47/47 WHAT'S MY ODDS?

Patience

I have not gotten my HyTi yet but have been reading posts about optimum gas mileage. I was wondering if you had only one or two tips for getting your best mpg, what would they be? (I am aware there are many factors affecting mpg but looking for basic tips) I am going to need help!

Thanks!

The most important thing you can do to improve your fuel economy is to drive downhill. Do that all the time, and you will for sure have a winner! :)

On a serious note, follow these 3 rules:

1. Slow Down!
  2. Keep your tires inflated properly
  3. Don't carry any excess weight in your car
  • Like 3

Depends on a lot of factors driving style; weather; speed limits; driving conditions.

But check out the fordfusionhybridforum there are a lot of great tips on how you can improve your gas mileage.

But I agree with the previous post most important slow down; drive very constant and use the ECO cruise control as much as possible. If your are traveling highway keep it above 63 MPH if the speed limit allows that seems to return the best mileage since the HVB stays charged and the ICE only needs to propel the car.

Most importantly enjoy the ride its way too nice than too worry about 2, 3 miles more per gallon. I just drove from Chicago to LA and I would guess I averaged around 38 MPG on this trip. Which I consider pretty good even being so far away from EPA estimate because the EPA test cycle has almost nothing to do with real world driving. And for the record the more mixed driving you do the closer you get to EPA.

Here is one example from this morning in LA morning traffic.

14437619-CF9D-4F2B-8ADE-F3DBF0ECCEC5-464

• Like 1

I have found that the best mileage is gotten by using the power gauge on the Empower display.

When driving with the ICE, accelerate to the second tick mark on the power gauge and keep it there until you reach your desired speed, then release the gas pedal until the EV turns on, then slowly accelerate again while keeping the power within the EV blue box.

This is the "pump and glide" technique to get you to speed on ICE and then coast on EV.

On my car, the ICE performs about about 20-22 mpg, based on the readings on my Trip odometer after a fill-up. When total miles vs gas used is calculated, the mpg is around 36-37, but when EV miles are subtracted, the ICE mpg is about 22.

So, use the ICE to get to speed, and then maximize the use of the EV.

Depends on a lot of factors driving style; weather; speed limits; driving conditions.

But check out the fordfusionhybridforum there are a lot of great tips on how you can improve your gas mileage.

But I agree with the previous post most important slow down; drive very constant and use the ECO cruise control as much as possible. If your are traveling highway keep it above 63 MPH if the speed limit allows that seems to return the best mileage since the HVB stays charged and the ICE only needs to propel the car.

Most importantly enjoy the ride its way too nice than too worry about 2, 3 miles more per gallon. I just drove from Chicago to LA and I would guess I averaged around 38 MPG on this trip. Which I consider pretty good even being so far away from EPA estimate because the EPA test cycle has almost nothing to do with real world driving. And for the record the more mixed driving you do the closer you get to EPA.

Here is one example from this morning in LA morning traffic. [img=http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y424/corncobs/14437619-CF9D-4F2B-8ADE-F3DBF0ECCEC5-4647-0000032103BF154B_zps1597246e.jpg]

I have been reading the FFHF and there is so much information there...it was hard for me to take it all...

that is why I asked for a couple basic tips.. . When I actually get my car I will try to sort it out then. I do appreciate your advice! I have trouble with my "lead foot"! I will have to work on that!

I have not gotten my HyTi yet but have been reading posts about optimum gas mileage. I was wondering if you had only one or two tips for getting your best mpg, what would they be? (I am aware there are many factors affecting mpg but looking for basic tips) I am going to need help!

Thanks!

It's all about learning what works to get the best MPG for your vehicle and keep repeating it day after day. I find that everything that improves MPG doesn't come in using one or two techniques, but a combination of many techniques. For instance, coasting starts with high tire pressure (max sidewall or higher), but if you want to keep the factory recommendation of 35psi, forget coasting. If you try higher tire pressure and find it improves your MPG, then start learning when and how to coast. Coasting below 40mph in EV in neutral is more efficient than coasting in Drive below 40mph. Coasting above 40mph in neutral drains the HV battery quicker because you eliminate regen (charging the battery).

