Daytime Running Lights Activated

cobra71

I just had my DRL's activated on my 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium at my local Lincoln dealer. It took less then 5 minutes from start to finish. All that was done was a laptop was hooked up to the data port then from there they were turned on. The DRL's are about one third the normal brightness of the headlights. They come on automatically when the car is placed in gear.

If anyone wants this done they can contact Alan Rains at Witt Lincoln

(619) 358-5079

alan.rains@wittlincoln.com

588 Camino Del Rio North

San Diego, CA 92108

They will charge $59.00 to perform this service

post-49781-0-81540000-1369779851_thumb.jpg

Do you know if DRL can only be activated for Titaniums? If it can be done on SE's, I'll have to look into it, even though the dealer I bought from isn't exactly knocking my socks off when it comes to post-sale service. The price seems "o.k." though.

Yeah, I think it's ridiculous we have to pay to activate a feature like this in the first place, but it is what it is. No use trying to fight the man. They're gonna get paid.

I have same question as taylorjd: does it work as I'm used to DRL working? Just leave auto lights switched on, and in daytime, the DRL is automatically on, then when low light causes the regular headlights to come on, it switches automatically? Just don't wanna go through getting to the dealer, then paying only to find out I have to manually switch lights between DRL & regular headlights.

Just an FYI on my current lights; On Auto, they don't come on until it gets pretty dark. I found that two pieces, layered, of scotch tape, "tinted" with a black permanent marker covered over the light sensor makes the lights come on at dusk or on a dark cloudy day. Perfect for me. :) Wish Ford had a sensor you could set.

• Like 3

With DRL's activated only the headlights are on during the day no other lights. When the headlight switch is set to auto everything functions as normal. For the auto rain sensor I couldn't tell you since it hardly rains here in San Diego.

Since I live in the south, DRL's aren't likely to do anything but drain the battery...

:headscratch:

They only turn on when the vehicle is in gear. When are you going to have the vehicle in gear when it's only operating on accessory power?

Oh, you have an Energi. Nevermind. :)

Edited by NickF1011

Since I live in the south, DRL's aren't likely to do anything but drain the battery... Maybe someday in the future I'll get an LED light bar type kit.

I really agree, not sure how much power the lights use though. For my Energi, I want to stay in EV for as long as I can. I don't even turn on the Heat or AC if I can bare it (I do run the radio.....you do have to draw the line somewhere :) )

• Like 2

Well, I've had one dealer tech tell me "this just can't be done", LMAO. I didn't even argue beyond saying "I know that's not true." This isn't the Ford dealer from which I bought by Fusion, though. My salesman is checking with tech tomorrow at his shop to see what they say. My dealer hasn't exactly displayed proactive post-sales service, so I'm not holding my breath. I'm in Iowa though..we're always way behind the coasts!

I tried about 4 Ford dealers near me and not one of them even wanted to help me so I gave up. Then my friends grandfather bought a Lincoln MKZ and my friend was there at delivery of the Lincoln and asked if the dealership could activate the DRL's on his Ford Edge and they said they would give it a shot. So that is how I had mine turned on by the Lincoln dealership. So in short it is possible to have factory DRL's without having to special order the car.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
Just an FYI on my current lights; On Auto, they don't come on until it gets pretty dark. I found that two pieces, layered, of scotch tape, "tinted" with a black permanent marker covered over the light sensor makes the lights come on at dusk or on a dark cloudy day. Perfect for me. :) Wish Ford had a sensor you could set.

I have been meaning to do exactly this. My '11 Fusion had auto headlights, and so does our '11 Edge. Both of them turn on at a good level of light. It is almost dark, or VERY poor weather before these turn on. Definitely needs to be adjusted.

I am going to ask the dealer when I have it in next to see if they can tweak it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone read the 2014 Fusion owner's manual? On page 95 in the settings menu it says the computer gives you an option to turn DRL's on or off? Is this just for fleet vehicles or is it for any fusion?

Could apply to Canadian vehicles. If I'm not mistaken, all vehicles in Canada must have DRLs.