Transmission Acting Up

Deej0401

Has anyone experienced there transmission "acting up." I was in some stop and go traffic a few days ago and I noticed when my transmission would shift from 2nd to 3rd, it was almost slipping, then when I would get going under somewhat heavy acceleration it felt like the car was kinda shuddering, like it would have power and then not have power then have power again repeatedly and very quickly. It felt like it was mainly in 4th gear. I am going to address it in the next week or so but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything like that.

Very similar condition to what I have been trying to get diagnosed. I've had a MAP sensor code and an "engine fault, service now" is the information display. The two times I have taken it in to the dealer they have not been able to find anything wrong.

In my case I doubt it is transmission related, but engine instead. When acting up however, it does behave very similar to what you describe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was in stop and go and experienced the same issue. The SA told me is was because of the adaptive programming. When the trans learned my driving style, it did not include that type of driving and there was nothing that could be done. I rarely if ever drive in rush hour/stop and go and the trans works fine under all other driving situations.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is related to my problem or not. When I started it up today it came on with the check engine light/message. It acted like the transmission was in limp mode (as I understand it). If I let off on the gas, the transmission acted like it disengaged totally and the RPM's dropped to below 1K (even at highway speed). Accelerating was like the reverse with the transmission hesitating before it engaged. Brought it to the dealer but had to shut it down before the could get a code. It had a P0106 (as mentioned in the above tsb). After restarting it the system check says everythings currently fine, seems to run ok, but the check engine light is still on. Bringing it in tomorrow to hopefully find out more.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is related to my problem or not. When I started it up today it came on with the check engine light/message. It acted like the transmission was in limp mode (as I understand it). If I let off on the gas, the transmission acted like it disengaged totally and the RPM's dropped to below 1K (even at highway speed). Accelerating was like the reverse with the transmission hesitating before it engaged. Brought it to the dealer but had to shut it down before the could get a code. It had a P0106 (as mentioned in the above tsb). After restarting it the system check says everythings currently fine, seems to run ok, but the check engine light is still on. Bringing it in tomorrow to hopefully find out more.
I had the entire TSB 13-7-5 done a week ago. A few days went by and seemed like all was well. Then I started up the vehicle and had the same message you speak of, "Engine Fault, Service Now". Like you said, it goes into limp mode. Turned the vehicle off and back on and it was back to normal.

I also have a surging and lack of engine power symptom that does not throw any codes or anything. I don't know if it's related, but the symptoms were identical to that described in the TSB. I'm very disappointed the TSB didn't fix either of the problems.

When it happens again I will be driving it to the dealer without shutting it off to get it diagnosed. Problem is I am done at work at 4:00 PM and it typically takes an hour to get to the dealer, which closes at 5. Frustrating.

Edited by schield

Interesting, in a bad way. I had it worked on today at the dealer and they did TSB 13-7-5 ("several splices"). I have practically no mileage on it since then, so I'll be hoping that it's been taken care of. Even if I don't have any more symptoms, I was wondering, what about 5-10 years down the line? Good luck with yours and let us know of any more news (as will I).

• 9 years later...

2017 titanium 1.5 l.  mine was shuddering, twice thunked pretty hard going into reverse and 2 times starting at a stop light.  Flushed transmission fluid as i was at 100k.  it was good for 2 days then a whirling sound and couldn't find gear.   Ive parked it, and looking for good repair places.  Got a company car to drive in mean time. 

i had the short block replaced under warranty due to coolant issue. 

I've had Fords since 1992.  I'm getting close to the end with Fords.