LED Puddle Lamp Success!!!

Jamers

Yep. Just cut all the way around except for the clip about 1/4" down from the clear lens. Then, open it up like a clam. (1/2-3/4 open to not break it) It is a pain to Dremmel open the things, but it gets easier with practice. Close back up with hot glue or something similar, then clean up around the seam with Dremmel.

I just replaced my puddle lamps on my 2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium and they work fine without the resistor hassle. They fade out nicely too. I'm not sure if they electrical system changed or is different for Hybrids or what. These are the LEDs that I used. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009W09HG2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They barely fit, but when it is closed back up, the work nicely and are really bright.

Someone should really sell these modded. (cheaper than DaytimeBrightlites) the core charge is crazy when the replacements sell for $27 new and shipped.

Now it is time to replace low beams with HIDs and parking lights with LEDs. I can't believe you have to remove the bumper just to replace the front bulbs. That is crazy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to respond to your statement Doitjust4fun. "Someone should really sell these modded. (cheaper than DaytimeBrightlites) the core charge is crazy when the replacements sell for $27 new and shipped."

The $27 you refer to is for one puddle light, so $54.00 total for two. Our $56.00 core deposit (both puddle lights) is fully refunded when you send us your old lights after installing our new LED puddle lights. Not sure why you think that is crazy, when you get that money back. We offer this to help our customers save money. If we didn't have the core deposit option, the customer would have to remove their stock puddle lights and send them to us to upgrade. That would force them to drive around for a couple of weeks with open holes and dangling wires in their mirrors. Our core deposit program allows us to keep finished LED puddle lights on the shelf and ship orders within 24 hours, instead of making the customer wait two weeks.

Thanks for hearing me out, Dan Smith

(www.DAYTIMEBrightLites.com & www.DriveBright.com)

ExplorerBanner_zps85c57fac.gif

I think DoIt's issue isn't the deposit itself but rather the actual price for the retrofits. From your website, the price for a set of the regular LED puddle lamps is $74 plus the core deposit. So I think what he was referring to is asking if someone sells them cheaper seeing as to how you can get LED lamps for around $10 or less and then you would have an extra set of puddle lamps if the LED set somehow died.

Just wanted to respond to your statement Doitjust4fun. "Someone should really sell these modded. (cheaper than DaytimeBrightlites) the core charge is crazy when the replacements sell for $27 new and shipped."

The $27 you refer to is for one puddle light, so $54.00 total for two. Our $56.00 core deposit (both puddle lights) is fully refunded when you send us your old lights after installing our new LED puddle lights. Not sure why you think that is crazy, when you get that money back. We offer this to help our customers save money. If we didn't have the core deposit option, the customer would have to remove their stock puddle lights and send them to us to upgrade. That would force them to drive around for a couple of weeks with open holes and dangling wires in their mirrors. Our core deposit program allows us to keep finished LED puddle lights on the shelf and ship orders within 24 hours, instead of making the customer wait two weeks.

Thanks for hearing me out, Dan Smith

(www.DAYTIMEBrightLites.com & www.DriveBright.com)

I was able to do the replacement myself. On the driver's side, I was able to pry the lens off the body without much effort. On the passenger's side I used an old serrated steak knife to carefully cut around where the lens fits inside the body and popped it off. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with the Putco LED that Jamers linked to on the original post. I didn't have the exact resistor Jamers used, I had a bunch of 68 ohm 1 Watt resistors, so I used two on each puddle lamp. Interestingly on my 2014, the only issue I noticed when connected without any resistors was a very - and I mean VERY - dim glow from the LEDs. They lit up and seemed to dim without issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello To All

FUSION TITANIUM 2014 AWD

I'm from brasil, and i have replaced my PUDDLE LIGHTS with LED LIGHTS that i brought on aliexpress !

The puddle lights don't flick, and it continue with the same decreasing light efect when i turn of the car !

Size 31mm

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/932497930.html

TIP: To pull off the puddle lights lamp cover, i just used two screwdriver ( one from front and other from behind of the cover ). I believe that this is the easy way !

10418900_10152498648402264_5951099533542

Other TIP:

To open the puddle light cover, after is has been removed i just warmed my stiletto ( THIN SNIFE ) and cut all arround the cover !

After i just use other screwdrive to open the case !

