Next SVT Mustang may axe Shelby name and go naturally aspirated

the 2.0 eco boost right now is capable of 325.............I dont think we will see and eco Nano enging ( and its a 2.7 apparently ) in the Mustang......4 cylinder for sure...and funny, the 5.0 is going NO WHERE, so theres no doubt in my mind a twin turbo 5.0 will be the crown prince....

Im sure it is capable of it but will it live at that hp? Isnt the 2L EB is down 30 hp to the competition already? There has to be a reason for that.

Im sure it is capable of it but will it live at that hp? Isnt the 2L EB is down 30 hp to the competition already? There has to be a reason for that.

Answer: A small turbo and a preoccupation with making the engine behave more like a high speed diesel engine than delivering outright power?

• Like 1

Like stated before, they are tuned for MPG not HP numbers...there is still lots of headroom to grow the EB engines for power if they need to be.

Plasma transferred wire arc is a very useful technology, I don't see any reason it couldn't be applied to the 5.0 and give it a few more cubes. On topic I would be absolutely shocked to see the cobra/gt500/whateveryouwanttocallit use anything other than the current 5.8 or a forced induction 5.0. An NA engine would be a step backwards in my eyes.

Magazines typically throw in a bit of false info with whatever tidbits they have that are true just to stay in decent graces with the manufacturers, happens all of the time. They're not going to bite the hand that feeds them (advertising dollars).

TT Coyote.

1. Ford's not going to let the Camaro off the hook that easy.

2. Chrysler is going artificial aspiration for its top muscle cars, so Ford is sure as hell not going to back off and let both of the other companies run all-over THE icon.

3. This got started because of that "other dirty little rumor" about what Ford's up to, and that situation will have NO BEARING on what happens with the Stang, Ford's too good to let that happen.

Can't comment on the rumor per say but thinking 5.7 liter ala 351 cid has way more appeal than a 5.2 liter anything. Maybe I just want to see the Boss 351 return and a bumped Coyote would be fricking great. Still slot the Boss above the GT and under the Cobra. I'm thinking the Cobra will be forced induction via the twin turbo 5.0. Should make crazy power with good reliability. Tuners are running Coyotes up to 700+ hp without much done to the internals.....

Plasma transferred wire arc is a very useful technology, I don't see any reason it couldn't be applied to the 5.0 and give it a few more cubes. On topic I would be absolutely shocked to see the cobra/gt500/whateveryouwanttocallit use anything other than the current 5.8 or a forced induction 5.0. An NA engine would be a step backwards in my eyes.

easy comeback....why have the expense of the 5.8 which will only be utilized in "GT500" premise....why not use the CURRENT 5.0 block, slap on Direct injection and twim turbo it, costs will be subsidized and the Coyote may be one if the all round BEST engines around, and dare I say it possibly lighter than the current 5.8...with TT the 5.0 makes the 5.8 obsolete.......

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

Can't comment on the rumor per say but thinking 5.7 liter ala 351 cid has way more appeal than a 5.2 liter anything. Maybe I just want to see the Boss 351 return and a bumped Coyote would be fricking great. Still slot the Boss above the GT and under the Cobra. I'm thinking the Cobra will be forced induction via the twin turbo 5.0. Should make crazy power with good reliability. Tuners are running Coyotes up to 700+ hp without much done to the internals.....

Well a 5.7L V8 would be interesting, might be able to replace the 6.2L Boss engine?

I like the idea of a naturally aspirated 351, but just an FYI, a 351 would be a 5.8L, not a 5.7L. :)

It would be awesome to have a lineup that looked like this (in order of cheapest to priciest):

1) Mustang V6-- 3.7L V6

2) Mustang ECO-- 2.0L EB I-4

3) Mustang GT-- 5.0 V8

4) Shelby GT-350-- 3.5L EB V6

5) Shelby GT-500-- 5.0L Twin-Turbo V8.

Edit: I'd still like to see a "BOSS 5.0" (I think we can safely ditch the "302", since most engine displacements have been measured in Litres since the 1980's), with a track-friendly suspension and blacked-out trim. The BOSS seems to have done wonders for the 2011-2012 Mustang's press!

Edited by calypsocoral
  • Like 1

Nice list. I hope there's room somewhere for the 5.8 in Fords line up. I have a soft spot for that beast.

One can hope, but I've been reading that the engine bay of the next Mustang might not be large enough for the "tall deck" (5.4 and 5.8) variants of the MOD V8, hence the projected move to a twin-turbo 5.0

I won't lose sleep over it, though-- I think a twin-turbo 5.0, with less mass (and weight) than the 5.8 could easily crank out 600HP. Since the next Mustang is supposed to be lighter than the current one, it might even gain some performance!

One can hope, but I've been reading that the engine bay of the next Mustang might not be large enough for the "tall deck" (5.4 and 5.8) variants of the MOD V8, hence the projected move to a twin-turbo 5.0

I don't think they'll have issues fitting it in...the problem is making EU requirements....just don't sell the GT500 or whatever in the EU then! I doubt there is going to be many takers for a ~$75K Mustang in the EU, since the GT will prob list over 40K in USD over there going on what the Camaro is asking for.

I won't lose sleep over it, though-- I think a twin-turbo 5.0, with less mass (and weight) than the 5.8 could easily crank out 600HP. Since the next Mustang is supposed to be lighter than the current one, it might even gain some performance!

ding ding ding, we have a winner.....but think just under 700, and I heard it may be called Twinforce........

• Like 1

It would be awesome to have a lineup that looked like this (in order of cheapest to priciest):

1) Mustang V6-- 3.7L V6

2) Mustang ECO-- 2.0L EB I-4

3) Mustang GT-- 5.0 V8

4) Shelby GT-350-- 3.5L EB V6

5) Shelby GT-500-- 5.0L Twin-Turbo V8.

Edit: I'd still like to see a "BOSS 5.0" (I think we can safely ditch the "302", since most engine displacements have been measured in Litres since the 1980's), with a track-friendly suspension and blacked-out trim. The BOSS seems to have done wonders for the 2011-2012 Mustang's press!

Mustang ECO? WTF... Mustang SVO - 2.3 Ecoboost :) much better...

I like Boss 5.0 and I think the 3.5 turbo can be the new MACH 1

3.7 V6 - Mustang

2.3 turbo - Mustang SVO

5.0 V8 "normal" version - Mustang GT

3.5 turbo - Mustang MACH 1

5.0 V8 special edition/high output version - Bullit, Boss 5.0

5.0 turbo - GT500 Cobra

Whatever happened to that 7.0 V8 Roush(?) built on that track only Mustang? It's been a couple years back but I thought there was some direct fomoco involvement in that. Call it a....wait for it....Boss 429.

A guy can dream right? ;)

what happened?.....CAFE is what happened along with gas guzzler taxes, size and weight......

Coyote started out with 412 hp in GT and the Boss had 440 hp and then the GT increased to 425 hp and the Boss was gone.

I have a hunch that the GT will get another nudge to 440 hp and a maybe a big port Cobra Jet with 475-500 hp joins it?

That would certainly make the LS munchkins over at GM sit up and take notice..

Edited by jpd80

EB 20 or a EB23 would be nice to see. I think even though a 5.8L might not make it but perhaps in a truck as a NA option? I don't know how long the BOSS 6.2 is going to be around. As for the D37, maybe a boost to the under 350 hp mark might have others take notice. Now I know it's just a numbers game but it's competition nonetheless.

Edited by Hugh