LED Puddle Lamp Success!!!

Jamers

I'm having trouble removing my puddle lights.

I attempted it for a little while but gave up because of rain.

I was able to unclip one side of the puddle light but the other half seems stuck in the mirror housing. I pulled pretty hard but it didn't budge.

Any tips or suggestions? I don't want to break it.

Gremlin, the puddle lamps can be a kind of tricky to remove. There is the obvious clip which when pushed will drop one side of the lamp but the other side will still catch. The trick is to pry at opposite side of the clip in tandem. I happen to have a small plastic pry bar that I had left over from an Apple iPod screen replacement project. On the clip side I use a very small flat head screw driver. It takes a while to synchronize it but once you drop the first one the second one will be much easier. Be careful not to slip when applying pressure and scratch the underside of the mirror. Here is a quick video I made for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHAvY39UERo

• Like 4

Gremlin, the puddle lamps can be a kind of tricky to remove. There is the obvious clip which when pushed will drop one side of the lamp but the other side will still catch. The trick is to pry at opposite side of the clip in tandem. I happen to have a small plastic pry bar that I had left over from an Apple iPod screen replacement project. On the clip side I use a very small flat head screw driver. It takes a while to synchronize it but once you drop the first one the second one will be much easier. Be careful not to slip when applying pressure and scratch the underside of the mirror. Here is a quick video I made for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHAvY39UERo

AWESOME!

THANK YOU!

I will try this tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

Jamers I have never worked with resistors or anything but I have replaced all my lights with the exception of these puddle lights. So once I pull out the puddle light and I have the new resisitors and new festoon bulbs will it be straight forward on what needs to be done. Don't want to get myself in over my head.

You won't get in over your head. You will need a few tools however in addition to the LED bulbs and correct resistors. A dremel with disc cutter to open up the puddle lamp assembly. Some epoxy glue to seal the puddle lamp back up (Note: wait to seal until you have tested the LED with the resistor on). A soldering iron and solder to attach the resistor. It's a 30-45 min project from start to finish. If you really don't feel up to it then let me know. I'd be willing to do it for a very reasonable fee. I still have some resistors left over.

I was the guy that mentioned "DayTimeBrightLights" in another post. I have been in contact with Dan, the owner, and he is going to get some of the resistors mentioned above. He should have them tested by the end of this week. I will let you guys know his findings or you can just email him. Much thanks to Jamers for his hard work/research and sharing it with the rest of us.

Did you ever here back from Dan?

Did you ever here back from Dan?

I got this from Dan a couple days ago....

Great news! My new LED Puddle Lights for the 2013 Fusion are now available. The new version has tested perfectly and I have begun production. The first production units will be ready to ship by this weekend.

With the cost of the additional labor and components used in the Fusion version, the price will be a bit higher than my standard LED puddle lights. The Fusion LED puds will be $79.00 versus $73.00 for my standard LED puds.(**$56.00 deposit required. Deposit will be fully refunded after customer returns their original core puddle lights)

The extra $6.00 doesn't cover the added costs, but I am determined to give Fusion owners the same opportunity to own these lights as all of the other Ford & Lincoln model owners do. (I'm sure I will be able to take some cost out of them over time with higher volumes and more efficient production methods, but for now, I'm satisfied with this pricing).

It will take a while before I have the Fusion Puds available to order directly from the website, so if you want to order a set now, let me know and I will send you a PayPal invoice to make your payment. I'm going to have three sets of '13 Fusion LED puds ready to ship on Friday, if you're interested.

I'm waiting to hear from him as well. I sent him an email about them too. I think the hard part is getting the lamp off the car, never having done it before. The reverse lights are easy once you know the force required to get the carpet holders off. The three bolts for the light are no biggie.

I like the idea of useing a plastic blade to pop out the opposite side of the puddle light at the same time.

Placed an order with him on Friday, he said

"Thanks for ordering our new LED Puddle Lights designed for the 2013 Ford Fusion. We have had a huge rush of Fusion pud orders since announcing the new product last Wednesday. It's amazing how word gets out.

