What change do you want for the Ford Fusion?

taylorjd

For the Fusion Energi:

I would like to see a greater EV range. At least 40 miles. Most of my daily trips are between 20 and 40 miles round trip.If I could get close to 40, I would rarely use any gas.

Edited by taylorjd
  • Like 1

For the Fusion Energi:

I would like to see a greater EV range. At least 40 miles. Most of my daily trips are between 20 and 40 miles round trip.If I could get close to 40, I would rarely use any gas.

Should improve as the battery tech improves. Unfortunately, the only real way to accomplish a significant range increase immediately would be to make the battery packs larger at the sacrafice of more trunk space.

• Like 1

Should improve as the battery tech improves. Unfortunately, the only real way to accomplish a significant range increase immediately would be to make the battery packs larger at the sacrafice of more trunk space.

Which dove tails into mine... FAR better battery placement. The video where they shove it into the trunk and go home, speaks lazy to me, not innovation. If you look at other vehicles, they've managed to hide more of the battery. I'm not asking for a 2 body trunk (as they would say on the Sapronos), but better space utilization would be nice.

There are many cool technologies in the car, but hiding the battery isn't one. :-)

Edited by shaggy314
  • Like 2

Which dove tails into mine... FAR better battery placement. The video where they shove it into the trunk and go home, speaks lazy to me, not innovation. If you look at other vehicles, they've managed to hide more of the battery. I'm not asking for a 2 body trunk (as they would say on the Sapronos), but better space utilization would be nice.

There are many cool technologies in the car, but hiding the battery isn't one. :-)

Many of those vehicles where they are integrated better were designed with EV variants in mind or as dedicated EV platforms entirely. Being based on what was EUCD, CD4 didn't really have that kind of flexibility.

• Like 1

Nit picking:

LIghts: I like to leave mine in the on position but it bings telling me they are on. I would rather they do like my old Nissan and Hyundai and just go "off" without reminder.

TPMS: Show actual numbers. With all those cool LCD screens I would think it should be easy and not terribly more expensive to put in the more dynamic sensors.

I have not driven mine enough (just at 1K) to do maint. that usually brings up a host of what the *ahem* where they thinking when they put this here? I am suspicious given you need to remove your bumper to replace dead headlights....

Edited by Bearcats98
  • Like 2

Many of those vehicles where they are integrated better were designed with EV variants in mind or as dedicated EV platforms entirely. Being based on what was EUCD, CD4 didn't really have that kind of flexibility.

Which I was going to add the Wish for More Trunk Space. I know Ford created the Fusion Energi as almost an after thought, adding more battery to the Hybrid. But I hope this leads to Ford rethinking how they can add more batteries (or more powerful) without giving up the great look and tech of something like the Fusion. I have high hopes for Ford's EV and PHEV future. I love my Fusion Energi and hope they keep making it better.

First request I would make - bring the 5-door version that will be sold in Europe.

Second - more attention to detail. There are too many fit and finish issues.

Third - Make the controls less distracting. Get rid of the "haptic" "touch sensitive" climate control buttons and use real buttons and dials. Use a rotary-switch type control for the moonroof.

My car is a Titanium AWD. Overall, I like the car a lot but Ford can do better.

Which I was going to add the Wish for More Trunk Space. I know Ford created the Fusion Energi as almost an after thought, adding more battery to the Hybrid. But I hope this leads to Ford rethinking how they can add more batteries (or more powerful) without giving up the great look and tech of something like the Fusion. I have high hopes for Ford's EV and PHEV future. I love my Fusion Energi and hope they keep making it better.

Oh I'm sure future generation vehicles will be designed with such things in mind from the beginning.

Nit picking:

Auto LIghts: I like to leave mine on but it bings telling me they are on. I would rather they do like my old Nissan and Hyundai and just go "off" without reminder.

TPMS: Show actual numbers. With all those cool LCD screens I would think it should be easy and not terribly more expensive to put in the more dynamic sensors.

I have not driven mine enough (just at 1K) to do maint. that usually brings up a host of what the *ahem* where they thinking when they put this here? I am suspicious given you need to remove your bumper to replace dead headlights....

My lights when left on auto don't harass me when I exit the vehicle, and they turn off after a minute or so.

To add to your TPMS note, it'd also be nice to show AWD status on the left screen if the vehicle is AWD (like the Escape does, for example). Actually, the manual says it should, but it doesn't...

