Ford Mustang GT500 successor spied near SVT

Guess I'm a dieing breed, as I still read the manual cover to cover after vehicle purchases. Sure sometimes it's better than Tylenol PM for putting you to sleep, but some good info can be found.

Otherwise, how much would it really cost Ford/Shelby to put race spec brake fluid in the GT500 from the factory? I think that would be a wise decision on their part. Problem is if the owner doesn't read that manual you all talk about, when it's time to drain the fluid, they may simply put plain fluid back in. At least at that point it's on the consumer not the manufacturer.

My guess is that it is not a cost measure, but how the cars are typically driven. I'm sure there are properties of race-spec brake fluid that make it less than desirable for the everyday user driving on the street. And, since I would venture to guess that most GT500's are street queens, it's safer to put standard DOT fluid in it than having the owners unaware of the differences of the brake fluid.

Or, it could be DOT regulations, too. Maybe race-spec fluid isn't DOT approved?

My guess is that it is not a cost measure, but how the cars are typically driven. I'm sure there are properties of race-spec brake fluid that make it less than desirable for the everyday user driving on the street. And, since I would venture to guess that most GT500's are street queens, it's safer to put standard DOT fluid in it than having the owners unaware of the differences of the brake fluid.

Or, it could be DOT regulations, too. Maybe race-spec fluid isn't DOT approved?

Race-spec fluid actually exceeds DOT regs but the one thing you cannot do is mix fluid types. I could also see the factory accidentally putting in regular fluid instead of race-spec fluid or more likely an unknowing consumer who doesn't bother to read the OM doing it.

If the owner wants to take it to the track, they can easily swap the fluid themselves.

Race-spec fluid actually exceeds DOT regs but the one thing you cannot do is mix fluid types. I could also see the factory accidentally putting in regular fluid instead of race-spec fluid or more likely an unknowing consumer who doesn't bother to read the OM doing it.

If the owner wants to take it to the track, they can easily swap the fluid themselves.

Sure it exceeds DOT regs, but is it DOT legal? You know how DOT is: "sure it's better, but you can't use it here." (Just sayin...)

You do make a great point on mixing fluids.

Sure it exceeds DOT regs, but is it DOT legal? You know how DOT is: "sure it's better, but you can't use it here." (Just sayin...)

You do make a great point on mixing fluids.

That just means it can get a DOT rating - 3, 4 or 5 and as long as it's DOT 3, 4 or 5 then it's legal. DOT doesn't place any restrictions on which type of fluid can be used - they leave it up to the vehicle mfr.

Ford should perform that switch the next time any rag reviews the GT500 because every single one of them complains about the brakes after 2 laps.

well, judging from the size of the stoppers in this spy shot, i feel some of the gripes have been adressed.....no matter WHAT type of fluid is utilized.....so, complaint 1...CHECK, complaint too SRA....CHECK....size.....CHECK.....weight.....CHECK.....hmmm, Fords been listening?.....

• Like 2

I might be reading way too much into this but IMO, there will be a new HP NA engine to take up the Boss mantle maybe Cobra Jet..

And the S/C 5.0 development done by Ford Performance vehicles and FoA is now in the hands of Ford NA - all the reliability testing

has been done and validated, the next extension was to be Interconnecting. The power plant is easily capable of 500 hp at the rear wheels.

Edited by jpd80

Does GM need to perform that switch when the ZL1 is tested?

1/5

From the ZL1 website:

ZL1 is equipped with a Brembo
®
brake system with massive 14.6" front rotors. It is considered world-class in the high-performance luxury vehicle niche.
The unique two-piece design provides excellent fade resistance and is engineered to stand up to repeated high-speed stops
. Huge 6-piston monoblock calipers are asymmetrically laid out in the front, with four pistons in the rear. Brake cooling ducts route air from the fascia to the rotor and caliper.

I should have added that the next Mustang's suspension has been redesigned to accept the 21" diameter wheels and larger brakes like ZL1 uses...

Edited by jpd80

Come on guys,you all are usually smarter than this.

EVERY car needs to swap brake fluid if the owner plans on going to the track. I believe the issues are price and longevity with the high temp track stuff, but there could be other factors.

Every car my friends and I've raced including a ZL1 have all needed better fluid (and also pads - stock pads ALWAYS suck for the track)

On the subject, this thing looks good! Hopefully the suspension upgrades can close the gap with the ZL1's magnetic setup.

^ how about 6-9" of padded camo on the rear?

No, the brake lights don't seem to be that far in, so they're not making the trunk longer. I am also looking at where the roof ends in relation to the rear wheel. My 2005 seems to have a roof that reaches further back. If you are saying the 6-9 inches of padding was added to the top of the trunk lid, that may account for a lot of that effect, but the roof would either have to end abruptly just behind the rear seats, or would have a real radical slope so is almost flush with the trunk just behind the wheels in order for the padding to hide it.

Or it's a convertible being tested.