Ouch! Peeling Fusion doorhandle cuts me deep.

**I started to put this in the Fusion subforum, but since these units are used in multiple vehicles, I decided to place it here**

Yesterday, when i arrived at my son's babysitter after picking my daughter at school, I noticed a sharp pain as soon as I opened my drivers side door from inside the car. I looked and my finger was bleeding like crazy. A little investigation found that the chrome coating on my Fusion's interior door handle had peeled up on the top of the handle, creating a razor-like edge. When I slid my hand over the handle after it was open, it sliced a quarter-sized crescent into the top of my middle finger. The cut extends from under my last joint all the way up to the top of my nail.

I called our dealer's service dept manager, who said that he did not believe this would be covered under any sort of warranty (I'm on a Ford ESP right now; my Fusion has 60k on the clock so bumper-to-bumper is long gone).

Has anybody else had this problem with this particular unit? I know these handles were used in Fusion/Milan/MKZ and Edge/MKX.

Pic attached... a little blurry, but you can see the appearance of wrinkling where the edge has lifted the furthest.

I know that GM had to recall some SUVs because of a similar issue, but I wasn't able to find anything else about this happening in a Ford.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/100609-NHTSA-Investigates-GM-s-Finger-slicing-Door-Handles/

post-27660-0-03817500-1380293230_thumb.jpg

Edited by PREMiERdrum

I actually had that happen on my '04 Sonata on the interior handle of the passenger door. Since it was way out of warranty, I snipped it as close as I could and shaved it down. No clue how it was like that as I'm the only one who uses the car at all. I found it one day when I was doing my yearly cleaning of the car. Surprising how that can happen on a part that is known to come into contact with someone's flesh on a daily basis.

I figured it was a freak thing, I watch the boards pretty closely and haven't seen anybody else with the problem. I might try another dealer to see if they'll fix it under warranty.

In the meantime, a quick reach into my "percussion-instructors-have-to-carry-damnnear-everything" bag produced some gray electrical tape which has covered the hazard for now.

• Like 1

I figured it was a freak thing, I watch the boards pretty closely and haven't seen anybody else with the problem. I might try another dealer to see if they'll fix it under warranty.

In the meantime, a quick reach into my "percussion-instructors-have-to-carry-damnnear-everything" bag produced some gray electrical tape which has covered the hazard for now.

So you don't want the tape to be a permanent fix? :)

Edited by 2005Explorer

My wife has an 09 Milan Premier with 36, 000mi. A few weeks ago she complained about the exact same thing only the sharp edge is on the inside edge of the handle. It cannot be seen like yours but it sure can be felt. I found and ordered an oem replacement handle on eBay and should be getting it anyday. HMM! I wonder if there is a pattern starting with these. The Milan and the Fusion both have the exact same handle! Should Ford be contacted on this issue?

• 8 months later...

I've had the same problem with my 2009 Fusion.

Both the driver and passenger side handles have cut members of our family. I've trimmed the offending "chrome" more than once too. It seems that wrapping the handle with electrical tape works best (without replacing the handle, at least).

The driver's handle just broke, so hopefully the replacement will be problem free.

I reported the exact same problem with my 09 Milan a month or so ago. I did it in the Fusion section as they don't have one for Milan anymore! Some sarcastic SOB more or less told me to "suck it up" because I had plans to go to the NTSB with this! BOTH front handles pealed and drew blood within a month of each other. The dealer told me no dice on a TSB as I was out of warranty at 40K miles. Now I am hit with another Milan, Fusion, MKZ problem that is pretty well known with the sunroof problems. No TSB and $1300 for repairs!! To hell with it! If I want open air riding, I'll just drop the top on my dependable 2000 Mustang GT!

• 2 years later...

I have an '09 Edge and this just happened to me yesterday. Middle finger, about cut the pad of my finger off. It seems to have split at the top and started peeling down the back so I didn't see it. Sliced the ultimate paper cut, ouch is right!! Wonder if they ever decided to replace these.

My co-worker's 2009 Fusion had the passenger handle peel a couple of years ago at about 30-35 k. It looks like he peeled off most of the offending bits, and hasn't bothered to tape it.

After reading this thread, I'm always careful when using it, if he drives when the group goes out to lunch! ;-)

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

• 6 months later...