After all done, just used SUPER GLUE to seal the case again ! ( TEST THE LIGHTS BEFORE )

IMG_2.jpg

Edited by bond101

I think DoIt's issue isn't the deposit itself but rather the actual price for the retrofits. From your website, the price for a set of the regular LED puddle lamps is $74 plus the core deposit. So I think what he was referring to is asking if someone sells them cheaper seeing as to how you can get LED lamps for around $10 or less and then you would have an extra set of puddle lamps if the LED set somehow died.

Thanks for the clarification "rp". I understand how some can think the price of our plug & play upgraded LED puddle lights are high compared to the cost of an LED bulb. Especially those that believe they have the ability to convert their stock puds themselves. Our LED puddle lights are geared more for those that do not have, what we call, the "Three T's" - the Time, the Tools or the Talent. The benefit of our lights, is that a person who does not have one or more of the Three T's now has a product available which allows them to have this wonderful lighting effect on their vehicle.

Marketing to these folks has been incredibly successful. We have been making our LED Puddle Lights for two years now and likely by the end of July will have made our 7,000th LED puddle light. Yep, 7,000! We have gotten very good at making these high quality and long lasting LED puddle lights. We have created multiple performance and quality upgrades over the years and plan to continue doing so into the future. We will be continuing to add totally unique Ford & Lincoln specific LED products to our product line, so check us out buy clicking on the photo below.

Edited by BrightLites

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

thanks to this great thread I now know how to replace puddle lights as well as reverse bulbs. But does anyone know how to replace map lights? I don't know how to open front and rear domes... (crappy) service manual gives no clue.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a newbie question. Probably too simplistic.

I really like the approach of replacing, where practical (I.e. not having to re/re a whole bumper!) The lights of the FFH so they are LED. And this thread is a gold mime of information.

But why wouldn't Ford have done EVERYTHING as LED in the first place? On a car where battery power is a main source of power.

• 3 months later...

hi,

thanks to this great thread I now know how to replace puddle lights as well as reverse bulbs. But does anyone know how to replace map lights? I don't know how to open front and rear domes... (crappy) service manual gives no clue.

The dome lights on the current generation Fusions do not have a standard incandescent (filament) bulb inside them. The Fusion dome light is very similar to the Ford Explorer dome light that uses an LED mounted on a printed circuit board. The LED cannot be easily removed and replaced.

For some reason Ford chose to use a very yellow color LED chip to match the yellow look of a standard bulb. Our company is looking into providing a new FUSION dome light LED upgrade product. If you or anyone else is interested, send me an email at info@DaytimeBrightLites.com.

Our new Fusion LED upgraded dome will be significantly brighter and whiter than the dim and yellow looking stock dome. Here is a link to our website showing the Explorer LED dome upgrade product. The Fusion dome light upgrade will utilize the same LED technology as the Explorer and will almost double the light output compared to stock.

Daytime BrightLites' Explorer LED Dome Light Upgrade

EDGEBannerAd-BLACK_zpscc1c641e.gif

Edited by BrightLites

• 2 weeks later...

I've replaced the reverse lights with LEDs and it was pretty simple. Took about 10 minutes total with a socket set and haven't had any issues with pulsating. Also replaced the trunk lamp and the license plate lamps with no pulsing issues after about a month now.

I cannot find success with the puddle lamps though...It's driving me crazy. I've tried three different resistors around that range and 5 different sets of LED bulbs now. I popped the puddle lamp housing out easily enough, then I went with the forceful approach to break apart the housing and the bulb cover. Not the best idea, but it worked and should super glue back together just fine.

When I plug the puddle lamp back in with an LED bulb in, it turns on for a split second then cuts out and is basically not omitting any light. Anybody have any wisdom? I refuse to spend $85+ for a different color light in something that isn't that big of a deal at the end of the day. But it's super annoying that I can't get it to work.

Also, has anyone had any success with HIDs or being lazy and going with some of the Philips or SilverStar "HID" style bulbs? I want to swap out all the lighting on the front end but I don't want to have to remove my bumper more than once.

Side note, here's a couple pictures of my car with the factory rims plasti dipped if anyone is looking to do that.

post-52552-0-04474200-1416605441_thumb.jpg

post-52552-0-01428000-1416605444_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben Carson

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 12/14/2015 at 5:43 AM, deadman64 said:

Did anyone ever locate an LED bulb that won't require a resistor to be installed with it?

I just noticed my driver's side puddle is out...so I was thinking of making them LED.

I'm wondering the same. Any info would be cool