If your hybrid is not a plug-in hybrid, you better start leaning battery management real fast. I find that a quick tap on the accelerator to start the engine and moderately accelerating under engine power to a steady state speed much more efficient than burning up battery juice in EV accelerating. So don't accelerate using the battery because you're going need to run the engine to recharge the battery. When I say accelerate moderately with the engine, keep in mind you want the generator to be in the charging mode and not burning battery juice with the traction motor Assist for that power.

If you want more advanced Hypermiler training, go to http://www.cleanmpg.com/ and start reading and asking questions. The first article there that I recommend reading is: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510

I find that a quick tap on the accelerator to start the engine and moderately accelerating under engine power to a steady state speed much more efficient than burning up battery juice in EV accelerating. So don't accelerate using the battery because you're going need to run the engine to recharge the battery. When I say accelerate moderately with the engine, keep in mind you want the generator to be in the charging mode and not burning battery juice with the traction motor Assist for that power.

Great info there! So when you say accelerate with the ICE, do you mean from the beginning or let the battery get the car moving in EV up to 10-15 MPH, then turn on the ICE? I find it pretty easy to get going in EV, but can't easily get up to 45-50 in EV (and I don't try too often). Also, when you accelerate with the ICE, is it better to accelerate faster and get up to cruising speed quicker, or really slow? Do you try and keep the RPMs under 2k or not?

BTW, do you have a 2013 FFH?

Edited by neod192

Great info there! So when you say accelerate with the ICE, do you mean from the beginning or let the battery get the car moving in EV up to 10-15 MPH, then turn on the ICE? I find it pretty easy to get going in EV, but can't easily get up to 45-50 in EV (and I don't try too often). Also, when you accelerate with the ICE, is it better to accelerate faster and get up to cruising speed quicker, or really slow? Do you try and keep the RPMs under 2k or not?

BTW, do you have a 2013 FFH?

Thanks, I mean anytime you accelerate more than 2-3mph, do it with the engine and save the battery for steady state speeds in EV. Keeping the engine under 2K during acceleration works in my '09 FEH with the Atkinson 2.5L, and I can still stay out of Assist and be charging the battery with the generator with a moderate acceleration speed with most traffic. The key is to build a higher charge while accelerating with the engine running. From a stop, on a On Ramp or anytime you need to speed up more than 2-3mph, use the engine. One important trick we found with starting the engine is to hit the accelerator with a tap that will just start the engine. If you just press on the accelerator, the computers cause the traction motor to kick in for a smooth transition from EV to ICE on. This really drains the battery when you transition from EV to ICE on. Saving as much of the battery charge will increase your MPG big time. Using these techniques and others combined has got me a 65mpg tank using 13.6 gallons of E10 and going 884 miles on a single tank of gas.

I do not own a '13 FFH or would buy any newer Ford Hybrid than my '09 FEH.because Ford went to an electric A/C compressor after the belt driven compressor in my '09 FEH. Most likely I will get either a FFH or C-Max plug-in and use all of my hypermiling skills to push a record Lifetime MPGe in those vehicles. The Energi can handle an electric A/C compressor, so that should not be a problem.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was concerned by the Consumer Reports story, and some of the online complaining.

I am still waiting for my HyTi... But when I drove an SE for a test drive, I was able to get it to 48 MPG split between even amounts of city and highway driving. And I've never driven a hybrid before.

Hope to pull the same when I get my car.

I was concerned by the Consumer Reports story, and some of the online complaining. I am still waiting for my HyTi... But when I drove an SE for a test drive, I was able to get it to 48 MPG split between even amounts of city and highway driving. And I've never driven a hybrid before. Hope to pull the same when I get my car.