With all of these new Fusion orders, we are running about a 7-10 day backlog on orders. Your lights are scheduled to be produced and ready to ship next Thursday, but could be Friday. Feel free to contact me for an update, but you will be notified when they ship, along with a tracking number. Sorry for the unexpected delay, but I'm sure you will soon agree that they will be worth the wait"

Thank you for posting this technique, I've been afraid to break something.

How are u guys getting them off? For the life of me the back seated peice dies not want to budge. I can get the clip part down some.. but then it won't budge.

They are a little tricky, get the tab depressed and pulled about 1/3 of the way, then insert a small slotted screw driver into the crack on the opposing side and gently pry down. This should cause the ridge in the lamp housing to pull out of the mirror allowing the whole assembly to be removed.

• Like 1

They are a little tricky, get the tab depressed and pulled about 1/3 of the way, then insert a small slotted screw driver into the crack on the opposing side and gently pry down. This should cause the ridge in the lamp housing to pull out of the mirror allowing the whole assembly to be removed.

I emailed Dan at Daytime last night talking about the difficulty some of us were having with the removal of the pud lights. I got an email this morning and Dan found after visiting his local Ford dealer that the Fusions with the painted, not the black plastic mirrors, were more difficult to remove. His email talked about using another small screwdriver as shown in the above excellent video. I went out this morning and tried this and in 10 minutes had both pud lights changed. Do check the polarity by opening the door or clicking the key fob before snapping the pud lights back in. With a 50 50 chance of getting it right the first time I failed both times.

For those who are interested in replacing the Puddle Lamps here is the link, now that the small problems have been solved. http://www.daytimebrightlites.com/

BTW great service, questions answered fully in a short time.

Edited by Gkinla
  • Like 1

I emailed Dan at Daytime last night talking about the difficulty some of us were having with the removal of the pud lights. I got an email this morning and Dan found after visiting his local Ford dealer that the Fusions with the painted, not the black plastic mirrors, were more difficult to remove. His email talked about using another small screwdriver as shown in the above excellent video. I went out this morning and tried this and in 10 minutes had both pud lights changed. Do check the polarity by opening the door or clicking the key fob before snapping the pud lights back in. With a 50 50 chance of getting it right the first time I failed both times.

Hey, you are still 100% :rockon:

• Like 1

"Do check the polarity by opening the door or clicking the key fob before snapping the pud lights back in. With a 50 50 chance of getting it right the first time I failed both times. "

For those who are interested in replacing the Puddle Lamps here is the link, now that the small problems have been solved. http://www.daytimebrightlites.com/

Good advice about checking the lights before snapping them back in. The positive is marked in red on the electrical contact of the LED Puddle Light, so you can tell (+) from (-). Can anyone tell me the wire color for the positive wires in both the LH and RH mirrors of the Fusion? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I believe the puddle lamps are the only issue, but I'll let someone who has done it chime in.

LEDs in the reverse lights work just as expected - no pulsing or blinking. I have 194's in there now, but I'm going to get bigger ones from superbrightleds...

The 2013 Fusion manual says they are "921", but the replacements for 921 model bulbs are 194 wedge bulbs. I don't know why they are all referred to by different numbers, but the 194s replace 921, 922, 168, T5, W5WB, etc...

Jamers,

Thanks so much for this!!!!! I've been looking everywhere for info on the bulbs and yours is the first and most thorough.

Doubly thankful for the information about the resistor -- I'm going to get 2 today. Now I just have to learn how to solder... :)

Thanks again, Cush

2013 Fusion Titanium

Ok folks,

Ok, how on Earth do you remove the lens from the housing?? Mine seems to be glued on and impossdible to remove; unless you are supposed to do it a different way... can't replace the bulb otherwise.

Let me know. Thanks in advance, Tim

2013 Fusion Titanium

Are you talking about after taking the puddle lamp housing out of side mirror? You need to cut it open. The plastic is sealed via ultrasonic welding, meaning the two pieces are now virtually one. Cut it just below the clear lens and then epoxy it back together when done. I even put a silicone seal around the edge after the epoxy dried in case I missed a spot.