Ford powered toys?

I was reading about the two guys with the Mustangs in the Ring brothers thread. I know some have mentioned their toys as time has gone by...but I thought a thread might be cool.

I have a 72 Gran Torino Sport with a 393 stroker Cleveland and a 5 speed. Project in progress, but I've gotten it safe & legal to drive, so it's now a lot of fun.

20130920_121321.jpg

• Like 7

I was reading about the two guys with the Mustangs in the Ring brothers thread. I know some have mentioned their toys as time has gone by...but I thought a thread might be cool.

I have a 72 Gran Torino Sport with a 393 stroker Cleveland and a 5 speed. Project in progress, but I've gotten it safe & legal to drive, so it's now a lot of fun.

20130920_121321.jpg

Nice-something different. what is fuel system? Trans? Rear end gears? Any guess on HP?

Nice-something different. what is fuel system? Trans? Rear end gears? Any guess on HP?

Thank you.

Currently it has a stock fuel tank with a Carter mechanical fuel pump. Lines from the tank to the pump are stainless 3/8" lines. From the pump to the carb are braided steel running through a regulator to a 750 Edelbrock carb. Future plans are for a new fuel tank with an in-tank fuel pump. I will convert this to EFI when the financial resources are in place.

The trans is a T-5 out of a 1995 Mustang GT that has been beefed up (as much as you can beef up a T-5). I'm running a cheap parts store clutch and cheap rear U-joints (with a driveshaft loop), in hopes they will keep the shock from destroying the tranny. Future plans are for a TKO 600, again when $$ arrives.

The rear is a 9" Traction-Lok with 3.55 gears.

Calculations done on my machinists program (he builds race motors) show that **ideally** this little motor should put out 475-490 hp and 500ish lb ft at the crank. Based on "feathered' acceleration runs, I calculated about 375 wheel hp (430 crank). I still have some tweaking to do to find the rest, but I'm pretty happy with what I have. It will bark the 275/60-15's in 3rd, and will pull like a banshee from 1500-5000 rpm. The throttle will put a smile on your face.

Best part for me on this motor is how hard it runs considering I built it on a budget. The crank, rods, and pistons were used that I pulled from a race motor I built for a guy 5 years ago. He moved up to a stroker 514 and I traded him labor for the Cleveland. The heads are Aussie iron that I had the bowls blended and a 5 angle valve job. The cam is from another motor I bought that had a thrown rod. These kinds of swaps have netted me 450 hp +/- for less than $1500 in actual cash.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifFront view.jpgattachicon.gifSide view.jpg

My on going '65 FFR Daytona Coupe project. This is a completely home built kit, motor etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq5L95b41js

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoVyYU5HVe4

Some day I want to build their 33 HotRod. My issue is: I have to finish my car & build my wife's 71 Torino convertible first. I may not have enough years left to ever build another ;)

• Like 2

351CID: I love those old Torino's.. Great car!

Project-Fairmont: One of my favorite track cars of all time. Looks like a first class build

92LX302: You nailed the stance of that Mustang. The rear wheel offset really makes that car.

IMSA-XJR9: Great stance as well.. The wheels look great. I know a guy with a Mach that races at VIR.. Sweet ride.

MadManMoon: Nice Cobra, I bet that thing is fun open tracking...

Keep the pics coming. I love to see what ideas people come up with.

-Shannon

• Like 3

Thank you.

Currently it has a stock fuel tank with a Carter mechanical fuel pump. Lines from the tank to the pump are stainless 3/8" lines. From the pump to the carb are braided steel running through a regulator to a 750 Edelbrock carb. Future plans are for a new fuel tank with an in-tank fuel pump. I will convert this to EFI when the financial resources are in place.

The trans is a T-5 out of a 1995 Mustang GT that has been beefed up (as much as you can beef up a T-5). I'm running a cheap parts store clutch and cheap rear U-joints (with a driveshaft loop), in hopes they will keep the shock from destroying the tranny. Future plans are for a TKO 600, again when $$ arrives.

