New Cummins V-8

Fleet Owner / October 3, 2013

Cummins today unveiled its new ISV5.0, a new 5-liter V8 diesel that extends the engine maker’s range to cover various North American commercial light- and medium-duty vehicle applications, up through Class 5 GVW ratings, with a powerplant that the company said is engineered to “deliver performance and a low total cost of ownership”.

The engine will soon be available as an option in the Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra.

Cummins said the ISV5.0 will be aimed at customers in the U.S. and Canada and will be certified to the near-zero NOx and PM emissions levels required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

At launch— slated for the fourth quarter of next year— the engine will also meet federal greenhouse gas (GHG) requirements through 2016 as well as 2015 Air Resources Board (ARB) standards, including on-board diagnostics.

Applications for the new engine will include step vans and medium-duty trucks as well as school buses and Class A RVs that had typically been spec’ed with gasoline-fueled engines.

“Cummins ISV5.0 creates new opportunities for our OEM customers as a compact and lightweight engine that delivers best-in-class fuel efficiency and total cost of ownership,” stated Dave Crompton, vice president and general manager - Engine Business.

“Many of our OEM customers have asked for a Cummins alternative for gasoline or other small-displacement automotive diesel engines,” he continued. “The ISV5.0 represents the next dimension in fuel economy and performance as Cummins continues to broaden our on-highway product line.”

Crompton said the engine has been designed to easily fit where a comparable V8 or V10 gasoline engine was previously installed.

He explained that multiple front-end accessory drive options handle the common automotive accessories required by a wide spectrum of applications, including the alternator, air compressor, A/C compressor and hydraulic pump. Crompton noted that these available options “coupled with Cummins integration expertise minimize OEM engineering time and vehicle retooling costs. Together, the OEM and Cummins complete a rigorous installation quality assessment, ensuring that the highest-quality product is delivered to our mutual customers.”

A key design goal for the ISV5.0 was to deliver “maximum durability in a lightweight package” as well as to ensure “excellent” excellent noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) characteristics.

To provide that durability, the engine boasts a compacted graphite iron (CGI) cylinder block, forged steel crankshaft, high-strength aluminum alloy heads and composite valve covers. Per Cummins, those features along with dual overhead camshaft, contribute to the engine’s MVH performance.

Crompton also pointed out that high-injection pressures from the latest Bosch High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) fuel system and piezo fuel injectors provide precise fuel control for optimized in-cylinder combustion. He said that leads to better fuel efficiency and reduced emissions.

With multiple injection events driven by integrated electronic controls, the HPCR fuel system along with the Cummins VGT Variable Geometry Turbocharger “contributes to a very impressive peak torque of 560 lb-ft and quick throttle response. Ratings from 200 to 275 horsepower will be available.

“This engine delivers torque where you live vs. what is capable from a gasoline engine,” pointed out Mike Taylor, director—custom engineering. “The result is lower engine speeds, which males driving less tiring and more productive for the operator. And the ISV5.0 provides a lower total cost of ownership due to its better fuel efficiency versus a gasoline engine and its expected higher resale value.”

Other key features of the ISV5.0 include:

• An advanced ceramic glow plug system for us in cold weather that significantly reduces start time and electrical current draw, reducing vehicle charging system requirements. The ceramic glow plugs are designed to last the life of the engine, with no maintenance.
  • A two-stage fuel filter system that features the latest NanoNet media from Cummins Filtration to ensure that the HPCR fuel system is fully protected against fuel contamination. NanoNet's unique construction provides lower fuel-flow restriction and traps greater than 99% of all particles as small as 4 microns.
  • A high-efficiency coalescing filter for eliminating crankcase hydrocarbon emissions and oil mist, further adding to the clean-engine credentials of the ISV5.0.
  • Proven air handling and emissions control technology that draws on Cummins extensive emissions technology expertise. Cummins VGT Turbocharger, cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and Cummins Emission Solutions Aftertreatment System, featuring a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), result in near-zero oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) emissions while delivering better performance and fuel economy.

“Cummins has integrated the latest technologies in the ISV5.0 to deliver performance, fuel efficiency and durability in a highly sociable package,” remarkedJim Katzenmeyer, executive engineer – V8 Program. “Every day, drivers will appreciate the smooth, quiet operation of the ISV5.0

“In addition,” he continued, “the fuel savings offered by the ISV5.0 compared to gasoline engines will result in fewer greenhouse gas emissions– a great environmental benefit.”

“The support of this engine will easily be integrated into Cummins distributors and authorized dealer shops, and into customer operations with fleets that are running the broad range of dependable Cummins power,” noted Jeff Jones, vice president - North American Engine Business.

