FUEL DELIVERY MODULE REPLACEMENT - RECALL

Chris1970

Information from Ford's report to the DOT:

573.6 © (2)- Potentially Affected Vehicles
Vehicles potentially affected are:
• 2013 model year Ford Explorer, Taurus, Police Interceptor Sedan, Police Interceptor
Utility vehicles and certain 2013 model year Lincoln MKS vehicles built at the Chicago
Assembly Plant (CAP) from August 25, 2011, through January 10, 2013.
• 2013 model year Ford Flex and certain 2013 model year Lincoln MKT vehicles built at the
Oakville Assembly Complex (OAC) from September 12, 2011, through January 30, 2013.
• 2013 model year Ford Fusion and certain 2013 model year Lincoln MKZ vehicles built at
the Hermosillo Stamping and Assembly Plant (HSAP) from March 3, 2012, through
March 22, 2013.
Fuel Delivery Module
Supplier Name: DENSO International America, Inc.
Supplier Address: 24777 DENSO Drive, Southfield, Ml48086
Supplier Telephone: 248-350-7500
Supplier Contact: Bridgette LaRose
Country of origin for the component: USA (with some Japan-sourced components)
573.6 © (3)- Estimated Population of Vehicles Potentially Affected
Approximately 390,783 vehicles in the United States and federalized territories are potentially
affected.
573.6 © (4)- Estimated Percentage of Affected Vehicles with the Defect Condition
Unknown.
573.6 © (5)- Description of the Defect
Some of the fuel delivery modules in the suspect population may develop a crack at the insertmolded vertical port that could potentially result in a fuel leak. Warranty data indicates that the
customer is likely to experience fuel odor or, in some cases, observe evidence of a fuel leak on
the ground.
There are no reports of accident, injury, or fire related to this condition.

From the chronology of events:

"Engineering updated the warranty data analysis and advised that pressurized fuel soak testing

had shown small surface cracks on 5 of the 6 test samples for Fusion I MKZ FDMs, after 300
hours of testing. Engineering advised that even though there were no related warranty reports on
the Fusion and MKZ vehicles, their testing and analysis indicated that over time, these FDMs, and
the FDMs on the Explorer, Taurus, Flex, MKS and MKT vehicles, could be susceptible to the
development of small surface cracks, which in some cases, could propagate into leaks."
So at present, no Fusion/MKZ owners have reported having these issues.
Additionally: "Part availability and subsequent re-notification is expected to be
completed in the 4th quarter of 2013." So it is unlikely that many dealers will be able to get their hands on sufficient quantities of FDMs to replace all at once.
Edited by ibinubu12

Just got my fusion back from some other work and they checked this out for me while it was in. No crack/leak so far. They said they will let me know once they start getting a better flow of inventory to fix. Cars with a leak will get a priority. They mentioned if I smell gas or see a leak to call them right away.

Thanks! How did you find this? I didn't see it posted here or the Fusion Hybrid forum before.

Google allows you to search a sites content that it has cached by doing site:[website] [search term]. Its a handy trick for when a website has a lackluster search function. In this case doing something like site:fordservicecontent.com fusion will bring back any pages that have the word fusion in it. That site only seems to have tsb info that you can search.

• Like 1

Google allows you to search a sites content that it has cached by doing site:[website] [search term]. Its a handy trick for when a website has a lackluster search function. In this case doing something like site:fordservicecontent.com fusion will bring back any pages that have the word fusion in it. That site only seems to have tsb info that you can search.

what a helpful piece of information. Thanks for the tip!

I've got almost 7k miles on mine and am still getting the same 20-22mpg average across tanks. I've only seen that type of mileage except on one highway only trip where I got 29mpg.

Same here, so I don't really believe the 3000 or even 5000 (as my dealership said) break-in period. I'm pretty much getting the same MPG as day one. My driving technique has improved because of the visual help of the instant MPG but I think that's the main reason for any MPG improvement I've seen.

