add-on or aftermarket "plug-in" system for MKZ?

glocklt4

Since the MKZ unfortunately does not come with the ability to plugin, like the Energi Focus, I'm wondering if it isn't possible to add this after the fact. It does seem like Lincoln will add this ability in a couple years or so, but the wife needs a new car now. I know the Energi Focus has more batteries to support a longer EV run time, which is the reason why it has plugin abilities, however it seems like it would be nice to be able to charge the batteries of the MKZ from the house to save more fuel. Maybe this is just not feasible for the car with it's battery capacity?

Thoughts?

I believe the Hybrid's battery is only 1.4kWh compared to the Fusion/C-Max Energi which has 7.5kWh. Even if it were reasonable to add the Energi charging systems to an MKZ Hybrid, it would hardly be worth the investment. The Hybrid would run through that full charge in a few miles so you really would see little benefit from it. The fuel savings would be negligible.

You know its definetly possible - the cars share the exat same drive train. The real problem is just buying an onboard charge controller assembly and hooking it up correctly to the battery. The problem is the batteries are designed to disconnect their relays when the vehicle is off - when you plugin a leaf (and probably others) you can hear these realy's clicking on.

I'm more than certain companies will be offering this eventually - Enginer or other plug in conversion companies should be offering it eventually - hopefully this year :)

Maybe people should send them an email to show them interest.