Based on your test drive results you probably will. We got about 46 MPG when doing a 80 mile or so test drive last October before we ordered our car and in similar weather now we're seeing 50 MPG because now we know how to drive better to maximize the efficiency of the FFH. Over time we've really learned how the computer is programmed in the FFH and now I try to use that knowledge to my advantage because I can see the upcoming road conditions and manipulate how I drive to make the computer do what I want. This leads to maximum MPGs

This thread at the FFH Forum has some good links to information that you might find very helpful

Highway I get about 43mpg driving between 70 and 80mph. This i with no ac, windows slightly open. AC drops me 1-2 mpg depending. Now my highway is a ton of hills/mountains so take that into account. If I just drive it without caring about mileage it will get 39-40. Around town I usually get AT LEAST 47mpg. Average tank I get 44-45 with more highway than city driving. Expect in winter to lose 10-15% minimum for winter gas and temps.

-K

• Like 1

47/47 is unrealistic for most people in the real world. Everybody's commutes are different, and that plays a big part in the mileage you will get. There are other factors such as terrain, weather, trip length, etc, and they all play a role. That being said, the car is capable of delivering great city mileage. Highway mileage, it is really not possible to come close to the 47 unless you are willing to drive at 60 MPH, and then you might come close.

Look, surprisingly getting EPA estimates is easy- IF YOU DO ENOUGH DRIVING IN EV MODE. Just like less talking is sometimes better, less driving with the gas on is always better! The first 3 days I had my fusion I was so happy to see 50.9 MPG after a trip. I was so happy. Then today I got 57 MPG! Highest ever..and to think I could of gotten higher than that if I just slowed down a little on the street.

Plain and simple if you try and drive up to the speed limit then coast and feather the accelerator you'll get in the 40s easily...In fact you have to be a bad hybrid driver to get in the 30s or just not care...either way. But if you try to drive good..you'll get anywhere from 40-44 MPG...and if you really try you'll get EPA estimates...and if you're really good and willing to drive a little slower than the posted speed limit (and deal with the anxiety, stress, and patience of letting others forced to pull around you (yes its hard..makes you feel like you're doing something wrong)) then you can get in the 50s easily.

In the end it all boils down to how much gas you want to save. If you care about yourself and your car. You'll love this car and how well it treats you. If you love to speed and want to not piss other people off then you'll complain about MPG. It's really that simple. Do yourself a favor and drive for you. They don't own the road and can pass you if they need to. Thats why most streets have more than one lane :)

• Like 3

I can get 45 MPG on my drive to work, but that drive is 3.5 miles in a slight downgrade.

The problem is that the road is a slight upgrade to go home, and I only get 25 MPG on the reverse trip.

Today I turned on the car to back out of a parking space that I was too close to the line in, and pulled forward again to park better. That trip as all EV and showed 999.9 MPG!

Here is the weird thing I learned about my fusion. I'm posting this because I'm surprised a number of you- if not all are getting poor MPG because an incline or mountain or steep upgrade is on your route so you use more gas. I live in an area where it's completely flat..like...unnaturally flat if you ask me...not a hill or like..bump in sight...like flat for MILES in every direction...perfect for farmland around here...but if you want to head towards los angeles you have to go through the mountains and there are steep, if not lengthy climbs of about a few several miles before it flats out a bit as you drive through the mountains valley.

Simply put my car hates to use gas. It will not if it doesn't want to..Junior is one hell of a fusion hybrid titanium. I did a long distanced trip of about 200+ miles round trip and I got 45 MPG on the to trip and around 44.9 MPG on the return trip. Nothing but highway just about with high way speeds always being either 62 MPH or 65 MPH. Never anything greater than that or less then that unless adaptive was kicking in or in slow moving traffic in which i was going all electric anyway. So here is why I think my fusion hybrid is a saint.

