I'd argue it looks better as is sits than the refreshed MKS or MKT.

Not a hard argument to make. The MKS and MKT refreshes look awful, IMO.

And I still can't believe how poorly they reconciled the physical airflow openings being smaller than the grill appliques:

2013_lincoln_mks-pic-227362652098921074.

And I still can't believe how poorly they reconciled the physical airflow openings being smaller than the grill appliques:

The Mustang since 2005 has had the same issue, but rarely does anyone take them to task about it and well the lighting on that photo is so blownout that it makes it easy to see them. Its harder to see in actual light.

And I'm also assuming some sort of crash regulation requires grills to survive impact at X speed, thus why what they do...

Edited by silvrsvt

The Mustang since 2005 has had the same issue, but rarely does anyone take them to task about it and well the lighting on that photo is so blownout that it makes it easy to see them. Its harder to see in actual light.

And I'm also assuming some sort of crash regulation requires grills to survive impact at X speed, thus why what they do...

The way the Mustang's grille is inset into the nose hides it a whole heck of a lot better. And I saw a new MKS sitting outside at the local Lincoln dealer last time I was there. The ugly grille opening was the very first thing I noticed in person. Unless it's night, you can see it.

I still say its not as bad as that photo makes it out to be...

...and I still think they look infinitely worse than the grilles they replaced. There just doesn't seem to be anything luxurious about the design. At least the previous iteration had some sort of sculpted or machined look to it, like a piece of jewelry.

And when comparing to the Mustang, let's also keep in mind: Mustang ≠ luxury car.

Edited by NickF1011

I hope it does... The 2011 MKX featured IMO the best scaled version of the MKR's face. I'd argue it looks better as is sits than the refreshed MKS or MKT.

...and I still think they look infinitely worse than the grilles they replaced. There just doesn't seem to be anything luxurious about the design. At least the previous iteration had some sort of sculpted or machined look to it, like a piece of jewelry.

And when comparing to the Mustang, let's also keep in mind: Mustang ≠ luxury car.

I'm right on board with both of you - I prefer the look of the old grilles to the new ones.

I think they just lack depth. The '13 MKZ doesn't have that problem.

Well, I think they tried to make it look more...sophisticated (?) with more, thinner slats (which, in my opinion, can give a more elegant, sophisticated look if done right), but the execution resulted in a design/look on both vehicles that doesn't blend/go all that well with the existing design, at least IMO.

And you're right - the way the slats look, they seem like an afterthought - almost "oh hey, we need to put something in here, lets throw some gray plastic vertical slats in," whereas on the original/previous model, you had a more detailed grille assembly, with as you said, more depth. Not only, that, the entire assembly didn't seem as forced onto it.

2011+Lincoln+M.jpg

2013-Lincoln-MKS-front-left-view.jpg

Edited by rmc523

Well, I think they tried to make it look more...sophisticated (?) with more, thinner slats (which, in my opinion, can give a more elegant, sophisticated look if done right), but the execution resulted in a design/look on both vehicles that doesn't blend/go all that well with the existing design, at least IMO.

And you're right - the way the slats look, they seem like an afterthought - almost "oh hey, we need to put something in here, lets throw some gray plastic vertical slats in," whereas on the original/previous model, you had a more detailed grille assembly, with as you said, more depth. Not only, that, the entire assembly didn't seem as forced onto it.

2011+Lincoln+M.jpg

2013-Lincoln-MKS-front-left-view.jpg

Furthermore, the 2013 restyle made the hood opening larger (especially noticeable at the area near the grille/headlights), and squished and stretched the grille so that it was shorter and wider, along with thinner headlamp assemblies. This resulted in a larger area to cover with slats (a reason you see the difference between the air opening and grille size). I don't know, it just seems like they took a design meant more for a smaller car and put it on the larger car, and it ended up not looking right.

I don't know, it just seems like they took a design meant more for a smaller car and put it on the larger car, and it ended up not looking right.

Does make me curious what kind of styling treatment they will use going forward on their larger vehicles. I don't think the MKZ-style grille would scale well on anything larger than, say, the MKX. I think the Navigator in particular poses an interesting challenge.

Does make me curious what kind of styling treatment they will use going forward on their larger vehicles. I don't think the MKZ-style grille would scale well on anything larger than, say, the MKX. I think the Navigator in particular poses an interesting challenge.

I have faith that Max will be able to create a fitting, expressive language for Lincoln's larger vehicles, particularly Navigator.

Remember how well the split wing look worked on the Mexican market 2009 Mark LT?

2010-lincoln-mark-lt-1-580x435.jpg

Here is my query....why do the grilles all have to have the same "look".....

They don't.

The "brand strategists" are obsessed with brand identity, but unfortunately, the designers are backed into a corner with certain "checklist" items that must be included with each design.

A good designer, with the trust and backing of his or her superiors, can absolutely create a lineup of vehicles that all have individual looks while carrying identifiable family traits.

We will know soon enough how long of a leash Max has been given. He certainly has the talent.

• Like 1

Here is my query....why do the grilles all have to have the same "look".....

I'm pretty sure Wolff indicated that Lincoln will, in fact, use different designs depending on the vehicle. I think they will have some kind of familiar look, but the executions could be pretty different.

I'm pretty sure Wolff indicated that Lincoln will, in fact, use different designs depending on the vehicle. I think they will have some kind of familiar look, but the executions could be pretty different.

Yeah, I recall him saying something along those lines as well.

What's being missed or not discussed are the cues from nature. Look at the front grill and headlights as outstretched hawk wings and the vertical slats in the grill as the feathers or bones of the wing. Form and function combined into one.

Edited by transitman

What's being missed or not discussed are the cues from nature. Look at the front grill and headlights as outstretched hawk wings and the vertical slats in the grill as the feathers or bones of the wing. Form and function combined into one.

Must be one ugly bird. :poke: