2015 Mustang to offer....a Live axle?

Ford sells a direct-from-the-factory Mustang drag race car already, the CobraJet, so obviously that market is big enough for Ford to be addressing now. I wouldn't call it a huge stretch to think they will continue to do so.

I understand, but that's live axle to live axle so it's pretty much a "piece of cake." No big changes to the assembly process. But stocking totally unique suspension bits from the IRS and installing them on line in the same package space as the IRS is where the issues lie in both engineering and manufacturing. Particularly if that chassis line at FRAP continues to be as confined as I remember it. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will require a lot more effort -- which means more cost and less benefit to Ford.

The link with drag racing is considered by many to be core to the brand, so it sounds like some sort of accommodation is in the wind. At the reveal I attended, there was a question on live axle, and there was no real answer, just some dancing around. But there also wasn't a "no" which I take to mean that something is happening.

To satiate this vocal demographic, Ford will sell a body-in-white version of the Stang, complete with a nine-inch rear axle, that will debut at the 2014 Performance Racing Industry show. The news came from gas2.org, which cited an unnamed employee of Ford Racing at this year's PRI show.

Why on Earth would Ford use a rear end that has been out of production at FoMoCo for over 25 years?? the 8.8 is a superior unit that is still used and produced by Ford and shares many of its internal components with both live axle, IRS and IFS applications....

Edited by twintornados

Why on Earth would Ford use a rear end that has been out of production at FoMoCo for over 25 years?? the 8.8 is a superior unit that is still used and produced by Ford and shares many of its internal components with both live axle and IRS applications....

:headscratch: The 9 inch is far more robust, especially in aftermarket applications. The 8.8 is no slouch, but in severe duty high torque applications, it doesn't beat the 9 inch.

The 9 inch is the gold standard, with huge aftermarket support.

And one posibility is a "drag pack" special - a body in white sent to an offsite facility where modifications are made to the floorpan to accomodate a leaf spring supported live axle and modified wheelhousings. Who said that a drag car needs a back seat and stock fuel tank anyway?

For reference:

In theory, what you'd do is pull the IRS components out, use the existing shock mounts, and bolt an extension (assuming there's clearance for it) onto the mounting point of the camber links (the single red links at the top of the suspension assembly). You'd then bolt the Panhard Rod or Watt's Linkage to the back side of the SRA and to the extensions. Although, thinking about it, you might be able to put the offset in the rod/linkage pieces themselves.

There doesn't appear to be much room for springs, and I wonder if you wouldn't possibly have to do a coil-over-shock setup, if there's clearance for that.

the drawing doesn't show the location of the Differential, which is smaller (because it isn't load bearing) mounted lower in the frame (because it doesn't have to maintain the axle line) and the entire floorpan has been pressed down to take advatage of the Space the IRS frees up.

there isn't any space left for the pumpkin of a SRA to move.

The 9 inch is the gold standard, with huge aftermarket support.

And one posibility is a "drag pack" special - a body in white sent to an offsite facility where modifications are made to the floorpan to accomodate a leaf spring supported live axle and modified wheelhousings. Who said that a drag car needs a back seat and stock fuel tank anyway?

:hysterical: :hysterical:

• Like 1

the drawing doesn't show the location of the Differential, which is smaller (because it isn't load bearing) mounted lower in the frame (because it doesn't have to maintain the axle line) and the entire floorpan has been pressed down to take advatage of the Space the IRS frees up.

there isn't any space left for the pumpkin of a SRA to move.

1 - Probably, the rear end of the vehicle would have to be lifted, and this would probably have to be done for drag slicks anyway...................... I can't imagine that the IRS would be overmatched by any power sent through it that would not also require upgrading the tires to drag specs.

2 - The rear axle doesn't need a lot of travel because it's going to be driven on smooth surfaces in straight lines.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1