1. It forces itself to stay in EV mode during long steep climbs. The first time this happened I was shocked. Since you dont have to change gears it just did what it had to do automatically keep my preset cruise control speed but the entire climb it never left EV mode. It was hard-bent on using every last drop of EV it had to to keep from switching to gas. It was almost like an EV+ mode for on the road. I've gone through this way 4 times and there is a steep climb for miles in each direction leading into the mountains and i've never used a drop of gas any of those 4 times it made the climb. It stayed in EV mode..and I think that leads to me getting exceptional MPG overall when the trips done. So when you guys say you go on mountains and get in the 20s...I don't know why...the car (at least mine) is made to not use gas going up hill..it senses the climb and is empowered to use electricity up and keep the engine off. And you know something else thats weird...even though the engines working harder to push it up hill my EV range lasts LONGER when its forcing itself to climb in EV than when its going on a normal level street or highway! Lol..WTF? Lol..More hills please!!

2. My car rarely (but enough) finds "Equilibrium". This is a state my car doesn't always get into..but at least 5 times during my trip it has. I call it equlibrium because its as if after miles of driving the Fusion hybrid finds itself one with the road where it not only stays in EV mode but keeps itself in EV mode as if energy freely flows into it from the environment keeping it from ever needing gas to charge itself while driving. When this first happened I was so surprised and i couldnt understand how the physics was doing it but basically I call "equilibrium" the point when the Fusion Hybrid does several things at one time that makes driving a hybrid fusion probably better than any other hybrid on the road. (1) It drives in EV mode with the gas engine off and is as silent as a bicycle, (2) it keeps itself in EV mode AND recharges its battery to full WITHOUT USING GAS, and (3) once the battery icon is fully blue it drives itself (62-65 MPH) without using gas to charge the battery, without the battery meter ever going down, and stays in EV mode until it no longer "one with itself" LOL. Sounds weird doesnt it? But can you imagine driving a hybrid that not only accelerates itself to full speed, but does it all in EV mode AND charges itself without using gas WHILE its using energy to drive and power accessories? That's what my car has done 5 times during my trip. The maxmimum time this has happened is probably 5-7 minutes. When the car finds this balance with itself it goes into EV mode, uses electriciity to charge itself while driving and then just drives on free energy it must be generating after its batteries are full. The only time i know its out of this special state is when 5-7 minutes pass of driving in this state and then the lower arrow starts showing the battery is now being used. Then it will stay in EV mode until its time to use the gas and acts like a normal hybrid again.

These 2 occurrences make me soooo happy i purchased a hybrid and a ford hybrid at that! This car is really smart and really efficient. My highest MPG on a 8 mile trip was 67 MPG and it was just a flat trip no hills or anything...a usual trip i normally get in the 40s/50s on...but because i drove extra careful and tried to stay in EV i made nearly 70 MPG on a trip that usually nets me just under 50 MPG. So yes, when i drive on hills...i dont use gas...and when conditions are just right my car not only cruises in EV, but can charge itself in EV and maintain a full battery for around 5-7 minutes before losing its mojo. So to anyone wondering if this is an amazing car. Don't just test drive one..buy one for yourself and see what it can do for you! Lol...just thought i'd throw a sales pitch in there in the end, but seriously! BUY ONE!

Edited by Powered By Fusion

Here is the weird thing I learned about my fusion. I'm posting this because I'm surprised a number of you- if not all are getting poor MPG because an incline or mountain or steep upgrade is on your route so you use more gas. I live in an area where it's completely flat..like...unnaturally flat if you ask me...not a hill or like..bump in sight...like flat for MILES in every direction...perfect for farmland around here...but if you want to head towards loss angeles you have to go through the mountains and there are steep, if not lengthy climbs of about a few several miles before it flats out a bit as you drive through the mountains valley.

Simply put my car hates to use gas. It will not if it doesn't want to..Junior is one hell of a fusion hybrid titanium. I did a long distanced trip of about 200+ miles round trip and I got 45 MPG on the to trip and around 44.9 MPG on the return trip. Nothing but highway just about with high way speeds always being either 62 MPH or 65 MPH. Never anything greater than that or less then that unless adaptive was kicking in or in slow moving traffic in which i was going all electric anyway. So here is why I think my fusion hybrid is a saint.

