Ford registers trademark for "MKR", "Lincoln MKR"

Word Mark LINCOLN MKR

Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: land motor vehicles, namely, automobiles and their structural parts and engines; exterior insignia badges for vehicles; vehicle rooftop cargo carriers; spare tire covers; fitted motor vehicle covers; bug deflectors as structural parts of motor vehicles; running boards for motor vehicles; mud flaps for motor vehicles; hitch plugs for motor vehicles in the nature of trailer hitch covers; automobile windshield sunshades and license plate frames for motor vehicles; windshields for motor vehicles; windows for motor vehicles

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number 85961112 Filing Date June 17, 2013 Current Basis 1B Original Filing Basis 1B

Owner (APPLICANT) Ford Motor Company CORPORATION DELAWARE One American Road Dearborn MICHIGAN 48126

Attorney of Record Elizabeth F. Janda Type of Mark TRADEMARK Register PRINCIPAL Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4809:jnz91q.2.2

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Some interesting notes from TESS...

Lincoln MKX, Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln MKR, Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln MKT, and Lincoln MKN are the only "live" marks for the "Lincoln MK_" schematic. "Lincoln MKC" was allowed to expire, though Ford's "MKC" mark remains active, along with "MKE", "MKA", and "MKV".

I would love to know what they had planned for "Lincoln MKSW", which was registered but then allowed to lapse.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Thats strange...why did they let the MKC name lapse when its supposed to be launching in the next 6 months or so?

I'm not holding my breath for the MKR. Biggest issue it has that its old hat and no one remembers the name...the concept came out what? 4-5 years ago? Too far out, unless they are planning on reintroducing the MKR name as a concept this coming show season.

Thats strange...why did they let the MKC name lapse when its supposed to be launching in the next 6 months or so?

I'm not holding my breath for the MKR. Biggest issue it has that its old hat and no one remembers the name...the concept came out what? 4-5 years ago? Too far out, unless they are planning on reintroducing the MKR name as a concept this coming show season.

Something new is planned to be shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in August. An updated concept would fit well with the nature of the show.

• Like 1

Try six years ago-the MKR concept debuted in 2007. This is also not the first time they trademarked MKR; the first time was in '06, but it was allowed to expire in 2010.

The MKC trademark status is not new--it was registered in September, 2005, and allowed to expire in December, 2009.

Edit: I'm not a trademark (or any other kind of) attorney, but it looks like the "LINCOLN MKC" trademark was on that specific combination of words/letters; the "MKC" trademark (which is still active) should allow them more flexibility. And it's not like just anyone could go out and use LINCOLN MKC, anyway; I'm sure Lincoln has plenty of legal juice to squash that like a bug...

Edited by SoonerLS

:doh:

It's just old. Not like someone would look at an all-new MKS and say "Oh, that's an MKS? Nevermind." The MKZ was a "dud" before its redesign too.

Granted, it did sell better when it came out, but the MKZ sold well even before the new one came out despite people harping on it being a Fusion with a different grille. The new one is selling better, but the old one did just fine. The MKS was forgettable when it was new, the restyle did nothing, and the source car, the Taurus, in many ways is an equal to or better car for less money.

The MKZ was better in it's segment than the MKS was in its.

The MKZ was better in it's segment than the MKS was in its.

Considering the overall size of the midsize luxury market compared to the fullsize luxury market, that's very debatable. I actually want to say for some time the MKS actually had a significantly larger market share of its segment.

In the end, the problem now with the MKS is with the car, not the name. Fix the car and there's no need to change the name. No one makes any sense of the MK-Alphabet soup anyway, so the names are really pretty unimportant.

Edited by NickF1011

I just get a kick of giving it nicknames, MarKuS, MarKeT, MarKZee, MarKeX, now MarKeR, so now my friends are picking up on it "OH look it's that hideous Lincoln Market", soon it'll be "Look it's the new Marker"... ugghhh

Come on, We cant still be making fun of these names. every lux maker has these nomenclatures; Lincoln is definitely not the worst.

• Like 2

Actually yes I do think it's the worse, everyone else makes sense, Lincolns really doesn't. If they wanted to play "Mark" card thats fine, but at least use the euro influence and do the letters according to the size of vehicle. MkZ would make sense ot be the ultimate ubber sedan side wise, instead it's the smaller. C, D, E, S. Volvo made sense, S=Sedan, V=Wagon, XC=Cross Country, C= Coupe. And the number for the size series, 40/50/60/70/80/90. MB has series size, then engine size, but same as with BMW, it has sort of screwed up it's numbering process. 335 is not a 3.5L, but a TT 3.0-I-6, etc but it tells a story. Hell if Lincoln wanted to do LS (Luxury Sport) as it started to, then CS (Continental Sedan), TS Towncar Sedan, it would have flown and make sense. I just dont feel Lincoln totally thought it out.

Actually yes I do think it's the worse, everyone else makes sense, Lincolns really doesn't. If they wanted to play "Mark" card thats fine, but at least use the euro influence and do the letters according to the size of vehicle.

Well the problem was it wasn't well thought out to start with! The MKX makes sense as a Crossover with the X in it and MKS sorta makes sense since its biggest sedan they offer, but the MKX name was more or less forced fed due to the previous car being called Zephyr.

I'd avoid MKD...sounds like McDonalds...

Acura is the most confusing by replacing the TSX with ILX and RL with RLX, so I would assume the next TL will be a TLX???? Also, Infiniti just threw away the whole G-series' brief but illustrious history by calling it a Q now! That pissed me off as a former, proud G35 owner.

Edited by hbalek