How Ford Plans to Handle Insurance/Repair Questions

Any excellent driver with a clean driving record shouldn't mind a 10% increase. Someone really going to complain over $6-$7 more a month for what this new F150 really is?

10% will be more then $6 -$7 for the average driver and the average trim you see on an F-150...most I see are Crew Cab Limited 4WD. More like $12 -$15 increase or more (don't use yourself as an example remember this is for everyone who owns an F-150...according to Edmunds, that vehicle is more along the lines of $2,300 a year...but I think that is ridiculously high, especially if you factor in multi-car discounts and renters / homeowner discounts).

So, to respond...the answer is yes and no. People will pay a bit more in insurance, but that increase in insurance costs is a direct result of the aluminum that is supposed to be saving them money in fuel costs. If that cuts your fuel savings benefit in half, your cost of ownership doesn't have such a dramatic drop.

In a nutshell: Just buy the damn thing, you know you are going to anyway. I would.

...and don't see that as a dig on the new F-150 or it's use of aluminum. I totally dig it. Just wanted to put that in perspective.

Yes, there will also be a new engine that may increase the fuel economy even more, but it was not the reason the insurance costs went up. So I did not include that in the direct comparison of insurance increases vs. fuel savings due to the use of aluminum above. The new engine may make the fuel savings even more palatable however.

10% premium increases will cost me $20 more every month. But the lighter weight and new engine will save me at least $75 on gas per month given that I drive 2130 miles for work in highway every month. I assume the gas mileage will be 30mpg on highway for the new truck. The current F-150 has 23 mpg on high way. My calculation was based on $3.50 for a gallon of gas.

Edited by weiweishen

10% will be more then $6 -$7 for the average driver and the average trim you see on an F-150...most I see are Crew Cab Limited 4WD. More like $12 -$15 increase or more (don't use yourself as an example remember this is for everyone who owns an F-150...according to Edmunds, that vehicle is more along the lines of $2,300 a year...but I think that is ridiculously high, especially if you factor in multi-car discounts and renters / homeowner discounts).

So, to respond...the answer is yes and no. People will pay a bit more in insurance, but that increase in insurance costs is a direct result of the aluminum that is supposed to be saving them money in fuel costs. If that cuts your fuel savings benefit in half, your cost of ownership doesn't have such a dramatic drop.

In a nutshell: Just buy the damn thing, you know you are going to anyway. I would.

LOL, I would too as I'm so in love with the look of it but I need a diesel so I just ordered a 2015 F350 Platinum last week. I know Ill be kicking myself come 2017 when the new redesign comes out of the super duty but I need one now. One of the supporting vendors in MI last week from one of the diesel forum had a new F450 KR with M plates on it and it had LED headlights. So it seems Ford is already working on the superduty line to follow the F150 (I'll be kicking myself there too if it is a Job 2 or Job 3 addition with LED lights). Sorry to get off topic a bit...

But you are right, I didn't think of the whole multi car, homeowners etc that tie into discounted rates. Not everyone has multi cars or owns a home. I can say though that I am overinsured on my Harley Davidson F250 (different truck but same family) and with low deductibles I only pay $822 a year on it. Granted geography plays a roll in rates too but if someone is paying even $1,500 a year on an F150, that is just an insane price.

Edited by blwnsmoke

10% premium increases will cost me $20 more every month. But the lighter weight and new engine will save me $75 per month at least given that I drive 2130 miles for work in highway every month. I assume the gas mileage will be 30mpg on highway for the new truck. The current F-150 has 23 mpg on high way. My calculation was based on $3.50 for a gallon of gas.

What is that based on ($20 more a month)? Your signature says you have a Ford Fusion, you pay $2400 a year on a fusion?? If that's what you are basing it off of, you are comparing apples to oranges. The 10% increase Ford is estimating I'm sure is a 2014 F150 compared to a 2015 F150. Even then, I can't even begin to comprehend a $2,400 a year auto policy on 1 vehicle.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Think someone in their early 20's with a new car or even a performance car

But a Sports car is completely different then an F150. Maybe I'm out of touch with what insurance rates are being married and a clean driving record.

and lets face it, if one can afford a $50,000 truck, I don't know if they'd really have a fit over a $7-$15 a month increase in insurance for what this truck is now. I will say the Aluminum repair/replacement process does make me nervous though.

With my 2015 Platinum on order, I know my rates will go up a tad for it compared to my 07 Harley. I generally always expect a small increase with such a new vehicle.

Best advice is to shop around. You rarely ever see your insurance drop your price each year because your vehicle is worth less each year.

Edited by blwnsmoke

I have a 2007 fusion and I live in Michigan. I pay $1200 half year for my car insurance. Michigan is no-fault state, which means my insurance company has to pay the damages regardless which part did wrong on accident.

Thanks God, my fusion hasn't made me to make any big repair. So far, I only spend routine cost for the change of fluids and one oxygen sensor. It has had more than 130000 miles on it. Except the insurance, I haven't spent too much money on the car.

F250 insurance is substantially more expensive than F150 insurance. I had priced the insurance on a 2013 Platinum, vs my 2008 F250, and the insurance price would have gone down ALOT (we pay $800 a year for the SD).

Look up the insurance ratings on a F250 vs a 2014 F150. You will understand why the F250 is so much more expensive.

I would be surprised if a 2015 F150 would cost as much to insure as my F250. However, I do plan on checking when the 15's come out. I will have my agent run numbers on a 2014 and a 2015 Platinum.

I live in Michigan, have a 2004 Explorer, a 2009 Focus, and a 2011 Escape, with full coverage on all three, and I'm only paying a little over $1300 every 6 months for insurance. You must have either a bad driving record or a lousy agent.

I have 3 fiestas, including the new St, two sub 23 year old drivers puts me at $1600 every 6....rip off if you ask me....and over 25 years, it has NEVER, and I mean NEVER ever gone dowm, when something is mandated its a licence to print money....that said i used to be Mercury but switched to Ford ( Ameriprise ) which was $300 cheaper .....

I have 3 fiestas, including the new St, two sub 23 year old drivers puts me at $1600 every 6....rip off if you ask me....and over 25 years, it has NEVER, and I mean NEVER ever gone dowm, when something is mandated its a licence to print money....that said i used to be Mercury but switched to Ford ( Ameriprise ) which was $300 cheaper .....

I have a 15 year old in the pipeline right now learning to drive. I'm afraid to even think what it will do to my insurance.