GM's Reuss: 'I want to get my hands on' Ford's new pickup

interesting comment here...

He says that GM "can play that game really easily" because it has technology to join aluminum panels without the use of rivets, which he calls "probably more advanced than anything in the industry.".......how quickly he seems to have forgotten Jaguars process, recognized as an industry leader and initially developed by...........( fill in the blanks, rhymes with Bored )

• Like 3

I have been involved in two studies where Ford and a competitor traded prototypes for a couple of days. Unlike the MIG 25 that landed in Japan at one point, there was no disassembly allowed, so we didn't return the car undriveable with a pile of parts in the front seat!

• Like 1

two words pop to mind regarding GMs reactions AFTER the releaseof their apparent "groundbreaking" new half tons.....demoralized and Humbled....I swear Ford has become increasingly hard to compete with, and dare I say it, it may be a result of the "mortgage" and taking action way prior to the bailouts....

SO GM's answer to the new F150 is the Canyon/ Colorado, a truck that is smaller and less capable and probably prices the same? Wow... I would have fired him at the next meeting.

Well, no need to get arrogant... GM is making lemonade with lemons.

Remember when the GM fullsize design initially began... before the bankruptcy, and before the 2017 CAFE regs were finalized. In fact, GM's fullsize trucks were delayed by 24 months (with design frozen) because of the bankruptcy so had things not gone so bad, the Chevy/GMC fullsize trucks would be 3 years old now instead of 1 year old. So their backup plan to 2017 CAFE is to bring back the midsize trucks. I can't fault them for doing this given that it was too late to really change anything on the fullsize trucks.

Ford had fortunate timing on its side. F-150 is the first fullsize truck to have its final design locked in after 2017 CAFE regs were finalized. Ford has a clear reading of the regulatory path (and hurdles) when designing the 2015 F-150. GM had no such luck... the design of their fullsize were locked in when there wasn't even a draft 2017 CAFE.

The interesting thing to see now is what Fiat would do. Ram will be the next pickup truck to have final design lock after 2017 CAFE regs. I have a feeling it will also be aluminum intensive.

Meanwhile, the noise you hear is the balloon deflating in Tennessee. Nissan is now doomed. They don't have the volume to justify the kind of investment needed to keep pace with not just Ford but GM and Chrysler as well. If I'm Nissan, this is a sign that I should exit the truck business in North America.

Edited by bzcat

two words pop to mind regarding GMs reactions AFTER the release of their apparent "groundbreaking" new half tons.....demoralized and Humbled....I swear Ford has become increasingly hard to compete with, and dare I say it, it may be a result of the "mortgage" and taking action way prior to the bailouts....

...and the foresight of Bill Ford Jr to realize that he was in over his head and that he NEEDED outside help in the form of Alan Mulally to get Ford on track in the first place? The credit for the salvation of FoMoCo is in the humility of Bill and that he didn't let "ego" run the company with his name on the door into the ground.

• Like 2

This was posted over at GMI.

Automotive News email alert

January 13, 2014

DETROIT -- General Motorsicon1.png is considering adding a small-displacement diesel engine to its Chevrolet and GMC 1500 pickups to boost fuel economy.

In the pickup fuel economy race, GM's trucks trail the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and new Ford F-150.

Steve Kiefer, GM's vice president of global powertrain, said today at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit that all options are open, including possibly reviving a diesel engineicon1.png that had been intended for GM trucks five years ago.

That engine, a 4.5-liter V-8, was to be built in GM's Tonawanda, N.Y., engine plant. GM had gone as far as clearing factory floor space and installing the transfer lines when financial problems caused the company to put the brakes on the engine.

"We are looking closely at diesel entrees in that segment," said Kiefer. "In fact, I heard the terms 'dust off' that 4½-liter at one point. That is certainly one of the options. Clearly, we have a portfolio of diesel enginesicon1.png," he said.

GM's full-sized trucks were redesigned last year, so it is unlikely that that the bodies could be switched to aluminum until the next redesign. A diesel engine could give GM a high fuel economy option for its trucks much sooner.

I sense some panic here. I am not overly impressed with all of the new gizmos on the F150 but the weight reduction is a big deal. They have been overweight for years so I think we are looking at maybe 250-300 lbs lighter than the GM trucks. But, you shave off 6-700 lbs and dont change another thing its gotta be worth a mpg at least on existing engines.

This was posted over at GMI.

I sense some panic here. I am not overly impressed with all of the new gizmos on the F150 but the weight reduction is a big deal. They have been overweight for years so I think we are looking at maybe 250-300 lbs lighter than the GM trucks. But, you shave off 6-700 lbs and dont change another thing its gotta be worth a mpg at least on existing engines.

Yep, I think GM is a bit panicked. They are thinking of something to throw out that there nobody else has, and that's probably all they can come up with. Even if GM were to offer the 4.5L diesel, it's not going to trump the 2.7L in fuel economy. The 4.5L probably wouldn't even match the F150 in towing due to weight. I'm betting the the 2.7L EB will be a stone's-throw from the Ram diesel on much cheaper fuel. Then, when the Ford get's the 10-speed tranny in place, look for the 2.7L to beat the Ram diesel in fuel economy. Heck, the 2.7L may even beat it with the old 6 speed tranny!

Mark Reuss talks a good game about what GM can do but the reality is that '14 Silverado was all it was prepared to do..

GM felt that the current Silverado was enoughto get them back into the showroom.

Reuss was shown the pre production / prototype F-150s a number of times over the past 4 months.
This is a standard procedure at Ford and GM - they show each other their latest models a few months

before official launch. It's been going on for decades.

Edited by jpd80

Yep, I think GM is a bit panicked. They are thinking of something to throw out that there nobody else has, and that's probably all they can come up with. Even if GM were to offer the 4.5L diesel, it's not going to trump the 2.7L in fuel economy. The 4.5L probably wouldn't even match the F150 in towing due to weight. I'm betting the the 2.7L EB will be a stone's-throw from the Ram diesel on much cheaper fuel. Then, when the Ford get's the 10-speed tranny in place, look for the 2.7L to beat the Ram diesel in fuel economy. Heck, the 2.7L may even beat it with the old 6 speed tranny!

This.

GM may be forced to respond with a 3.0 version of TTV6 in the Silverado and what a day that will be......

Imagine the pressure on GM to deliver a turbo engine without the design maturity of Ford's Ecoboost.

Edited by jpd80

Reuss is good, and he is in a position to make a big difference in GM product. Ford would have probably been better off if Reuss had been named CEO, as that would have taken him away from the cars and trucks and buried him in all the corporate B.S.. If Barra is smart enough to bask in her own glory leave Reuss alone things could get ugly in a few years.

Meanwhile, the noise you hear is the balloon deflating in Tennessee. Nissan is now doomed. They don't have the volume to justify the kind of investment needed to keep pace with not just Ford but GM and Chrysler as well. If I'm Nissan, this is a sign that I should exit the truck business in North America.

Meanwhile, Honda didn't spend a ton of money on a vehicle that competed directly against the F-150 and Silverado. Maybe the Ridgeline isn't so dumb after all...

It will be interesting to see Toyota's moves in the coming years. I can't see Toyota vacating this market.

Edited by grbeck

"I'll show him the Corvette and the Colorado and he can show me the F150". NOT. The F150 to a large degree is Fords bread and butter. Reuss is no dummy, he knows that as well as Fields. I think he may be surprised at how much his "friend" Fields may be willing to disclose. Some of this stuff will be considered "corporate intellectual property" which basically means SECRET.

As far as seeing the Corvette and Colorado, he's trying to get a date with a hot movie star by offering a dinner out with a third string quarterback from a non-playoff team. Won't happen.

I haven't seen the new redesigned Ridgeline but I am a bit surprised they went through the exercise to be honest. Those sales numbers are pretty poor and always have been.

If I recall correctly, the Ridgeline shares a platform (and a fair number of other parts) with the Odyssey, Pilot and Acura MDX. So Honda can afford to sell relatively few of them and still make a profit.

It will never come close to generating Ram sales figures - let alone F-Series sales figures - but I'm guessing that Honda makes money on it. It carves out a very small niche in the market, but one that keeps dealers and customers satisfied.

"I'll show him the Corvette and the Colorado and he can show me the F150". NOT. The F150 to a large degree is Fords bread and butter. Reuss is no dummy, he knows that as well as Fields. I think he may be surprised at how much his "friend" Fields may be willing to disclose. Some of this stuff will be considered "corporate intellectual property" which basically means SECRET.

As far as seeing the Corvette and Colorado, he's trying to get a date with a hot movie star by offering a dinner out with a third string quarterback from a non-playoff team. Won't happen.

i hear you on that,i would have said fuck that watered down ferrari looking vette,and that garbage truck. :happy feet:

Reuss is good, and he is in a position to make a big difference in GM product. Ford would have probably been better off if Reuss had been named CEO, as that would have taken him away from the cars and trucks and buried him in all the corporate B.S.. If Barra is smart enough to bask in her own glory leave Reuss alone things could get ugly in a few years.

This is all wrong. Having a clueless CEO is *never* good for business. Saying that Barra should leave Reuss alone is hardly a sound business approach. Reuss is head of PD, that means he's getting all the P&L projections second hand, and the person who's getting them (Barra) has no clue how to interpret them.

If you don't have sound profit, volume and cost projections because they're being churned out by morons and approved by a moron, all your mad product genius skills are wasted.

Because it's not about the product, it's about the customer. And if you don't know who your customers are, what they want and what they're prepared to spend, it doesn't matter how awesome C&D thinks your car is.