1. It forces itself to stay in EV mode during long steep climbs. The first time this happened I was shocked. Since you dont have to change gears it just did what it had to to automatically keep my preset cruise control speed but the entire climb it never left EV mode. It was hard-bent on using every last drop of EV it had to to keep from switching to gas. It was almost like an EV+ mode for on the road. I've gone through this way 4 times and there is a steep climb for miles in each direction leading into the mountains and i've never used a drop of gas any of those 4 times it made the climb. It stayed in EV mode..and I think that leads to me getting exceptional MPG overall when the trips done. So when you guys say you go on mountains and get in the 20s...I don't know why...the car (at least mine) is made to not use gas going up hill..it senses the climb and is empowered to use electricity up and keep the engine off. And you know something else thats weird...even though the engines working harder to push it up hill my EV range lasts LONGER when its forcing itself to climb in EV than when its going on a normal level street or highway! Lol..WTF? Lol..More hills please!!

2. My car rarely (but enough) finds "Equilibrium". This is a state my car doesn't always get into..but at least 5 times during my trip it has. I call it equlibrium because its as if after miles of driving the Fusion hybrid finds itself one with the road where it not only stays in EV mode but keeps itself in EV mode as if energy freely flows into it from the environment keeping it from ever needing gas to charge itself while driving. When this first happened I was so surprised and i couldnt understand how the physics was doing it but basically I call "equilibrium" the point when the Fusion Hybrid does several things at one time that makes driving a hybrid fusion probably better than any other hybrid on the road. (1) It drives in EV mode with the gas engine off and is as silent as a bicycle, (2) it keeps itself in EV mode AND recharges its battery to full WITHOUT USING GAS, and (3) once the battery icon is fully blue it drives itself (62-65 MPH) without using gas to charge the battery, without the battery meter ever going down, and stays in EV mode until it no longer "one with itself" LOL. Sounds weird doesnt it? But can you imagine driving a hybrid that not only accelerates itself to full speed, but does it all in EV mode AND charges itself without using gas WHILE its using energy to drive and power accessories? That's what my car has done 5 times during my trip. The maxmimum time this has happened is probably 5-7 minutes. When the car finds this balance with itself it goes into EV mode, uses electriciity to charge itself while driving and then just drives on free energy it must be generating after its batteries are full. The only time i know its out of this special state is when 5-7 minutes pass of driving in this state and then the lower arrow starts showing the battery is now being used. Then it will stay in EV mode until its time to use the gas and acts like a normal hybrid again.

These 2 occurrences make me soooo happy i purchased a hybrid and a ford hybrid at that! This car is really smart and really efficient. My highest MPG on a 8 mile trip was 67 MPG and it was just a flat trip no hills or anything...a usual trip i normally get in the 40s/50s on...but because i drove extra careful and tried to stay in EV i made nearly 70 MPG on a trip that usually nets me just under 50 MPG. So yes, when i drive on hills...i dont use gas...and when conditions are just right my car not only cruises in EV, but can charge itself in EV and maintain a full battery for around 5-7 minutes before losing its mojo. So to anyone wondering if this is an amazing car. Don't just test drive one..buy one for yourself and see what it can do for you! Lol...just thought i'd throw a sales pitch in there in the end, but seriously! BUY ONE!

This sounds like it defies the laws of physics. Please take a video of this so that we can try to duplicate it. We are about to be taking a 5000+ mile road trip where we will be driving through the Canadian Rockies and would love to be able to use as many tricks as possible to save gas

• Like 1

I am about to take a long distance trip to las vegas this weekend and should produce similar results. i will be sure to take plenty of pictures and video of this and make its own thread. Maybe i just got a mutant xD

Thanks!! Can't wait to see this. Have a safe trip!