Why does the MKZ Trunk not lock when Key Fob is not present

Morning Gang; for those of you with cars, could you try something for me please.

I noticed that the trunk release that is embedded in the car body right above where the license plate goes allows for you to open the trunk with out the key fob being anywhere near the car.

I was just able to open my trunk, and while the car was locked I pressed the trunk release without the key fob present and the trunk opened right up?

Thoughts??

Come on Serraph your the king of the owners manual.... ROFL!

Morning Gang; for those of you with cars, could you try something for me please.

I noticed that the trunk release that is embedded in the car body right above where the license plate goes allows for you to open the trunk with out the key fob being anywhere near the car.

I was just able to open my trunk, and while the car was locked I pressed the trunk release without the key fob present and the trunk opened right up?

Thoughts??

Come on Serraph your the king of the owners manual.... ROFL!

lol you probably didn't lock the vehicle. Just a thought :P

Ok I locked the car, placed the key FOB inside the house. The trunk does not open. So doing the opposite. Unlocked all doors, placed key FOB inside house, the trunk does open. So my only guess is you forgot to lock the car.

Edited by Serraph

lol you probably didn't lock the vehicle. Just a thought :P

Ok I locked the car, placed the key FOB inside the house. The trunk does not open. So doing the opposite. Unlocked all doors, placed key FOB inside house, the trunk does open. So my only guess is you forgot to lock the car.

Ok, perhaps but doesn't the car automatically lock after a few minutes?

Ok, perhaps but doesn't the car automatically lock after a few minutes?

Ding! Ding!

Nope. That's not what autolock means. It only locks if you lock it by pressing the button inside, pressing the lock button on the remote or touching the top of the door handle.

Have you been leaving your car unlocked all this time?

Ding! Ding!

Nope. That's not what autolock means. It only locks if you lock it by pressing the button inside, pressing the lock button on the remote or touching the top of the door handle.

Have you been leaving your car unlocked all this time?

Autolock only works when:

all doors are closed

the ignition is on

you shif into any gear putting your vehicle in motion, and

your vehicle attains a speed of greater than 12mph

I held my keyfob at arm's length from my trunk and it would not open. It only has a range of about 2 feet from the door/trunk.

Exactly its about 3ft from what I've read but that's the idea. I don't know about Carguy being able to open the trunk and car while his keyfob is in the house in the den. I think it's the same situation as Tanner, they both forgot to lock their cars thats why they are able to open it without a keyfob nearby.

Autolock only works when:

all doors are closed

the ignition is on

you shif into any gear putting your vehicle in motion, and

your vehicle attains a speed of greater than 12mph

I know. I was talking about how the keyfob works, not how autolock works. Sorry.

Be careful if you leave your key fob in the car, the car will lock you out and the only way in is the unlock door code.

Shouldn't be the case.

If it is like my Edge, the horn will honk twice and the door will automatically unlock if you try to lock the doors and close it with the fob still inside.

There is a code you can use on the keypad to force a lock of the doors with the fob inside. It should be entering the code and pressing the last two digits simultaneously. I use this feature a lot when I take my car to the park to run and don't want to carry my keys with me.

Edited by NickF1011

What Nick said. You can't accidentally lock the fob in the car - it won't let you.

Ah, but it does. Try it and see. At least the way id did for me was if I leave the key in the car and use the last 2 code #'s on the door to lock the car. Maybe it thinks that if you lock with the code you can unlock with the code, but it definitely locked my key fob in the car.

Ah, but it does. Try it and see. At least the way id did for me was if I leave the key in the car and use the last 2 code #'s on the door to lock the car. Maybe it thinks that if you lock with the code you can unlock with the code, but it definitely locked my key fob in the car.

If you put the fob inside the car, hit the lock button on the door and try to close the door, the door will automatically unlock when it closes.

If you use the code to lock the door after closing it, of course it will let you. That's kind of the point of it. Otherwise, you could just touch the door handle to lock it instead if you had the fob on you.

Of course, all of this assumes we are talking about the Intelligent Access keyfob, right? Isn't that standard on the MKZ now? The basic keyless entry remote doesn't have a proximity sensor in it, so the car won't care one way or another where it is when you lock it.

Edited by NickF1011

That's not accidental - you're locking the fob in the car on purpose by using the keypad. This disables the Fob from starting the car until the keypad is used to unlock it. That's how the feature is implemented.

Leave one Fob in the car then try to lock it by touching the door handle with the other fob. It won't work. It honks the horn twice to let you know it can't lock the vehicle.

RTFM.