Uh Oh, Another Issue w/my new 2014 MKZ

I hope this isn't the start of a series of problems with my 3 week old car.

Yesterday, I was starting to back out of a parking space and the rear parking sensor starts beeping like crazy even though there was absolutely nothing around. Then there was kind of a "galunk" sound and the car shut off. The little wrench icon showed up on the dash and it said "See Manual". When I tried to restart, the "P" button kept flashing and the car wouldn't start. I was sort of panicked by this time so I don't remember everything I did but eventually after pressing the start button multiple times and trying to put it in D, P, and R in various sequences, it finally started. After about a minute or so, the wrench disappeared and did not return during the 15 minute trip home.

When I got home, all the manual said was to take it to an authorized dealer.

Anyone seen anything like this? When I first got it, the rear parking stuff seemed to work okay but lately, it seems to sense things that are not there making me skittish about backing up at all. I checked the manual and online but have not yet seen anything about what does the flashing "P" (park button) mean.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Our car is almost 4 months old (2013 MKZ) and has been in the shop about 43 days total. Multiple times with multiple issues (some of which have not been fixed). Take it to a dealer and insist you get the proper paper work. Make sure they document everything you are taking the car there for. Check the accuracy of the details when you get your car back. Insist you get paperwork. Do not let them make excuses for not giving you any. Oh, take plenty pictures and videos of everything going wrong. Then they can say they cannot duplicate the problem but at least you have proof of the issues. Good luck!

• Like 1

My '13 MKZ is about 5 months old and it's been to the shop just one day for the scheduled maintenance. I've experienced the beeps from the backup sensor when nothing is there. I think it's just a little oversensitive. Only happens once in awhile to me, and it's never not beeped when something is there. The flashing P may have been that you didn't quite have the brake pedal depressed when you tried to turn it back on or you didn't wait for the "ok to drive" message on the left MFD. That's happened to me a few times a few times. At that point it's in accessory mode only and doesn't allow you to drive forward or backward (although I think the lights still change out of P when you press one of the gear buttons, which is confusing). Easiest thing is to turn the car off and turn it back on (pausing a second or two between each step for it to fully turn off and fully turn back on).

That being said, the car turning off on its own while backing up, the "galunk" sound and the wrench icon are troubling, and you should bring it in for that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

I haven't seen any recurrence of the shutting off or the wrench so I'm still in monitoring mode.

The flashing P may have been that you didn't quite have the brake pedal depressed when you tried to turn it back on or you didn't wait for the "ok to drive" message on the left MFD.

You may be right. As I said, I was kinda panicking so I probably didn't wait like I should.

It's still beeping at nothing. My concern here is that I'm starting to ignore it which defeats the purpose of having it at all.

I've had my 2013 MKZ Hybrid since the beginning of April, the only issue I have had so far is that the crash sensors would go off for no reason, even if I was the only car on the road for 1/4 mile. While it was in for the reporgramming I had them check the sensors. They told me they didn't find anything but just to be sure they recalibrated them and I haven't had an issue since.

• Like 1