On Topic: I just called my dealership and they want to do the inspection first like everyone said. They said dropping the fuel tank will take all day and they won't even provide me a rental...am I missing something here? This is in no way may fault, shouldn't they provide a rental? (Let me know if there is some unwritten law about this, this is my first new car)

Edited by deadman64

The wife's new fusion is under the Recall, she emailed the service department to inquire when she could bring it in, and their response was:

"They do not have parts yet for this recall, only if you are leaking fuel at this point if not they will mail letters in July to all the customers to let them know. It will have to be done at a Ford dealer and you can go to any that you would like. If you have any questions please feel free to email me, Thank You! "

that's pretty absurd. Do they not have loaner cars or a hook up with a rental company??

They said when they are actually swapping out the part they will provide a rental but not for an inspection lol. I asked them to go look into it again because that's pretty ridiculous. Of course, they said this can only be completed on a week day lol. So a weekday with no rental and being single with no other car is pretty rough....Still waiting for a call back from them...

Just called my dealer, and they said pretty much what others here have said. The serrvice advisor indicated that unless you are smelling the fuel odor and/or see leakage under the car, they will not replace it. The is a select number of parts currently which are reserved for those experiencing issues. He said Ford will send out the official recall notice in 3rd quarter and have sufficient parts avaliable for all customers under the recall to get the module replaced.

Guess I will start being more observant of the odor and leakage. He did tell me the odor and/or leakage should be coming from the passenger side since that is where the module is located. If he didn't say that I would have thought driver's side since that is where the fuel filler is.

My dealer advised me this AM that if my car had the issue they would replace the part and then replace it again when the new part came out. They had two so far. One where you could smell the gas fumes and one that was leaking gas.

So far, no issue with mine. They did replace one of my keys this AM, replaced the missing "F" on my trunk lid and did the fix for my snap-crackle-pop noise.

This should be interesting. This will be the 4th time my car will go in for gas tank/fuel issues. I've had it in 3 times already because my tank only holds about 12.5 gallons instead of 16.5 (still waiting for a fix from Ford on that one). :(

My dealer advised me this AM that if my car had the issue they would replace the part and then replace it again when the new part came out. They had two so far. One where you could smell the gas fumes and one that was leaking gas.

So far, no issue with mine. They did replace one of my keys this AM, replaced the missing "F" on my trunk lid and did the fix for my snap-crackle-pop noise.

I was washing and waxing my fusion and when i was drying it thats when i noticed those letterings are so loosely put on the car. It's as if its stuck on by adhesive tape. I thought those letters would be hard glued onto the car or at least a lot more durable than they are on this car. I actually have to take care so i dont get the towel tangled up between them and the car and twist a letter off or something. That's probably the only thing i dont like so i can understand when you say the "F" had to be replaced.

This should be interesting. This will be the 4th time my car will go in for gas tank/fuel issues. I've had it in 3 times already because my tank only holds about 12.5 gallons instead of 16.5 (still waiting for a fix from Ford on that one). :(

Wait no longer. There is a TSB out for that one now.

Here's the one for the fuel tank (and also has an instrument cluster update if you have MyFord Touch)

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3575/tsb13-06-03.pdf

There was also a separate TSB for those who had issues where the gas pump would constantly click off during fill up:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3553/tsb13-06-01.htm

I was washing and waxing my fusion and when i was drying it thats when i noticed those letterings are so loosely put on the car. It's as if its stuck on by adhesive tape. I thought those letters would be hard glued onto the car or at least a lot more durable than they are on this car. I actually have to take care so i dont get the towel tangled up between them and the car and twist a letter off or something. That's probably the only thing i dont like so i can understand when you say the "F" had to be replaced.

That's the norm these days it seems last couple cars were the same. Really have to use care in the summer heat - glue gets even softer. On the upside makes de-badging easier.

Here's the one for the fuel tank (and also has an instrument cluster update if you have MyFord Touch)

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3575/tsb13-06-03.pdf

There was also a separate TSB for those who had issues where the gas pump would constantly click off during fill up:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3553/tsb13-06-01.htm

awesome thanks for finding it. My service dept is going to be busy with all my complaints (gas tank filling issue, door rattling noises)

Wow...great info. The one you list for the fuel tank is for FWD vehicles, and mine is an AWD. Do you know if there is similar TSB for AWD?

Thanks!

Guest RRF985

Wow...great info. The one you list for the fuel tank is for FWD vehicles, and mine is an AWD. Do you know if there is similar TSB for AWD?

Thanks!

There is not. The AWD model has a different (larger) tank and does not suffer from this issue.

Edited by RRF985