Visual Garage shark fin and the car wash

Razdan

From what I have been reading that if you prep the surface correctly it isn't going anywhere which is why all the concern about lining it up exactly correct the first time through as you are not going to get a second chance to pull and reapply it.

From the VG website FAQ...

Does the VG Shark Fin Antenna hold up to a car wash?
Yes, the VG Shark Fin Antenna is secured firmly to the roof of your car with 3M automotive adhesive and will withstand numerous car washes, both soft cloth as well as touch-less car washes.

As Bearcats98 mentioned, surface preparation is the most important step.

I have the VG shark fin and have had 2 car washes so far. No problems.

As has been said, you will not have a 2nd chance to align the fin, the tape on it is REALLY sticky, so line it up carefully. Measure twice, cut once. Except not "cut" but "stick".

I placed the fin where I thought it should go, put tape around the fin to outline it, then measured the distances between the tape segments and the antenna base and realized I had not properly centered the fin the first time. So I moved the tape segments and measured again. And then adjusted again to get it really centered. All this before removing the protective cover over the fin's sticky tape.

Once you touch the sticky tape on the fin to your roof, you are committed. But you could still get a slight angle as you place down the back of the fin, so keep it carefully centered until it is all touched down. Then, as the instructions say, press firmly for a couple of minutes.

So, on the off chance that you would want to revert back to the whip antenna, can the fin be removed? I'm not too handy and often mess up stuff like this, so I'd like to hear from your experience before I invest $69+s&h. I figure if I mess up the first attempt, I could remove the fin, buy some tape from Loew's or Auto Zone and reapply. Could you carefully cut the tape with a razor blade and then re-prep the surface?

• 4 weeks later...