1.6 litre eco boost Escape engine

bobbyd

Thanks for the response. Wow, they must be shipping a lot of ocean freighters across the Atlantic to support production. Probably trains mostly to Kansas once they hit port! $$$$$

Ford no longer assembles the Escape in Kansas City, that plant builds the F150 and Transit. NA assembly plants that would have the Ecoboost 1.6L shipped to them are in Michigan, Louisville and Hermosillo, Mexico.

Thanks for the response. Wow, they must be shipping a lot of ocean freighters across the Atlantic to support production. Probably trains mostly to Kansas once they hit port! $$$$$

Not really. Shipping just the parts is much more efficient and saves a ton of space than shipping the car fully assembled. Just think how many 1.6 engines you can get in a cargo container versus how many fully assembled cars.

Ford no longer assembles the Escape in Kansas City, that plant builds the F150 and Transit. NA assembly plants that would have the Ecoboost 1.6L shipped to them are in Michigan, Louisville and Hermosillo, Mexico.

Michigan Assembly builds the Focus... The Fiesta is built in Cuiatilan Mexico. Only NA vehicles with the 1.6L Ecoboost are the Escape, Fusion, and Fiesta ST.

Being built in Wales, explains all the recall on the 1.6.

Strangely, only in the North American application. No recalls for the 1.6 EB from the rest of Ford's global markets, nor from Volvo which uses this engine across its vehicle line up.

• 2 weeks later...

From NHTSA site

REMEDY:

Ford will notify owners, and dealers will modify the engine shielding, cooling and control systems, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin by January 23, 2014. Owners may contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's recall number is 13S12.

As the new Lincoln version is available only with a 2.0 and 2.3 ltr motor, is the 1.6 going to be history in 2015?

No. Does the Cadillac XTS share the same base engine as the Impala? Hardly ever do you see a premium brand share the same base, or near base engine. If anything they would get rid of the 2.5L but even that is unlikely.

As the two platforms are identical, I don't see FMC offering differnt motr options in both. They never did so before this. I don't see the 1.6 ltr being a big seller in any case. Even more so after the recall issues.

275 hp in the 2.3 is a nice option.

the 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder offers best-in-class performance even when measured against competitors' six-cylinder engines. The 2.3-liter EcoBoost offers projected best-in-class horsepower per liter and best-in-class torque per liter, generating 275 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 300 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,000 rpm, according to preliminary test data.

2.5 standard. 2.0 standard SE, Titanium with the 2.3 an option. that would make a nice lineup.

Edited by rscalzo

As the two platforms are identical, I don't see FMC offering differnt motr options in both. They never did so before this. I don't see the 1.6 ltr being a big seller in any case. Even more so after the recall issues.

I would expect Ford to have lower output standard engines and Lincoln to have the highest output top of the line engines and they'll share the ones in between (2.0L is Escape top end but MKC base engine while Escape gets the 1.5L and MkC gets the 2.3L).

This is typical now - the Fusion gets the 1.6L/1.5L EB and 2.0L EB while the MKZ gets the 2.0L EB and 3.7L V6.

Michigan Assembly builds the Focus... The Fiesta is built in Cuiatilan Mexico. Only NA vehicles with the 1.6L Ecoboost are the Escape, Fusion, and Fiesta ST.

OK....?

I was pointing out that you listed the wrong plants. The only one that you said properly was the Escape's Louisville plant.

Why does the 1.6L engine use coolant?Were is the engine coolant going cylinder head??

The 1.6L engine, like every engine, uses coolant to keep the block and head temperatures at a reasonable operating condition. Combustion temps are in the thousands of degrees, but your engine block wants to stay under 500F (normal operating range is ~250-300 for the block/heads) to keep from warping (and then having even more leaking issues). So, the water pump circulates coolant through the block and the head (via water jackets that are molded into the block/head), where the metal heats up the coolant. It then goes to the radiator, which cools the coolant off from forced convection via the ambient air (either because you're driving, or your fan is on forcing air through the radiator).

275 hp in the 2.3 is a nice option.

2.5 standard. 2.0 standard SE, Titanium with the 2.3 an option. that would make a nice lineup.

The fusion/mkz have different engine offerings. Fusion = 2.5L 1.5L ecoboost (and technically 1.6L ecoboost for manual), 2.0L ecoboost, hybrid, plug in hybrid. MKZ = 2.0L ecoboost, 3.7L TiVCT, hybrid.

MKZ doesn't have the base 2.5L or 1.5L Ecoboost.

I would expect the MKC to carry the 2.3L in leiu of the 3.7L... both put out about the same power (the 2.3L is rumored to put out more than the 3.7L in the mustang). And the 2.5L and 1.5L on the Escape should stay there as entry level options, but not be available on the luxury MKC... Just like the Fusion/MKZ.

Here's to hoping Lincoln will at some point call these cars real names instead of confusing letters. I can keep them straight (though no one else in my family can)... but whenever I say MKC/MKZ, it's hard to hear the difference between the two.