Grandmother's...I swear...

Powered By Fusion

Had my fusion for about a week and today i picked up my grandma. She's going to be staying with us for a week and a half. Of course she loved the car! Loved it so much she accidentally opened the door to get out and hug my aunt and scrapped the bottom of the front door against the pavement curb...DON'T YOU HATE THAT? Like it's okay if it happens to someone else, but not me. lol. Anyway, if you close the door you see no damage. If you open the door and look down at the bottom of the door you see no damage..but if you run your finger along the bottom edge of the door its smooth..and when you get near the tip of the door where it scraped it feels a little rough and bumpy. Upon getting closer inspection on the ground looking up i see it's a little jagged in that area from the scrapping against the concrete but not too much damage at all....but my concern is now that there are little micro/small punctures into the base/clearcoat will it get worse years from now? Will those areas rust and spread? How can i seal it up from the bare metal being exposed to the elements. As of right now it's a problem only i see and know of..It's nothing visually damaging since its the bottom edge of the door (that scraped the ground and you have to feel it to know its been scraped against the ground or look at it from the bottoom up...but my concern is protecting the little paint chipped areas in that little area...

Is that now a weak area of my car door? I don't want the paint to start chipping off months from now or anything...i dont think it will spread or anything, just worried rust will get there since the metal in those few scrapped areas where metal is exposed from the scratching is those little jagged areas you'd have to see with a magnifying glass.

Edited by Powered By Fusion

*update* Going to get a tri-coat white platinum touch up pen set for less than $40. It includes a seperate pen for the base coat, mid coat, and clear coat. Just swiping each of those on the bottom of the door will fill those little jaggies with paint and should keep rust from forming. That's all i really wanna do as no visible paint damage has been done to the car.

• Like 2

Repeat after me " Grandma, hang on a second, let me get the door for you".

When in doubt, with other passengers, insert "Mom" or "Sweetheart".

Earn points with them. Spare your car, and yourself, the agony.

Hope your door doesn't have any significant damage and that a little touch-up is all it needs.

• Like 1

Where did you get the touch up pens? Happened to me in my Corolla. Eh i just left it alone and completely forgot about it lol.

I found two stores online, but settled with http://www.automotivetouchup.com since they are the cheapest. Complete white-platinum tricoat pack with 3 pens (one for each coat) for just $36 bucks with rush 2-3 day shipping. Not bad at all. The amount of touchup im doing is just running a pen along the bottom corner of the door that touched the ground to cover up the paint chipped area with paint, letting it dry and repeating with the other 2 pens and it will be good. It's nothing anyone can see so all i want to do is smooth out the area and recover up the metal little areas in the jagged area that scraped the ground. It should work nicely and be no trouble at all.

They have every color imaginable for Fords and unlike visual garage that need 2-3 weeks to custom paint your shark fin, these guys custom make your paint in 1 day and ship it the next. If you order early enough it may even ship the same day! They are really fast and up on their game! Can't wait to get my custom paint in the next day or two.

I'll most likely have the pens for any other minor touchups i may ever need to do in the life of me having this car. In the end no car is ever perfect for long. We all hope our fusions come perfect as they are brand new from the factory, but after driving it the same thing happens to them that has happened to all our other cars given enough time and driving. All you can really do is hope you keep damage to a minimum for as long as you can :) I don't hate my grandma..Accidents happen and she was really sorry. Could of been worse...I could of parked next to a shopping cart collector area and she could have opened the door wide into it messing up the hide of the door lol. So..can't complain lol.