Hybrid and Energi Transit Connect

I have read some articles stating that the upcoming Transit Connect is not in line to receive a hybrid or Energi model. The explanation given seemed to center around the risk of undermining sales of the C-Max models. The other challenge is the fact the TC is built in Spain. Nevertheless, I think it is worth reconsidering.

The biggest case for the Hybrid may come from the taxi market. Neither the 2.5 L or 1.6 L EcoBoost will return very impressive city mpg, and the LWB Taxi seems like a very good taxi package otherwise. I see more and more hybrid taxis around DC, so it seems like it would make sense. With the NYC Nissan deal being challenged, Ford could find a nice window to finally have something to replace Panther in the future people market. It's not yet planned, but a Titanium Taxi with leather, the panoramic roof, and darkly tinted windows could even make some noise in the livery market.

An Energi model would be better for the personal market. I could see the Energi being exclusively LWB although the rear row of seats may not be possible with the large battery pack. If it were a 7-seater, there would likely be less cargo room than the C-Max (behind the rear row of seats for both). It may also be only a 2-row model on the LWB chassis to provide plenty of cargo room. The cargo floor wouldn't have the change to be flat which may be a bigger detriment than I realize. Either way, it would make for a highly fuel efficient family hauler rivaled only by the Prius V but with substantially more utility and the only sliding rear door Hybrid.

The C-Max competition issue may be less serious than believed. I doubt many buyers or families that place a serious emphasis on cargo space can allow the C-Max as consideration at this point. They are forced into the mainstream minivan or crossover market and resigned to a life of twenty-something mpg on good days. This should have a nice 40 mpg EPA rating and reliably return 30s.

Realistically, I think the 7-seat play would be important from a marketing perspective, and I wonder if that would be possible. Could the powertrain withstand the payload capacity and duty cycles I'm describing? What are your thoughts on future Hybrid/Energi models with both cargo room and people moving functionality?

Ford looked at Grand C-max 7-seater but decided to go with C-max for maximum fuel economy benefit,

I'm betting that we ultimately see a rejiggering on CD4 of the European Galaxy MPV into a new age Flex..

Edited by jpd80

Ford's hybrid production and supply chains are centered in North America so until Transit Connect production is moved to Mexico, we probably won't see a hybrid of plug in version. But I agree in concept, this is the most low hanging fruit for the next Ford hybrid... fleet buyers will eat it up and so would the private buyers - which puts C-Max's value proposition at stake. I think it is smart for Ford to focus on C-Max right now and making sure that model has a sustainable future in North America. It's easy enough for Ford to offer a small number of C-Max for taxi duty (it already does) for those holding a hybrid NYC taxi medallion, while using Transit Connect as the main replacement vehicle for Crown Vic taxi.

8469327318_3d70a223f6_z.jpg

8751545597_091468d763_z.jpg

Edited by bzcat