GM in panic after yesterday sales numbers

jasonj80

GM must have lost more share than what anticipated last month with sales.

GM Reacts To Chevy Sales Drop; New Silverado, New Malibu Get Cash

http://www.autonews.com/article/20131001/RETAIL01/310019946/gm-rolls-out-deals-on-new-pickups-as-sales-slide#ixzz2gZpgRr5P

GM adds aunts, uncles, cousins to enhanced employee-pricing program

GM has rolled out a more generous U.S. employee and retiree discount program that expands special pricing to workers' aunts, uncles and other extended family. The new program, introduced Tuesday, also offers bigger discounts to employees and retirees who already were eligible - http://crainnewsalerts.com/portal/wts/ccmcjuuekcE6eeBCnqi8g8zaiDfVDTc-qHYieViXUYm (Subscription Required)

Edited by jasonj80

Conversely, if Ford knew they were within 2k units of GM------I would not have been opposed to an isolated bit of gamesmanship, and juicing the sales numbers to top GM for the first time since 1927. Just because it would cause chaos and generate a fair bit of 'well how about that!' media coverage.

Ford beat GM in March 2011, it really is amazing to me how far GM sales have fallen. I never thought that Ford would be within 2K units. The local dealers are also full of the new pickups.

Conversely, if Ford knew they were within 2k units of GM------I would not have been opposed to an isolated bit of gamesmanship, and juicing the sales numbers to top GM for the first time since 1927. Just because it would cause chaos and generate a fair bit of 'well how about that!' media coverage.

Perhaps Ford is confident that it will become a more regular occurence in the future, in which case there's no reason to go out of their way to juice the numbers just for one month.

Ford beat GM in March 2011, it really is amazing to me how far GM sales have fallen. I never thought that Ford would be within 2K units. The local dealers are also full of the new pickups.

They did? How come I missed all the noise? Maybe there wasn't any noise.

One effect of GM's rapid loss of sales was the number of retirees per vehicle sold vs. Ford. It was a competitive advantage for Ford (and, of course, the imports) before the bankruptcy. It shouldn't be anymore.

Edited by RichardJensen

Think about it. 2000 units. The Lincoln MKC will most likely contribue at least that much per month.

Assuming the Escape doesn't have to fall that much. Is there room to build 2k additional units at KTP?

But, with the Fusion coming online at FRAP, it will definitely be enough to push Ford over the top.

Edited by fordmantpw

Assuming the Escape doesn't have to fall that much. Is there room to build 2k additional units at KTP?

But, with the Fusion coming online at FRAP, it will definitely be enough to push Ford over the top.

Good question. Either way, there's still room for growth in Ford's upcoming vehicle plans. I'd sure hope the new Mustang and F-150 will see a bump in volume as well.

The key is for Ford's plants to keep working flat out during the slower months and build up inventory,

normally that would be counter productive to profitability but in this instance Ford is struggling to

replenish existing inventory levels, more stock would give then a better buffer and breathing space.