I wonder if for some reason the 1.6L is better for Truck based applications?

I rightfully dont know, but seems pointless to basically have two near identical engines....maybe its just to deplete stckpiles of 1.6 blocks? I really think the ONLY reason for the 1.5 was to embrace Chinese needs and their HUGE consumer base....

• Like 1

...I really think the ONLY reason for the 1.5 was to embrace Chinese needs and their HUGE consumer base....

just imho

since they had to redo the 1.6 to bring it up to gen2 EB specs,

why Not un-skosh the displacement for RotW restrictions at the same time?

...maybe a bit closer to their latest ideal bore/stroke...

gen2 EB's will produce more power than the gen1s anyway

& doubt it'd hurt the n/a version.

ps

are there any significant changes between this OG and this one from ice-capades?

351.54K vs 387.83K

I rightfully dont know, but seems pointless to basically have two near identical engines....maybe its just to deplete stckpiles of 1.6 blocks? I really think the ONLY reason for the 1.5 was to embrace Chinese needs and their HUGE consumer base....

Another issue is it might address the MPG issues that the 1.6L has been seeing also...I wonder what its going to be rated in the Fusion? There are alot of improvements to the 1.5L vs the 1.6L and I'd assume the 1.6L will be phased out as time goes on....

Using the 1.6 in Utilities might not be as bad since MPG isn't normally high on the list of what people want out of them.

they can get quite spendy.....

How spendy are we talking? I'm thinking a fully loaded Titanium is probably looking at the $33-35k range. It lacks the 2.0 and AWD of the Escape but has seating for seven and a lot of cargo room. It's competing with the Mazda 5 which tops out under $27k with six seats and isn't a hybrid like the C-Max around $34k not counting the Energi. When should pricing information be public?

How spendy are we talking? I'm thinking a fully loaded Titanium is probably looking at the $33-35k range. It lacks the 2.0 and AWD of the Escape but has seating for seven and a lot of cargo room. It's competing with the Mazda 5 which tops out under $27k with six seats and isn't a hybrid like the C-Max around $34k not counting the Energi. When should pricing information be public?

Thats actually relatively close, i will spec one out with every option...which judging by the ordering guide, NEEDS to be streamlined....SUBSTANTIALLY...there we go MSRP Titanium, basically the whole enchilada....$34235.

Edited by Deanh

Well, if the experience in Escape and Fusion is any guide, Ford is probably position the 2.5 as mainly a fleet choice, and the 1.6T as mainly a retail product.

Also, just noticed that van will have tradition cargo doors in the rear while the wagon will have lift gate. That must have been a focus-grouped decision.

Edited by bzcat

Looks like Ford is going to seriously try to get back the taxi market (the NYC Nissan NV200 contract is tied up in the courts).

Taxi package is available on XL wagon (LWB) only but deletes the 3rd row seats. Comes with wiring harness in the roof for taxi sign so it is factory prepped for taxi duty.

TAXI PACKAGE (86T) – Late Availability
Availability:
• Optional with Only S9E Body Style

Not available with:
• Trailer Tow Package (53T)
• Quickclear Windshield Defroster (43W)
• MyKey® (87K)
• Adaptive Cornering Fog Lamps (94F)
• Mid Vehicle Overhead Stowage (60M)
• Smoker's Package (94B)

Includes:
• AM/FM Stereo Receiver with Single-CD, SYNC® and Rear View
Camera (58W)
• 4 Front Speakers / 2 Rear Speakers
• 4.2” LCD Multi-function Display
• Compass Display
• In-Cluster Message Center
• 180 Deg. Rear Symmetrical Cargo Doors
• Power Front Row Windows with One-Touch Up/Down
• Power 2nd Row Windows with One-Touch Up/Down
• Manual Electric A/C (for smart recirculation)
• Electric Rear-window Defroster (43D)
• Conventional Key
• 2 Additional Manual Keys
• Taxi Upfit Wiring Harness

Optional:
• School Bus Yellow Paint
• Roof Wiring Hole

Excludes:
• 3rd Row Seat
• SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS)

Edited by bzcat

Also, just noticed that van will have tradition cargo doors in the rear while the wagon will have lift gate. That must have been a focus-grouped decision.

