What is a "Bump"?

There is another forum monitored by someone that provides tracking/status information for vehicles that have been ordered, but not yet delivered. The rules for the voluntary, benevolent service state that the way to request an update on a vehicle is to "bump" the thread, but I don't find instructions describing how to do so. Since I'm older than dirt I do know how to dance the '70's disco era "Bump", but I don't know how to do it to these threads. Would someone be so kind as to illucidate me?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I understand the bump terminology now. But it doesn't explain why I have to go to the end, or the last page, within a topic to see the latest replies. Unless I am doing something wrong. So if there are 20 pages within a topic, the most recent will be on page 20. Is that correct?

Edited by MyGreatEscape

2 hours ago, MyGreatEscape said:

I understand the bump terminology now. But it doesn't explain why I have to go to the end, or the last page, within a topic to see the latest replies. Unless I am doing something wrong. So if there are 20 pages within a topic, the most recent will be on page 20. Is that correct?

Of course.  That’s normal.  If you want to go to the first unread post click on the star to the left of the title.  Or go to “unread content” then to Read Status and you can change it so clicking on the title takes you to the first unread item.

9 hours ago, akirby said:

Of course.  That’s normal.  If you want to go to the first unread post click on the star to the left of the title.  Or go to “unread content” then to Read Status and you can change it so clicking on the title takes you to the first unread item.

This really should be the default setting for the unread items list.  Not an issue on my computer, because I have a "custom" view set, but I haven't figured out how to get that setup on my phone, so I have to manually do it each time.

• 5 weeks later...
  • ice-capades changed the title to What is a "Bump"?