheel)

Mechanical:

1.5L EB I4 Engine with 6 speed Select Shift automatic - late availability

This will be optional on SE, the 2.5L I4 is still standard. The 1.6L EB will continue to be offered, but only with a manual transmission (note it's the only engine with a manual)

The 1.6L looses the automatic start-stop tech while the the 1.5L gets it

Safety: Rear inflatable Seat Belts

Exterior:

New Colors: Dark Side & Sunset

Colors Deleted: Bordeaux Reserve

Gingerale

Dune interior now available with Sterling Grey

Interior:

Available Heated Steering Wheel - Late Availability

Available Cooled Seats on Titanium and Hybrid Titanium- Late Availability

Functional:

Available Summer only Tire on SE Appearance and SE Luxury, and Titanium AWD (gas variants only)

Packages:

S Hybrid

Brick Red Premium Leather Package

Edited by BORG

It is strange that the 1.5L I4 has been "ignored" by Ford. What I mean is...it seems like Ford didn't give it much press or attention. I wonder why that is? Is the 1.6EB going to get a power boost to 190/200? Because the 1.5EB is rated only a few ponies less than the current rating of the 1.6 and I can't imagine most people caring if there is not a significant performance or fuel economy difference.

It is strange that the 1.5L I4 has been "ignored" by Ford. What I mean is...it seems like Ford didn't give it much press or attention. I wonder why that is? Is the 1.6EB going to get a power boost to 190/200? Because the 1.5EB is rated only a few ponies less than the current rating of the 1.6 and I can't imagine most people caring if there is not a significant performance or fuel economy difference.

It's launching later so it may see some sort of PR push when it does arrive, who knows.

Edited by BORG

Well, it says it's a late availability option, so there may be something up their sleeves in regards to differentiating it from the 1.6 somehow. Doesn't make much sense to me either to offer them both if the 1.6 is carrying over unchanged.

Ford unveils 1.5L EcoBoost engine in new Mondeo in China 4 April 2013

Ford unveiled the new, fifth-generation global Mondeo in China, the first Ford to be equipped with the new 1.5-liter EcoBoost engine. The new 3-cylinder, 1.5L EcoBoost is the fifth and latest member to join Ford’s global family of EcoBoost engines, which includes a 1.0-liter three-cylinder, 1.6- and 2.0-liter four-cylinders, and two 3.5-liter V6 variants.

Ford’s EcoBoost technology combines direct fuel injection, turbocharging and variable valve timing to enable a downsized engine to gain fuel economy by up to 20% over larger engines with no loss of performance. The 1.5-liter EcoBoost engine is projected to produce 132 kW (177 hp) of power at 6,000 rpm and peak torque of 240 N·m (177 lb-ft) from 1,500 to 4,500 rpm..."

I had no idea that the 1.5 is a three cylinder engine..

I had no idea that the 1.5 is a three cylinder engine..

Well that was the rumor when it was first shown off in another thread...and makes alot of sense with still offering the 1.6L I4 EB.

I'm looking at the 2014 Ford Fusion order guide and there are quite a few interesting changes to note.

Mechanical:

1.5L Engine with 6 speed Select Shift automatic - late availability

This will be optional on SE along with the 1.6L, the 2.5L I4 is still standard

The 1.6L looses the automatic start-stop tech while the the 1.5L gets it

Safety: Rear inflatable Seat Belts

Exterior:

New Colors: Dark Side & Sunset

Colors Deleted: Bordeaux Reserve

Gingerale

Dune interior now available with Sterling Grey

Interior:

Available Heated Steering Wheel - Late Availability

Available Cooled Seats on Titanium and Hybrid Titanium- Late Availability

Functional:

Available Summer only Tire on SE Appearance and SE Luxury, and Titanium AWD (gas variants only)

Packages:

S Hybrid

Brick Red Premium Leather Package

Late availability always means WAY out in the model year. The 1.5L was reported on the Mondeo for MY14. Can't say I'd pay more for a heated steering wheel. I do like the seat cooling for my assets though. I still wouldn't give up my MY13 for just that stuff and probably end up paying much more. Edited by Fastronaut

The cooled seats are a surprise...getting a bit more luxurious....

Well the Taurus Limited offers them also.

Nice to see the Red leather seats from the prototypes making an appearance also...

Surprised they are adding features to further lessen the difference between the Fusion and MKZ, especially the heated steering wheel which is currently only available on the highest trim MKZ. I wonder what changes we'll see on the 2014 MKZ.

Surprised they are adding features to further lessen the difference between the Fusion and MKZ, especially the heated steering wheel which is currently only available on the highest trim MKZ. I wonder what changes we'll see on the 2014 MKZ.

Well, I know the multi-contour seats will be appearing on the '14 MKZ, but those were supposed to be late availabilty in '13 already, so...

You have to remember that Ford is responding to its competition which are offering luxury car features, especially the heated steering wheel.

Man, I'm glad I waited. 2014 here I come. I just wish I could see those two new colors.

Also interested if the 1.6 gets a power bump. Seems like the manual option made the cut still.

Any way you can attach the PDF here?

It's a confidential document, I'd prefer no to. My apologies!

It's a confidential document, I'd prefer no to. My apologies!

No worries, thanks! Is it available to the dealers or not yet?

No worries, thanks! Is it available to the dealers or not yet?

I don't know actually, it's still in draft form (at least the version I have). Dated February.

Any word on HID options? I'm assuming you would have mentioned that if they were added.

No HIDs mentioned in the order guide, so I'd assume not. And I believe, if anything, they would be LED headlights because that's what the Mondeo is doing in Europe. Essentially, they are the same headlights used on the MKZ.

Edited by BORG

If indeed the 1.5 EB is an enlargement of the 1.0 I-3 EB it will be around 100 lbs lighter than the lightest of the I-4 engines.

The idea here is to equal the performance of the 2.5 I-4 but deliver significantly better fuel economy.

Edited by jpd80

The idea here is to equal the performance of the 2.5 I-4 but deliver significantly better fuel economy.

Well that can be a mixed bag in real world....

This is going to be the problem. To raise the bar on the MKZ with more standard features, they're going to have to up the price. The brand doesn't have the cachet to do that just yet.

Is there a link to the order guide?

Borg just threw us some info. Its a confidential document that hasn't been released yet. I'm hoping we see the official one soon.