To add to your TPMS note, it'd also be nice to show AWD status on the left screen if the vehicle is AWD (like the Escape does, for example). Actually, the manual says it should, but it doesn't...

Eh, my Edge has that feature. I think I've looked at it twice in 2 1/2 years. I figure if you're in a driving situation where the AWD is actively working to the point where it would be indicated on the display, you should probably have your eyes on the road, not on a pictogram of your car.

My lights when left on auto don't harass me when I exit the vehicle, and they turn off after a minute or so.

You are right, I typed "auto" and meant "on". I always leave my lights on, not in auto. Sorry about that.

For the Energi...

I get the idea behind the charge port ring as a visual cue as to the current charge level. I would, however, prefer a better implementation that doesn't leave more gaps and seams just begging for lazy body shop guys to slop wax into. I've got wax residue left on the back side of that plastic ring. My first, ignorant, attempts to remove it left me with a nice big scratch and a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Maybe recess the plastic ring to inside the charge port door so that it is only visible when the port door is open. I don't really pay much attention to mine anyway so it could be removed altogether for all I care.

Some designs have implications due to unforeseen owner stupidity.

As for battery and trunk in the Energi...

Since it seems to be the increasing norm to forgo the spare tire in favor of other "solutions", is it time to just redesign the trunk to take out the spare tire well and incorporate that space into the battery footprint?

• Like 1

Would love to see MFT get the boot. Fusion needs an app based touch screen control with a more responsive touch screen. Less onscreen button clutter. Give us both android and iPhone screen mirroring and control. Tap the vehicle microphone into the phone connection and give us native voice control. Give me the choice of any phone maps app (apple, google, etc) navigation over built in navigation. True upgradable choice over locked in features.

• Like 2

Turn lane keeping into true auto steering. It's current implementation makes a nice demo but is not my favorite gadget in the car. Partner with google or something.

Adaptive cruise on the other hand is the true killer app in my fusion. Pretty much set and forget for a highway trip. It always maintains my distance with the cars in front of me, varying speed as necessary.

• Like 1

Replace the huge key fobs with micro fobs. So tired of huge key fobs ( and physical keys for that matter ). A modern car with a physical key is so wrong. It's the 21st century, it's time we start seeing some Jetsons tech. All cars should be push button start.

• Like 2

Replace the huge key fobs with micro fobs. So tired of huge key fobs ( and physical keys for that matter ). A modern car with a physical key is so wrong. It's the 21st century, it's time we start seeing some Jetsons tech. All cars should be push button start.

I agree, how about a credit card size that you can leave in your wallet or maybe a way to make your phone the key. I would love to be able to carry less things in my pocket.

• Like 3

For the Energi...

I get the idea behind the charge port ring as a visual cue as to the current charge level. I would, however, prefer a better implementation that doesn't leave more gaps and seams just begging for lazy body shop guys to slop wax into. I've got wax residue left on the back side of that plastic ring. My first, ignorant, attempts to remove it left me with a nice big scratch and a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Maybe recess the plastic ring to inside the charge port door so that it is only visible when the port door is open. I don't really pay much attention to mine anyway so it could be removed altogether for all I care.

Some designs have implications due to unforeseen owner stupidity.

I agree with the less gaps, but I do like the visual display that it was charging. I stopped at a free charging station and it had a Volt plugged in. I could not tell if it was finished charging or still charging (no visual sign). So I did not use the charger that stop.

The smaller key fob idea is a great one. The keyless entry, along with the "invisible" keypad is a great, but a much smaller keyfob would do it one better.

The park assist is almost useless to me for parallel parking. You have to pull up in front of the car that you will park behind. In traffic, the car behind you typically gets up on your rear bumper by that point, blocking you from backing up so far. I usually end up just parking manually, especially in heavy traffic. It needs improvement. As is, it is the one feature I bought that I wish I had skipped.

Night vision might be a candidate for the future. For people who live in areas with a lot of deer that can be, literally, a life saver.

• Like 1

Night vision might be a candidate for the future. For people who live in areas with a lot of deer that can be, literally, a life saver.

I like that idea.

For the Hybrids and Energis

I would like to see an AWD Fusion Hybrid and Energi. Also tow packages. I would love to be able to tow my Yamaha TMAX, but don't want to give up the PHEV. Yes, I want it all :).

• Like 1