Next F150, Would You Prefer To See I-5 Diesel or Small V6 Ecoboost Option?

OK guys, if you're a product planner, which way does this work best, for the next F150,

Would You Prefer To See I-5 Diesel or Small V6 Ecoboost Option?

Does Ford back end the Transit's fuel efficient 3.2 I-5 Turbo diesel and 6R80 Auto into F150 as an option

or does Ford forge ahead with a revolutionary small Sub - 3.0 V6 in Ecoboost guise to give the next F150

great power and fuel economy that exceeds the 3.7 V6.....

Or does Ford do the unthinkable and deliver both options, completely circumventing the competition....

Edited by jpd80

As a product planner, I would strongly look at the I5 diesel. There are hardcore diesel fans out there that are willing to spend. The question is will the 14 Ram half ton with the VM diesel soak up that market? I would have a small Ecoboost tuned for economy and low end grunt in the program at intro, and push that - but I would also have certification of the I5 diesel underway so that if the market would support it (if Ram diesel sales showed a strong trend) it could be on the showroom floor quickly.

Personally, I would rather have the small EB gasser. Its bound to be cheaper and unless you are towing or hauling constantly it would take the diesel years to overcome the cost difference in fuel savings. One of my friends runs a glazing company and out of 6 trucks he has only 2 really do any real work on any consistent basis and those two get flogged. The biggest thing the other ones carry is a sack full of groceries but it would be nice to have a choice but my vote goes for EB.

I have noticed that both the 3.5 Ecoboost and the 3.2 Duratorq diesel will be available in the rear drive Transit. For my retirement years (lol) I dream of a nice little Class C Transit motor home to do some traveling in. Been thinking about those ever since I saw a bunch of them in Italy in 2007. For that application, I think, I would rather have the diesel. Can you imagine a 16,17 or even approaching 20 mpg motor home?

With all that being said would Ford be de-emphasizing their own marquis product, the Ecoboost powertrain, if they try to start marketing a small diesel along side it in an F150? I think it could be done but it would have to be marketed very carefully. Ford has a hit on its hands with the 3.5 Ecoboost technology, would hate to see them shoot theirselves in the foot by taking momentum away from what is already working very well.

Yeah that so true, Ecoboost 35 has basically displaced the need for a 6.2 V8 in F150 in anything but special applications like Raptor.

Makes me wonder just what is possible with further downsizing using the engine's full potential without fear of transmission limitations.

If they do offer the 3.2l, they will need to turn up the wick a little for F150 use. The Transit spec 200hp/350 ft/lbs doesn't compare favorably to the Ram diesel's 240hp/420ft/lbs.

It will be interesting to see what engines end up in the F150. They have a lot of options.

2.3 EB - With significant weight loss, this could be a possibility, at least in some single cab, 2wd configurations.

3.7l - The 2.3EB would probably make similar power to this, but the EB would have a broader powerband.

2.7EB - Good power and good economy. It could hit the sweet spot of the market.

3.5EB - Since they have a number of good economy choices, they can turn up the hp on the the 3.5 to keep their thumb on GMs 6.2.

5.0 - You have to offer a V8 - bump it a few hp just to give it a little more cushion above GM's 5.3.

3.2 Powerstroke - I think it would find buyers. I think gas engines will still be the major players, but there is a sizeable market for a diesel.

The 3.2L inline five diesel engine in Ford's portfolio would be a perfect match for F-150. :worship:

Regarding an additional Ecoboost engine option, I think Ford should fix the issues with the current 3.5L unit offered in F-150 before introducing a new one.

Can you credibly brand the 3.2L "Powerstroke?"

I don't think you want to feminize your half ton bread-winner with a 2.3L turbo too much.

If you think your manhood is endangered by 2.3L EB engine, you have serious issues....maybe you're thinking would change if you could get 25 MPG highway?

A fleet manager is more concerned about costs than anything else.

Why not both?

That's what I'm thinking--the heavy lifting for both engines should already be done, so tweaking them for truck duty is what's left. It's not necessarily going to be cheap, but it shouldn't be anywhere near as expensive as developing both engines from the ground up, and the F-Series market is big enough that even niche engines are going to have some significant uptake.

I would like to see both. I think there is a market for a diesel, but a lot depends on the cost. If they can keep the cost similar to the Ram entry, I think it will be fine. Many folks just HAVE to have a diesel, and it would be nice to keep those from going to a Ram. I really don't see a huge fuel economy gain over an EB, but the towing economy will be better. Of course, with the higher cost of diesel, the difference is about a wash.

I think there is a place for both of them, especially since the I5 will already be available on US soil in the Transit, and the additional cost to add it to the F150 should be minimal.

• Like 1

You don't want to take the same number of buyers and just split them between 2 drivetrains when one drivetrain would yield the same number of sales unless diesel yields a lot more profit.

True, but I think offering diesel will keep some buyers around. Many buy 3/4 ton trucks just for the diesel (must be an anatomy thing for some men), and many will switch to the Ram half ton just to get the diesel. Plus, there are many who tow travel trailers with their half tons, and with the right HP/torque numbers, this could be a great towing engine, while getting great fuel economy. I think that will attract a lot of buyers as well.

• Like 1

We'd have to see what the cost (to us) and performance (EPA mpg and hp/tq) numbers would be before really being able to say. Obviously a diesel would be preferable, as they actually get good mileage in real world use rather than testing at good mileage for bragging and EPA claims. Will be interesting to see what the Transit is rated at.

You don't want to take the same number of buyers and just split them between 2 drivetrains when one drivetrain would yield the same number of sales unless diesel yields a lot more profit.

With the F-Series volume and the fact that the 3.2L PowerStroke will be federalized for the Transit anyway, I wouldn't think offering both would be as big a deal as it would be in something like a Ranger. More options will keep more people buying F-Series.

• Like 3

I just don't see the 2.3L EB doing much better in a roughly 4-4.5K pound pickup than the 2.0 EB does in the Explorer. Sure, the 8 speed trans. will help, some, but....

I dont either...take rate on the eco Explorer here is ZERO......we dont even order the configuration, and even in the EDGE people 99% of the time opt for the 6........in an F series the least should be the upcoming 2.7 eco...IMO of course...

I have my doubts about a gasoline only F-150 line up hitting the internal FE target in order to achieve CAFE. So Ford will definitely sell the 3.2 I5 diesel in the new F-150. But it will for sure be marketed as a premium option... i.e. don't expect a regular cab XL diesel work truck as fleet buyers will not go for the price premium. I would expect the initial 2015 F-150 engine line up to mirror the Transit: 3.7 V6, 3.5 Ecoboost, and 3.2 diesel; plus the traditionalist 5.0 V8.

The 2.7 nano Ecoboost V6 is probably also a done deal but not for 2015 as it will need to debut in a Lincoln first. So figures 2016 or 2017.

I dont either...take rate on the eco Explorer here is ZERO......we dont even order the configuration, and even in the EDGE people 99% of the time opt for the 6.

Do you think if Ford pushes just I4 engines in the next gen Edge that will hurt sales?