MKZ Cool feature - automatically goes into Park...

BE REAL CAREFUL if you try this...

I recently watched a kinda so-so vid with 3 guys driving around in a new MKZ, doing a review.

They mentioned that the MKZ automatically goes into Park if you exit the car while it's Drive.

Hmmmmm... this caught my attention.

Maybe lots of cars have this feature, but it was news to me.

So, with the car in a parking lot, slight uphill grade, car not moving or just BARELY creeping, if at all.

Opened the door, put my left foot on the pavement and unweighted the seat, and clunk! it immediately went from Drive into Park by itself.

There was no drama whatever, I WAS CAREFUL.

Please take my word for it.

It does work,

But this test could go South in a heartbeat, PLEASE DO NOT DO IT.

yet another "surprise & delight" of the MKZ Hybrid.

Karl

I think the triggr is opening the door not any weight sensor. I've noticed this a few times when exiting a car wash and at a low rate of speed opening my car door (as compared to rolling down the window) to hand an attendent a ticket; the car is forced into park.

Opening the door is the key. This is designed, I'm told, as a safety feature. However, if you do not want to have the car go into Park automatically, just hit the N (Neutral) button twice before you open the door, and the vehicle will not lock into Park. It will stay in Neutral so you can coast. This feature is addressed in the Owner's manual.

Edited by exploder48

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely HATE THIS! If I'm trying to park in the garage and open the door without my seat belt on so I can lean out the door and look at where my wheels are, it slams ungracefully into park like hitting a wall. Can't be too good fro the transmission. If you leave your seat belt on it doesn't do that but it's hard to lean out the door to watch your parking in a garage when your seat belt is on. Seems like this is the only car that does this. Don't like it one bit.

I absolutely HATE THIS! If I'm trying to park in the garage and open the door without my seat belt on so I can lean out the door and look at where my wheels are, it slams ungracefully into park like hitting a wall. Can't be too good fro the transmission. If you leave your seat belt on it doesn't do that but it's hard to lean out the door to watch your parking in a garage when your seat belt is on. Seems like this is the only car that does this. Don't like it one bit.

:idea: Stop the car when you open the door to look.

...or do as I do and hang something on a string from the ceiling so your windshield taps it (or make a mark on the wall that lines up with the side mirror, etc) when it's at the right depth in the garage.

Edited by NickF1011

...or do as I do and hang something on a string from the ceiling so your windshield taps it (or make a mark on the wall that lines up with the side mirror, etc) when it's at the right depth in the garage.

We have a busted wiffle ball hanging from a string in our garage. :)

Pull in too far, you can't walk through the front. Not far enough and the hatch won't open.

We have a busted wiffle ball hanging from a string in our garage. :)

Pull in too far, you can't walk through the front. Not far enough and the hatch won't open.

I use a tennis ball. My garage is pretty tight. If I pull in too far I can't walk around the car to get to my toolbox.

We have laser pointers on the ceiling attached to the garage door openers. When you break the sensor it turns on for a few minutes. Just line up the red dot on the dash and you're all set. Tennis or wiffle balls also work along with several electronic sensors on the back wall.

We have laser pointers on the ceiling attached to the garage door openers. When you break the sensor it turns on for a few minutes. Just line up the red dot on the dash and you're all set. Tennis or wiffle balls also work along with several electronic sensors on the back wall.

Well aren't you high tech? :hysterical:

Lasers are way cooler! :)

Or maybe learn the dimensions of your vehicle, adjust your mirrors appropriately to see where your vehicle is at when parking.

I back into my garage with the F150, with the passenger side mirror maybe 3-4 inches away from the wall. Have plenty of items stored behind the truck and must pull in just enough to ensure the door shuts. People are always amazed when they see how close I get to the wall and wonder how I get the truck in/out. The tennis/wiffle ball has always been a good tool, but never needed them.

Or maybe learn the dimensions of your vehicle, adjust your mirrors appropriately to see where your vehicle is at when parking.

I back into my garage with the F150, with the passenger side mirror maybe 3-4 inches away from the wall. Have plenty of items stored behind the truck and must pull in just enough to ensure the door shuts. People are always amazed when they see how close I get to the wall and wonder how I get the truck in/out. The tennis/wiffle ball has always been a good tool, but never needed them.

Just a peace of mind thing for me. I park as close as absolutely possible to where the door shuts down with the Mustang to save space where my workbench is in the garage in front of the car. I'd hate to miss it by 1/4 inch just once. :runaway::cry:

Just a peace of mind thing for me. I park as close as absolutely possible to where the door shuts down with the Mustang to save space where my workbench is in the garage in front of the car. I'd hate to miss it by 1/4 inch just once. :runaway::cry:

Exactly! And it's not like it's in the way. It takes the guess work out, and heck, probably saves me a few seconds trying to gauge it. Not to mention, that's my wife's normal parking spot. I park in my 34' deep shed so I don't have any concerns.

Oh, and mirrors on cars absolutely suck! I hate them! Of course, the mirrors on my truck are as big as the windshield on many small cars...

Oh, and mirrors on cars absolutely suck! I hate them! Of course, the mirrors on my truck are as big as the windshield on many small cars...

My Edge is a pretty wide pig with the mirrors not folded also. I usually fold them in before putting it in the garage (it usually parks outside) just to make it easier.

Edited by NickF1011

My Edge is a pretty wide pig with the mirrors not folded also. I usually fold them in before putting it in the garage (it usually parks outside) just to make it easier.

This, is a mirror. I have extra-wide garage doors on my shed, and I can fit the truck in with the mirrors unfolded as long as they aren't extended. But extend them, and the truck is too wide to fit...

163_0612_02z%2B2008_ford_super_duty%2Bmi

Edited by fordmantpw

Slamming the car into park is a bad idea no matter what the reason period. No other car I know does this.

Slamming the car into park is a bad idea no matter what the reason period. No other car I know does this.

I very much doubt it's a Ford exclusive feature. And it won't do it at any speeds over a few MPH. Chances of any damage occurring because of it are minimal. Certainly lower than the chances of a car accidentally driving over something or someone because they accidentally left it in gear when they opened the door and got out of it. :shrug:

Only end advice: adapt.

• 2 weeks later...

I very much doubt it's a Ford exclusive feature. And it won't do it at any speeds over a few MPH. Chances of any damage occurring because of it are minimal. Certainly lower than the chances of a car accidentally driving over something or someone because they accidentally left it in gear when they opened the door and got out of it. :shrug:

Only end advice: adapt.

I have to disagree, This can't be any good for the transmission and I've been driving since 1970 and have never come close to accidentally leaving it in gear when opening the door and getting out of it. :shrug: Anyway, I still hate it.

I have to disagree, This can't be any good for the transmission and I've been driving since 1970 and have never come close to accidentally leaving it in gear when opening the door and getting out of it. :shrug: Anyway, I still hate it.

Any guesses that Ford's lawyers advised them to include this feature? A damaged transmission won't result in as expensive a lawsuit as a car accidentally left in gear running somebody over would.

Any guesses that Ford's lawyers advised them to include this feature? A damaged transmission won't result in as expensive a lawsuit as a car accidentally left in gear running somebody over would.

So why not add this in all Ford cars? I suppose that some people forget to push a "P" button?