Why No 19 Inch Wheel Option Fusion Hybrid Ti

CocoaBob

I sure wish the Fusion Hybrid Ti had the Dark Stainless Painted H Spoke Wheels as an option for the wifes Ruby Red we have on order.

Does anyone know why a 19 inch wheel is not an option for the FHTi? Is it because of a "Green TIre" is not available in 19 inch or what?

Akirby,

Weight and fuel economy......Hmm.... Hadn't really considered the additional half pound would have such a large effect on the rolling resistance of a "green tire" vs. a lower profile quasi performance tire. Which would be probably the same over all weight when all is said and done.

You're probably on the right track though.

I Wish the wifes Hybrid Ti would come with the rear facia your Ti has.

Cheers, and thanks for the input.

CocoaBob

Edited by CocoaBob

It's the wheel weight plus the wider contact patch plus the non-LRR tire plus aerodynamics. I've heard it can reduce fuel economy by 2-3 mpg. I lost 2 mpg just by changing tires on my non hybrid 06 Fusion.

Edited by akirby

• 7 months later...

I sure wish the Fusion Hybrid Ti had the Dark Stainless Painted H Spoke Wheels as an option for the wifes Ruby Red we have on order.

Does anyone know why a 19 inch wheel is not an option for the FHTi? Is it because of a "Green TIre" is not available in 19 inch or what?

It's because big wheels are STUPID.

rides-green-mustang-rims-30-inch-donk-fe

Or see above poster for more examples.

Edited by probowler

Guys, there are 18, 19, and even 20" wheels of the same width as the stock 17" and Low Rolling Resistance tires available for each. Yes, the entire package may weigh as much as 5 pounds more per wheel, but they can still be somewhat efficient. I am fairly confident that Ford does not offer larger LRR wheel/tire combinations because it is un-economical to make them available options and no matter what they would still be a compromise in fuel economy.

If you are interested in buying after-market wheels (can you find a buyer for your gently used stock wheels and tires?) go to the tirerack.com They recognize the Fusion Energi as a discreet model and offer larger wheel and tire packages, even LRR tires. There is also a feature on their website which allows you to view a picture of a Fusion (in your actual factory color) with whatever wheel/tire combinations you are considering, so you can see what they would look like on your vehicle BEFORE you make a purchase decision.

Seriously, if your over 30 years of age, who in their right mind would want to put those ridiculous over size Wheels with (low-profile) Tires on a PassengerVehicle unless your were also accessorizing yourself with lots of "Bling" and a Gold Grill to boot? Wait until its time to replace a (bent wheel) or worn tires and be prepared to pay more for their replacement then the Car is worth because the Owner is no doubt "upside-down" on his Car Loan already!

Edited by phil1336

Seriously, if your over 30 years of age, who in their right mind would want to put those ridiculous over size Wheels with (low-profile) Tires on a PassengerVehicle unless your were also accessorizing yourself with lots of "Bling" and a Gold Grill to boot? Wait until its time to replace a (bent wheel) or worn tires and be prepared to pay more for their replacement then the Car is worth because the Owner is no doubt "upside-down" on his Car Loan already!

I have 22" wheels on my Edge. I must be out of my mind.

I've also not yet bent a wheel. I've bought replacement tires (which were cheaper than the 18" tires on my Mustang). I'm not upside down on my car in the least. And I certainly don't have a "grill".

Edited by NickF1011

I have 22" wheels on my Edge. I must be out of my mind.

I've also not yet bent a wheel. I've bought replacement tires (which were cheaper than the 18" tires on my Mustang). I'm not upside down on my car in the least. And I certainly don't have a "grill".

I apologize and accept the fact there are always exceptions to what would normally be considered reasonable assumptions. My experience has always been that going above 16`` in Tires, all things considered, Speed Rating, Temperature Rating, Expected Mileage, the larger the Tire, 17``, 18``, 19", 20", 21",and of course (your) 22" size Wheels and Tires are progressively more expensive to replace (unless) of course your have the "Drive Flat" features that come standard of BMW`s, Toyota Sienna`s, etc. Please explain exactly what kind of 18" Tire on a Mustang was more expensive then a 22" Tire was on your Edge?