The rear is a 9" Traction-Lok with 3.55 gears.

Calculations done on my machinists program (he builds race motors) show that **ideally** this little motor should put out 475-490 hp and 500ish lb ft at the crank. Based on "feathered' acceleration runs, I calculated about 375 wheel hp (430 crank). I still have some tweaking to do to find the rest, but I'm pretty happy with what I have. It will bark the 275/60-15's in 3rd, and will pull like a banshee from 1500-5000 rpm. The throttle will put a smile on your face.

Best part for me on this motor is how hard it runs considering I built it on a budget. The crank, rods, and pistons were used that I pulled from a race motor I built for a guy 5 years ago. He moved up to a stroker 514 and I traded him labor for the Cleveland. The heads are Aussie iron that I had the bowls blended and a 5 angle valve job. The cam is from another motor I bought that had a thrown rod. These kinds of swaps have netted me 450 hp +/- for less than $1500 in actual cash.

Really nice choice. I still remember seeing my first '72 at the Ford showroom. I love the lines and the nose. It is a shame that the bumper regs for '73 cluttered up the clean shape of the '72.

Ok, you asked....

Here is a pic of me with my 'Other Wife':

Wow! Awesome! Owning one of these is on my Bucket List for sure. A thing of pure beauty!

I'm with silvrsvt - I want to build a FFR Cobra kit with the 5.0L Coyote someday. Still trying to talk my wife into doing the weekend course at their factory so we can get a feel for whether it's feasible for us to do it ourselves. We're both engineers by degree, and I've become a bit of a gearhead (changing brakes/rotors, suspension install, etc.), but I think a kit car assembly is a pretty big leap above that!

but I think a kit car assembly is a pretty big leap above that!

Meh. If you installed a suspension, you can probably build a kit car---mostly, you need the right tools. And the time.

Big thing about building the car, is, you don't have as many hassles working around stuff that's already there--or at least you shouldn't. The build order should minimize that, the same as they do on an assembly line.

Edited by RichardJensen

Meh. If you installed a suspension, you can probably build a kit car---mostly, you need the right tools. And the time.

Big thing about building the car, is, you don't have as many hassles working around stuff that's already there--or at least you shouldn't. The build order should minimize that, the same as they do on an assembly line.

Yea, thats what I thought too. Its entirely more abstract, the assembly manual is barely a reference. Thankfully there are 2 very active build forums to learn and share. I did not use a donor car per se, however the difficult part is finding solutions to certain (every...) things. The creativity is the best part though.

I am glad I knew not of what I was in for in for in terms of door, hood and overall body prep. The irony is I now know what to expect and would do another (maybe...).

Edited by Project-Fairmont
  • Like 1

Few shots of my toy... original owner '97 Cobra: 110,000 miles, Vortech S-trim @ 10 psi, fully-forged internals, stock heads, stock transmission, custom Roush body kit and exhaust, and boku suspension work.

The dyno is a little out of date, but still within 15-20 rwhp of where I'm at now.

Never had a good run with it at the track, as traction was horrible. Managed high 12's with a best trap speed of 118 (!!!) mph. I have a set of 17x9 MT drag radials ready to go on for the next track run, whenever that is.

post-15254-0-46552800-1390428653_thumb.jpgpost-15254-0-28762900-1390432836_thumb.jpgpost-15254-0-12949500-1390428670_thumb.jpgpost-15254-0-78399100-1390428683_thumb.jpgpost-15254-0-98426200-1390428713_thumb.jpgpost-15254-0-08087200-1390428634_thumb.jpgpost-15254-0-02602700-1390429344_thumb.jpgpost-15254-0-08586300-1390429276_thumb.jpgpost-15254-0-25244400-1390428699_thumb.jpgpost-15254-0-22829200-1390428728_thumb.jpg

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 4