2014 Best Resale Value Award Winners Announced By Kelley Blue Book

Story: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/10-cars-and-trucks-with-the-best-resale-value-for-2014.html/?a=viewall

Press Release: http://mediaroom.kbb.com/2014-best-resale-value-award-winners-announced-kelley-blue-book

The 2014 model-year brand and category winners of the annual Best Resale Value Awards, recognizing vehicles for their projected retained value through the initial five-year ownership period, were announced today by Kelley Blue Book, www.kbb.com, the leading provider of new and used car information. Both Toyota and Lexus earned top honors for best brand and best luxury brand, and each of those top brands had six segment winners from a total of 22 different segments. Honda earned three segment awards, while Chevrolet captured two segment awards and placed an impressive three vehicles in the overall top 10 list.
"Capturing top honors for the third year in a row, Toyota and Lexus continue their Best Resale Value Awards Brand and Luxury Brand reign, earning an impressive 18 combined awards among the 2014 model-year lineups," said Eric Ibara, director of residual value consulting for Kelley Blue Book. "While both Toyota and Lexus continue to deliver incredible resale value, we also are impressed with the strides made by Chevrolet, which tops domestic automakers with five combined awards, and Subaru with its Impreza making its way back to the top spot in its segment."
Kelley Blue Book's Best Resale Value Awards are in its 12th year and are based on projections from the Kelley Blue Book® Official Residual Value Guide. Kelley Blue Book® Residual Values are established by experienced automotive analysts that review the output from the statistical models built upon millions of transactions. Vehicles that earn the highest five-year residual values, expressed as a percentage of their original Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) are selected for these prestigious awards. Low-volume vehicles and vehicles with an MSRP of more than $60,000 are excluded from award consideration, except in the luxury and high-performance categories.

Top Ten:

post-6726-0-36251500-1385392984.png

post-6726-0-36251500-1385392984_thumb.png

Edited by Intrepidatious

KBB is becoming as bad as Consumer Reports in terms of their vehicular "expertise"....ANYONE that thinks an FJ Cruiser is worth 80% of its MSRP after 5 years needs drug screening....KBB is a GUIDE, and in this case a very inaccurate one....we constantlyhave people coming in with trade ins stating KBB numbers...when they border on ridiculous we sometimes ask the customer if KBB would honor thier estimate....fact is, they DONT BUY CARS.....

KBB is becoming as bad as Consumer Reports in terms of their vehicular "expertise"....ANYONE that thinks an FJ Cruiser is worth 80% of its MSRP after 5 years needs drug screening....KBB is a GUIDE, and in this case a very inaccurate one....we constantlyhave people coming in with trade ins stating KBB numbers...when they border on ridiculous we sometimes ask the customer if KBB would honor thier estimate....fact is, they DONT BUY CARS.....

That is true. I used to tell people shave 10-30% off of KBB value and you have a chance at selling. I used to sell things like Ford Taurus over KBB all day, also.

Consumer reports is ridiculous there is something going on there.

Those Wrangler have a crazy resale value.

Test-drove a new one last week. That Pentastar didn't impressed me.

Had a '97 Wrangler for about 4 years...nothing but problems and just a very primitive POS. I fully understood what a Wrangler was and wasn't supposed to be, but that was the worst vehicle I've ever had. Sold it for FAR less than the residual shown above and promptly and happily ran for the hills.

Had a '97 Wrangler for about 4 years...nothing but problems and just a very primitive POS. I fully understood what a Wrangler was and wasn't supposed to be, but that was the worst vehicle I've ever had. Sold it for FAR less than the residual shown above and promptly and happily ran for the hills.

Really??? The worst? Then you do not understand what you bought. I've bought 3 in a row and own 2 now. All 4 doors and LOADED. My present 2 Wranglers 2012/2013 remaining (my wife and I) both have the Pentastar V6 - and it is incredible compared to the old motor in the 2010. My latest Wrangler is the 2013 10th Anniversary Rubison - worth every penny, every bump and every noise. Love it. That's what it is. Loud, bumpy and capable. I've towed a Dodge RAM Diesel that could not get up an icy hill. Seriously. They rock.

Now, my daughters 2013 Titanium Escape is fantastic....drives like a mercedes S-class compared to my Wranglers. In fact in our recent 12 hour trip to Toronto and back, we took the Escape - because well, its awesome on the highway. Wrangler = NO for comfort and YES for fun. Look guys. The Wrangler is an undefinable vehicle. DONT EVEN TRY. And, as long as my daughter lives at home, I'm happy with 2 wranglers......but yes, we will replace one when she leaves. If I could only have one vehicle, that would be it....for the money. Money no object a Porsche Cayenne GTS please.

I've blown 120K on 3 them in 4 years and wouldn't change a damn thing about them.....except a diesel - and maybe a reclining second row. That's it. I fear what they do in 2017 when the replace it.

PS: My 17 yr old son is buying a older Wrangler too. There is simply NO 18-25 YR MALE VEHICLE IN FORDS' LINEUP that is not a car. The F150 is ridiculously large.....the Explorer...haha. Not even close.

KBB is a GUIDE, and in this case a very inaccurate one....we constantly have people coming in with trade ins stating KBB numbers...when they border on ridiculous we sometimes ask the customer if KBB would honor thier estimate...

Exactly, but....

I've seen many dealers/salespeople quote KBB and NADA, or their little black book on the used car prices on their lot. Just as these sources are estimates for consumers, dealers must also remember their sales price is just an estimate. If the dealer wants to hold firm on their sales price based on these sources and factors, there is no reason a consumer shouldn't as well.

EDIT: As for the vehicles listed, I'd only look at purchasing a Wrangler or the Challenger. Otherwise none of the others interest me one bit.

Edited by V8-X

Out of curiosity, do any sources rank the worst resale values? There are many great vehicles that for a variety of reasons don't hold their value well and can be bargains used....

According to cars.com:

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=buy&story=loResidual&subject=best_resale

That was the first article I grabbed. Looking a little deeper, it seems every site or blogger has a different opinion and the models are all over the place, from econo boxes to high end luxury and euro sport.

Edited by transitman