Clearcoat on black rims peeling :>(

sweez

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I'm part of the club now too. Only 8k and they're peeling.

It's not a good club to be in... Sorry.

I just got my second set of replacements installed two days ago. Not sure how many more times they will do this. If it happens again I will try and INSIST they give me the difference I paid for these and put on a set of regular mag wheels. I will use those for winter and buy a set of aftermarket black ones for summer.

I asked that when the second set peeled but the Ford regional rep said they could only replace them. They probably think I will get frustrated and go away, but they don't know how determined I can be. I will get another two sets before warranty expires at the rate of 4 months per set of wheels.

:)

Kind of doubt the "lemon law" would apply to this since not a safety issue, but not sure. I love the rest of the car.

It's going to effect the resale of the car tho. If I go to sell this at 3 years and 8 months with peeling wheels despite my best efforts to keep the car immaculate otherwise I'm going to lose money.

I know Ford warranties their parts for one year after replacement. So do we perpetually continue to replace these well after the 3yr/36k coverage since the warranty of the wheels surpasses that?

I have the same rims and the clear coat and some portion of the clear coat had peeled before 6,600 miles. Fast forward now I have 13,000 miles on the clear coat on one of the rims has begun to peel again. The Ford dealer says that I am supposedly the only one with this issue. This issue is becoming extremely frustrating! What happens after the warranty runs out? I am also having the sane issue with trip 2's gas mileage being the same as trip 1's in turn making trip 2 for gas mileage purposes completely obsolete.

My car is 7 months old and I have the black rims. I just washed my car and yup probably 35% of the clear is gone on all the wheels. I will have to go in next week and get it looked at. I wonder if ford would be willing to get the wheels powder coated? I doubt it but I would rather have true gloss black wheels than the black chrome look wheels. what a pain in the ass the car just turned 10000km's(6250 miles) and the wheels look like shit. the car is fantastic other than the wheel issue I'm having.

Hello guys/gals. This is my first post ever so be gentle.

I bought my Fusion in August 2013 with black rims and started to notice the peeling in October. I have not used anything on the rims except dish soap and water. I've been waiting for the first oil change before taking it in and that happened today. All four rims are now peeling. the service advisor says he has seen the occasional problem but never four wheels on one vehicle. Judging by the posts here that may not be true. They took pictures and I'm waiting to hear back.

Also having the same problem with my trip 2 gas calculation. I reset on the go while in neutral going down a steep hill and it tells me I'm getting 10 liters per 100 Km and I should be using half that.

Also am I the only one wondering why the heck a car of this level does not have a low windshield washer fluid warning?!

I agree. What I meant to say was the harshest chemical I've ever use to clean the car was dish soap prior to waxing. Other than that it's been autowash stations. I don't believe one use of dish soap should be enough to cause the clear coat to peel.

• 2 months later...

Interesting and sad as the technology behind this coating is both cutting edge and fascinating. After receiving a few calls on this issue over the past month I thought a couple of cents may help everyone understand. What I have seen is a inter-coat adhesion issue between the base paint and the vacuum applied metal layer prior to top coat. The variables behind why this may happen are many but completely solvable and avoidable if proper procedures arte followed. If I was to guess the supplier has solved the issue prior to even the initial failure. However it is likely that thousands of wheels were already in the pipeline and the dealerships are replacing wheels with wheels from the same large shipment (s) through the OEM's Service Parts channel. I am grateful that people like the unique finish of this new technology as there are only a handful of companies globally doing it, as it opens doors for the unlimited colors and finishes. FYI we did not coat the wheels, just in the industry.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2014 Fusion Titanium w/ these rims.

QUESTION: are the actual rims dark stainless or is the clearcoat coating the dark stain? What do the rims look like if the clearcoat coating is peeled off? Yes, probably strange questions, but I don't really understand. Any details you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Torino 1970

Torino has a Titanium (with what I'm guessing is the 19" H rims) which are different then the ones people are talking about in this thread. The 19" rims are dark stainless with I'm assuming clear coat on them. Those shouldn't have the same issue as these.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the rims are 19" dark stainless. What product(s) work well to clean the rims?

Has anybody had any issues with these rims?

As an aside, the Titanium is a great car. A lot to learn with all the electronics, but worthy safety-related features.

• 3 months later...

Here we go again....

Not sure if I will even bother but my third set (original and two replacement) are starting to peel. Lasted the longest this time since I didn't drive it much this summer and rode my bike instead. Still under warranty and was end of December when last replaced. Still no chemicals used to clean for those that are about to ask.

Thinking I might just get snows mounted to these POS wheels and buy some other black (and maybe chrome accent) wheels with new summer tires on them come Spring in NH.

I feel like I should hold Ford to their quality pledge, but not sure it's worth the aggravation.

thoughts?

• 1 month later...

So, just to update. Regional Ford customer care rep says I am the "only one" with these issues. They decline to allow me to e-mail them a link to the many others with the black luxury rims peeling. My dealer has been great. They are currently trying to get Ford to give me the grey version "Hyper Silver actually" of this same rim - I don't really care at this point since grey is better than looking like my car has leprosy. Ford is saying they can only be replaced with what came on the car so far, but after original set and three replacements, you'd think they'd do the math and realize how much they are spending.

Car up to 19,000 and still love it save the stupid wheels. Not real impressed with the mileage I've gotten out of stock tires either but I will eat that $$.

All I can say is to keep pressing for a resolution. Sooner or later they can't keep saying that each of us is the only one with the problem.

Actually I think there is some liability/compliance issues that Ford has to abide by with regards to wheel replacements. But they should at least refund the cost of the wheels so you can replace them yourself.

If you like the wheels have you looked into having them stripped and re-clearcoated aftermarket?

If it were me, I would try to get them re-coated. It's still cheaper than buying new alloys. Most dealers use someone locally to repair alloy wheels. They typically have mobile units that come to dealerships (or your home) to do repairs. Ask your dealer to have the repair folks look at your wheels and see what they say about fixing them.

This is the company I have used in Charlotte several times to fix the wheels on my last car and when they were done you couldn't tell anything was ever wrong with them. http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/charlotte/

• 4 weeks later...

2014 Fusion with the same black high gloss wheels. New in May 2014, December now, haven't even driven in the snow. I do get my car washed once/month, touchless. I spoke with the car wash manager, he said they only use soap, no chemicals. The car gets hand dried after each wash.

All four wheels have peeling clearcoat. Each wheel to a different degree, but very similar.

It came to my attention when I went to have a low tire fixed and they discovered the wheel is cracked from the edge to the center of the rim (hidden by the tire). No visible damage (chips, scratches or dents) at the origin of the crack. Ford dealer sent photos to Ford and it was immediately declined. The dealer did not address the clear coat issue with Ford, only the crack. That starts tomorrow.

Rolling on a donut, hoping to get this resolved quick.

The cracked wheel is $ 1070.00 - Ouch. Never even hit a pothole. Car has 26K miles on it.

Edited by MattMillerTime

This issue has been on going. We have had 2-3 different fusions with this wheel problem. I know of a couple that the wheels have been replaced twice. I would definitely argue that fact if they declined repair. They know this is a issue. Its not acceptable to decline wheel replacement when this issue has started showing up all over.