2013 Escapes recalled, again

Ford to Recall Escapes Again for Oil, Fuel Leaks

The hot-selling SUV has been recalled seven times since it was redesigned and went on sale in the spring of 2012.

The first of two recalls announced Tuesday affects more than 161,000 Escapes worldwide from the 2013 model year with 1.6-liter four-cylinder engines.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/ford-recall-escapes-oil-fuel-leaks-21015222

This is just F'ked up. While I wholeheartedly feel the company is headed in the right direction these mistakes cause a feeding frenzy for the Ford haters of which there are many. The number of mistakes just has to be reduced. No one expects perfection, since we're all human that is really impossible however, this many mistakes is just unacceptable.

• Like 2

I've explained why I think they had these problems rushing to get the new global vehicles out the door to achieve massive cost savings. I also expect Ford to pull back now that they've achieved those cost savings and can go back to focusing more on quality. If they're still having these problems in 2 years then it will be a big concern. But this won't affect sales.

At this point, after seven recalls, I'd be pretty ticked off if I had a 1.6L. Why is it only the Escape that's mentioned in the recall and not the Fusion. This engine has been around since 2010 in the Euro market, why is it suddenly having all these problems? Is it the design, is it Bridgend, is it the suppliers, come on Ford, get a handle on this.

At this point, after seven recalls, I'd be pretty ticked off if I had a 1.6L. Why is it only the Escape that's mentioned in the recall and not the Fusion. This engine has been around since 2010 in the Euro market, why is it suddenly having all these problems? Is it the design, is it Bridgend, is it the suppliers, come on Ford, get a handle on this.

It seems to be limited to the Escape assembly plant.

It seems to be limited to the Escape assembly plant.

I still don't know why it's just the Escape, maybe the Fusion wasn't mentioned, yet, because the Escape is more recognizable and familiar. I still think it has to be engine design, parts or engine assembly over final assembly. The plant is just putting a pre assembled part into a designated location, tightening it down and passing it down the line.

Edited by transitman

Engines still have to be connected to the rest of the vehicle (oil coolers e.g.) and other parts added/installed. It could also have been a single batch of parts that were only sent to LAP not Hermosillo.

Very true, didn't think of that. By now you would think the folks on the assembly line would be on auto pilot, but maybe that's the problem, lack of concentration. Then there's this from the Detroit News article: because of fires caused by overheating of the engine cylinder head, which can crack and leak oil.

Very true, didn't think of that. By now you would think the folks on the assembly line would be on auto pilot, but maybe that's the problem, lack of concentration. Then there's this from the Detroit News article: because of fires caused by overheating of the engine cylinder head, which can crack and leak oil.

You can overheat the engine by simply not putting the coolant overflow cap on correctly. Or not properly connecting the hoses.

It has to be engine design or engine assembly, or a combination of both. The 1.6 has been so much more troublesome that the 2.0 and 2.5. The 2.0 has been in several other vehicles without a large amount of issues. I am no a fan of the 1.6. However, since the launch and all the oil leaks and trouble we have seen, the number of issues have dropped. Also, the coolant system in the 1.6 is very complicated. The system has 4 phases it goes through depending on engine temp and load. It uses various valves to do the phases. My opinion is Ford is running higher than normal engine temps to get the fuel mileage, which requires higher cooling system pressure to raise the boiling point, it also requires over engineered cooling system to maintain. However, it seems to work fine until it starts to get too hot it will run out of control and self destruct. Makes me think of a runaway diesel engine.

At this point, after seven recalls, I'd be pretty ticked off if I had a 1.6L.

I don't think there are any that have been affected by all 7 recalls. Doubt most owners have been affected by more than a couple since they have been relatively spread out across production dates.

Edited by NickF1011

I cant open the link Transitman, but I did see something stating something about Engine Coolant contamination?...

So, it didn't take you to a data file host with a download link? I was able to download, but when I try to paste the doc here I get this message:

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

Here's a link to the post in the Ford Escape.org forum, post #38

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/engine-technical-discussion/9922-new-recall-2013-escape-13s12-4.html