As for the sales outlook on an engine that will enter production roughly a year from now, Jeff Caldwell, general manager - Pickup Truck Business, told FleetOwner that he “expects that OEMs will all dip a toe in this [the ISV5.0} to offer it. We know that with is engine, we’ll deliver a lower installed cost for OEMs and a lower total cost of ownership compared to gasoline engines as well as better NVH performance. And that NVH factor is a big benefit—this engine is quite, a real whisperer.”

The ISV5.0 will be manufactured at Cummins’ Columbus, Indiana engine plant.

Reply to this topic

photo-thumb-1625.jpg?_r=0

I saw a press release a while back from Nissan on this being offered in the next generation of the Titan. I also expect to see it in the NV full size vans. Have not heard or seen anything about Toyota. I can also see this for school bus applications, but I do not know what chassis builder would pick this up. With International now using Cummins engines in some applications, I could see them using it to replace their V8 diesel in school bus chassis to save the time and money needed to develop the replacement / update for their V8. I have heard rumblings for the last 5 or 6 years from Cummins on this engine, looks as if it has gotten the go ahead.

Ford and GM will need to rethink their "what if" diesel contingency plans.

Maybe. I'd like to see a diesel F-150/Expedition/Navigator as much as anyone, but Ford shelved their planned small-displacement diesel for a reason. I'm more inclined to believe that the leader in the market knows what's up than do the distant wishing-they-were-also-rans.

Only if Nissan and Toyota can manage to sell more than a paltry number of pickup trucks. Still plenty of time for GM and Ford to react to any changes to the segment this may bring.

And if absolutely necessary, Ford currently has the 4.4L in production for Range Rover. The 3.2L I5 will be in the Transit. Plenty of options for Ford if a diesel becomes necessary.

• Like 1

Only if Nissan and Toyota can manage to sell more than a paltry number of pickup trucks. Still plenty of time for GM and Ford to react to any changes to the segment this may bring.

I was curious, so I looked up the Tundra and Titan September sales figures. With the exception of Ford's Heavy Trucks, every Ford model outsells the Titan--even the PI and PIU beat it. Hell, even the MKZ and and MKX beat it, and the forlorn Navigator gives it a run for its money. The Titan's sales are in the crapper, too--while Ford and DodgeRam are seeing 20%+ sales increases year-over-year, Titan sales YTD are down 20% over the same period last year--so Nissan really has nothing to lose by trying to find diesel sales.

Toyota isn't doing a whole lot better with the Tundra; Ford sold just over 60K F-Series in September, and the Tundra just broke 81K for the year.

If you combine the annual sales of the Titan and Tundra, they don't amount to two months' worth of F-Series sales, so even if the diesel versions make a big splash, I'm not sure they'll move the needle enough for Ford to notice. What Ram does with its diesel, though--that, I think, is more likely to get some attention in Dearborn.

• Like 1

What Ram does with its diesel, though--that, I think, is more likely to get some attention in Dearborn.

Agreed. I don't think you're really going to add much in the half-ton realm by putting a high HP/torque diesel in the truck with a several thousand dollar premium over a gasser. The benefits just aren't there, because by the time you feed all that HP, you aren't going to have much better fuel economy than what the EB can offer.

Now, if you can grab quite a few more MPGs with an engine like the Ram has, at a low additional cost, then it may sway some buyers. I just don't think there is enough of an advantage over the EB with a diesel in a half ton to sell enough to make it worth while.

• Like 2

Mpg would be the only advantage I see. At some point a 1/2 ton is only going to be able to tow so much. These engines will get them even with competitors in that segment, but $3-5k mark-up for MPG is silly to me. Even if I was towing at max in a 1/2 ton I wouldn't do it. I'd just go into a SD at that point. I read that they claim the 5.0 diesel will be more cost effective?? How so? The fuel is 20-50 cents more per gallon and maintenance intervals are sooner and cost more. Then they say resale.... well you did pay a hell of a lot more for the truck, I'd hope you can resale it for more.

Edited by Hydro
  • Like 3

this 5.0 will completely smoke the 3.0 Italian diesel in the Ram.

Ford and GM will need to rethink their "what if" diesel contingency plans.

I don't know about GM but I think Ford's "what it" contingency plan are pretty solid. They have the 4.4 diesel sitting on the side line ready to go. It was engineered to meet EPA emission standards for 2015.

Chrysler was going to use the Cummins 5.0 for Ram but they decided to go with the Fiat 3.0 V6 because Cummins couldn't deliver 26 MPG. Basically, in the short term, Ford is still going to kick everyone's butt with 3.5 Ecoboost offering the best combination of MPG and torque. In the long run, diesel in F-150 is inevitable because the 2017 CAFE will likely snuff out large gasoline engines.

It comes back to what mix of fuel economy and performance half ton truck buyers expect

and that could be different combinations across the different makes.

I think that Ford knows it F150 market well and will choose to make greater strides with gasoline fuel economy

via Ecoboost tech before ever considering a diesel in the F150, a hybrid may not be out of the question either

That's not too bad, but it basically makes EB power. I want to see if it really achieves 30 mpg with regens and real world driving.