I apologize and accept the fact there are always exceptions to what would normally be considered reasonable assumptions. My experience has always been that going above 16`` in Tires, all things considered, Speed Rating, Temperature Rating, Expected Mileage, the larger the Tire, 17``, 18``, 19", 20", 21",and of course (your) 22" size Wheels and Tires are progressively more expensive to replace (unless) of course your have the "Drive Flat" features that come standard of BMW`s, Toyota Sienna`s, etc. Please explain exactly what kind of 18" Tire on a Mustang was more expensive then a 22" Tire was on your Edge?

Well, having staggered sizes on the Mustang don't help its cause. The fronts are 255/40/18 ($313/each) and the rears are 295/35/18 ($391/each), Bridgestone Potenza SO2's. They weren't quite that expensive when I got them and I likely won't get them again based on the price increase they've seen lately, but they were still pretty pricy 4-5 years ago (I think I paid around $275 for the fronts and $315 for the rears).

With more and more vehicles coming with large wheels now though, the prices on large diameter tires really have gone down a lot. 7-8 years ago, yeah, I probably wouldn't have considered something with 22" wheels since tires for them at the time were running north of $400 each. Replacements for my Edge now (265/40/22 Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetricos) are $269/each -- quite reasonable in my opinion.

(All prices from Tire Rack)

Edited by NickF1011

Well, having staggered sizes on the Mustang don't help its cause. The fronts are 255/40/18 ($313/each) and the rears are 295/35/18 ($391/each), Bridgestone Potenza SO2's. They weren't quite that expensive when I got them and I likely won't get them again based on the price increase they've seen lately, but they were still pretty pricy 4-5 years ago (I think I paid around $275 for the fronts and $315 for the rears).

With more and more vehicles coming with large wheels now though, the prices on large diameter tires really have gone down a lot. 7-8 years ago, yeah, I probably wouldn't have considered something with 22" wheels since tires for them at the time were running north of $400 each. Replacements for my Edge now (265/40/22 Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetricos) are $269/each -- quite reasonable in my opinion.

(All prices from Tire Rack)

Guess I`m in for Tire Shock the next time I need to replace a Set of 4 Tires! I just traded in my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback for a 2013 Ford C-Max SE Hybrid. 6 months before I traded the Fiesta in, I purchased a Set of (4) Tires "Hercules" with identical OEM Ratings for a cost of $320 "out the door" Tax, Mounted, Tire Stems, Balanced! Cash deal but still.........

Guess I`m in for Tire Shock the next time I need to replace a Set of 4 Tires! I just traded in my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback for a 2013 Ford C-Max SE Hybrid. 6 months before I traded the Fiesta in, I purchased a Set of (4) Tires "Hercules" with identical OEM Ratings for a cost of $320 "out the door" Tax, Mounted, Tire Stems, Balanced! Cash deal but still.........

Hercules? Never heard of them until now. But the Fiesta had what, 15" wheels??

I think you're stuck in a time warp a little bit. My car (09 Fusion--last model year of the very first design) came with 17". My OEMs lasted 75k miles (Bridgestone Pilot HX). After I replaced those with Conti ContiPros that didn't last nearly as long as they should have, I just replaced those with Bridgestone Ecopias. They ran $205 mounted/balanced. And those were pretty reasonable. The only way you go cheaper is with the off-brand (i.e. Hercules). A lot of times those off-brands are actually manufactured by one of the big tire companies.

The bottom line is there's nothing AT ALL unusual certainly about 17/18/19 and nearly every mid-size or above or utility or pickup either comes with 20's standard or as an easily chosen option. Your original post also smacks of underlying bias...and you know it. I guess it sucks when you throw out a stereotype and along comes boring old, highly respectable Nick with 22s on an Edge.

At least you get SOME choice. Energi's get any size and style you want as long as it is the one 17" style they offer... Should be able to plus one them and stay with a few % of the originals. I can definitely get lighter wheels of the same size. I'm getting 95 mpge so I would mind losing 2-3 mpg to look oh so much better.