Patting myself on the back. I'm pretty sure that when we saw early spy photos of this vehicle that showed both configurations I said it was likely because they would offer them both. :)

Thats actually relatively close, i will spec one out with every option...which judging by the ordering guide, NEEDS to be streamlined....SUBSTANTIALLY...there we go MSRP Titanium, basically the whole enchilada....$34235.

I cannot remember the last time I have seen the lack of option/package groups to base ordering around. As a consumer who will special order my next vehicle, it's great.

Well, if the experience in Escape and Fusion is any guide, Ford is probably position the 2.5 as mainly a fleet choice, and the 1.6T as mainly a retail product.

I'm not sure about the engine choice--with city mpg of the EcoBoost struggling to meet the EPA city ratings, the 2.5L may stay at a high mix. It is standard even on the Titanium which certainly won't be the fleet trim not that it really adds a great deal over a fully optioned XLT.

Both the Van and the Wagon are available with either rear cargo doors or rear lift gate in the XL and XLT trims according to the order guide. Only the Titanium Wagon forces you into one, the liftgate.

I'm not sure which I prefer. Visibility is likely better out of the single piece of glass of the liftgate, but the doors would be quite useful. Plus, that liftgate looks enormous in photos.

Edited by azulejost

• 3 months later...

The old US-spec Transit Connect (LWB only) weights about 600 lbs more than a 2005 Focus hatchback with identical engine and transmission.

The new Transit Connect SWB is about the same size as the old LWB so I would assume it will weight about 600 lbs more than the 2013 Focus hatchback. So around 3500lbs.

The 2014 Transit Connect Order Guide is a disaster from a Dealer's perspective. It's far too long, complex and includes far too many individual options which make it all that more difficult to order the most desirable and fastest selling vehicles for a Dealer to stock, etc.

Large numbers of individual options are also a pain to build, especially in a EU plant that is not used to that many variants.

Wikipedia says that the TC uses the PowerShift dual clutch transmission, but the order guide says SelectShift (likely the 6F35). I'm assuming Wikipedia is wrong.

6F35 is correct.........I have a feeling the DCTs may go away, shame, but AMericans cant get around how it differs, for better or worse, from a treacle filled "slush-box"

All that I know is that the Ford dealer near my office has about a dozen '13s on the front line of their truck lot, with many more in the bacl lot. All are white. They move alot of them. And the inventory numbers are not a concern given the time it will take to get the '14s in the pipeline and on the lots.

Not North American spec info, but maybe of interest for some

Tourneo Connect Specs EU

http://tourneoconnect.fordmedia.eu/documents/FordTourneoConnect-Specifications_EU.pdf

Media Kit http://www.fordmedia.eu/project/all-new-ford-tourneo-connect/

As always, MKII, a helpful post.

Interesting facts from the above link then compared to the Escape:

- The EU 1.6L EB LWB (Grand Torneo Connect) 0-62 mph is 11.1 s. The 2.5L in the Escape is around 0.4 s slower than the 1.6L EB so nearly 11.5 s. However, the listed 0-60 mph times on US Escapes ranges 8.9 s for the 1.6L EB to 9.3 s for the 2.5L.

- The curb weight of the EU 1.6L LWB is 3350 lbs. compared to 3502 lbs. for the 1.6L EB Escape. The 2.5L Escape is around 3515 lbs., so the TCW LWB is likely around 3363 lbs.

- The Duratorq 1.6L is actually slightly lighter than the 1.6L EB, not what I would have expected for a diesel.

I still haven't had a chance to test drive either a Fusion or Escape 2.5L (or 1.6L EB for that matter) after a couple of very negative Ford dealer experiences in the area, but a fully loaded TCW LWB may be quite a slug, especially in mountainous regions. I imagine the 0-60 mph time (not a great representation of real-world power for sure but easily obtainable data) will fall in the 9.x s range despite being 150 lbs. lighter than the Escape. The 0-62 mph times for the EU 1.6L EB just seem far longer than the specs would suggest compared to the US Escape, unless there is that much gearing difference involved which I admittedly have not researched.

Regardless, I continue to look forward to the TC/TCW launch. Any idea how different, if any, the seat to ground height will be from the current TC?