I think it's rated at 30 mpg in the Jeep GC, so I wouldn't expect that in the Ram. 28 maybe? At any rate, at the current cost of diesel fuel hear, it would have to be rated at 27 mpg to equal the EB in cost per mile (fuel only). And it makes 125 less HP than EB, though the torque is close.

Personally, I think Cummins is dreaming. Outside of Nissan, who is going to buy it? Maybe PACCAR decides to go into class 4 and 5 (not likely)? International closes their engine operations (more likely, but still.....). The trend is to proprietary engines. Nissan being a weak player can't justify engineering and tooling up their own diesel for the Titan, so there you go.

Personally, I think Cummins is dreaming. Outside of Nissan, who is going to buy it? Maybe PACCAR decides to go into class 4 and 5 (not likely)? International closes their engine operations (more likely, but still.....). The trend is to proprietary engines. Nissan being a weak player can't justify engineering and tooling up their own diesel for the Titan, so there you go.

It sounds like Cummins is not going to be exclusive with anybody on this engine. I found it interesting that they mentioned this as a replacement for gas V8 and V10 in the press release. Maybe even Ford will use it in their medium chassis trucks like the F650/F750 and F53/F59.

• Like 1

It sounds like Cummins is not going to be exclusive with anybody on this engine. I found it interesting that they mentioned this as a replacement for gas V8 and V10 in the press release. Maybe even Ford will use it in their medium chassis trucks like the F650/F750 and F53/F59.

You are right, Cummins would like to sell this thing to as many OEM's as possible. I just don't think they are going to be too successful at it. It could probably be used in the F-650, but (FWIW) I heard Ford very much wants the 6.7L Powerstroke in those trucks.

Maybe. I'd like to see a diesel F-150/Expedition/Navigator as much as anyone, but Ford shelved their planned small-displacement diesel for a reason. I'm more inclined to believe that the leader in the market knows what's up than do the distant wishing-they-were-also-rans.

Their small displacement diesel engine is now the 5 cylinder 3.2L which will be certified for US us in the full size Transit.

I'm not the only one who thinks it would fit nicely in an F150.

I think one reason the 4.4L never made it into the F150 was concern that it would take away some of the "thunder" from the 3.5L EcoBoost. Now that EcoBoost has full penetrated the pickup market, there is room for a diesel.

• Like 1

You are right, Cummins would like to sell this thing to as many OEM's as possible. I just don't think they are going to be too successful at it. It could probably be used in the F-650, but (FWIW) I heard Ford very much wants the 6.7L Powerstroke in those trucks.

If Ford wants to put their Powerstroke in those chassis, they have a lot of work to do the the hp/torque department !

• Like 1

Pure speculation on my part, but look at the demographic that buys the Tundra and Titan? Construction crews? Manufacturing? Fleet buyers? Don't know but looks not so much. If we assume it's mostly individuals then who's going to buy the diesel in that demo? Sure the media and "public" will say that want it, but who's going to buy it? Not the retired old white guy that drives to the lake on the weekend pulling a 2500# boat and trailer. Not the young guy who buys it to take to college because Toyota's have "good resale". I would guess the take rate on the 5.0 diesel would be so low that they'll drop it within 5 years. 5.0 is not really that small compared to a 6.something straight six cummins and the 6.7 fords. don't know what duramax displacement is. I think Ford is onto something with the I5. Hopefully they prove it in the Transit and can make a smooth transition to offering in F 150/Expy within2-3 years....if the market demands it.

If Ford wants to put their Powerstroke in those chassis, they have a lot of work to do the the hp/torque department !

Wiz- I do believe the PStroke has a lot more HP/Torque than do a lot of the 6.7 Cummins versions currently offered in 650/750. No way could I see that 5.0 Cummins V-8 as an option in a 650/750. From a business perspective why would you go against yourself? I thought the only reason the PS hasn't been offered now is because of availability?

Their small displacement diesel engine is now the 5 cylinder 3.2L which will be certified for US us in the full size Transit.

I'm not the only one who thinks it would fit nicely in an F150.

I'm just saying that they shelved the plans for a small diesel in the F150, not that they dropped small diesels. I'm sure they're constantly evaluating the market, and if they think the ROI is there, they'll shove a diesel under the F150's hood (and they might even hook it up ;) ), but I don't think Toyota or Nissan are significant enough players to influence Ford.
I think one reason the 4.4L never made it into the F150 was concern that it would take away some of the "thunder" from the 3.5L EcoBoost. Now that EcoBoost has full penetrated the pickup market, there is room for a diesel.
That's possible, but it seems more likely that their performance is too similar and that Ford already had a commitment to EB that meant they could churn them out in the volume needed for the F150 and/or they figured that the potential market for EB-powered F150s was the larger of the two.